Peru's Armed Forces buying weapons

ROCK45

I just read this article and was wondering why Peru would buy two different types of of the same weapons? If you didn't have a lot of money wouldn't cost more to train your forces and maintain two different types?

The Peruvian army recently signed a 25 million dollar contract with Russia’s state arms exporter Rosoboronexport for 244 Kornet long-range anti-tank missiles
Defense Ministry and army sources confirmed to IPS that a 48 million dollar purchase of another 244 Spike long-range anti-tank missiles, super-modern weapons manufactured by the Israel-based Rafael Advanced Systems, has also been approved, but not signed.
However, SNIP approved a 157 million dollar purchase to replace T-55 Soviet-made tanks with T-72M1 tanks, expected to be carried out before García’s term ends in July 2011.
It doesn't say how many T-72M1 tanks but I thought these were rumored going to Venezuela? Does Russia have enough tanks to supply both countries Peru and Venezuela with these tanks?

PERU: No Crisis for Arms Purchases
By Ángel Páez

http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=45349

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
T-72M1? I bet they're getting them from Ukraine, or other East-Europe dealers. If it was Russia then I bet they would be offered T-90A. The article doesn't say that Russia is the source of the T-72M1.

That's what happened with the Venezuelan situation too. First there was news Venezuela was interested in T-72 tanks, and then news that Russia was ready to sell T-90 tanks to Venezuela. By the way no contract was ever signed with Venezuela to my knowledge, so availability for both countries isn't even a problem at this point in time.

ROCK45

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Source

The Venezuela order is interesting I'm still not 100% sure what was delivered correct me if wrong I think:
Flankers
Hip-17
AKs'
Anti-ship missiles

Am I missing anything? The tanks, Yak-130's, SAM's, Sub's, artillery, I believe are basically rumors or Russia hasn't delivered them yet.

A friend help me on a different forum so I know the differences between the two types of anti-tank missiles. While both are good the Spike long-range anti-tank missiles attacks the top of the tanks and is fire and forget so I guess it may be more affective against Chile's Leo's 2 armor package. I'm not over looking the raw power of the Kornet it's a very powerful and nasty laser guided missile as well.

It just seems that $650 million just isn't enough to do all the things listed but it sure would have been nice if Peru could have picked up those ex-Algerian SMT fulcrums.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I just read this article and was wondering why Peru would buy two different types of of the same weapons? If you didn't have a lot of money wouldn't cost more to train your forces and maintain two different types?

It doesn't say how many T-72M1 tanks but I thought these were rumored going to Venezuela? Does Russia have enough tanks to supply both countries Peru and Venezuela with these tanks?

PERU: No Crisis for Arms Purchases
By Ángel Páez

http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=45349
Could be they just want to go the plain Jane route for T-72 so that a certain Israeli company can upgrade them, could of been part of the Spike purchase deal. Russia would not have a issue with reserve T-72 series tanks if they are even actually coming from them, but if this is the case they more than likely would not have a issue off loading older designs due to them wanting to go the all welded turret design offered by late T-90 series due to cost and protection values. Your buddy is correct in regards to both missiles.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The ex-Algerian Fulcrums are being bought by our MoD, just saw the article today.

EDIT: It looks like Peru is making a decision between the PT-91 Twardy from Poland and T-72M1 from (what it looks like) Russia.

http://arms-tass.su/?page=article&aid=64851&cid=25

They also are planning to modernize their Frogfoots, and Mirages, in addition to the Fulcrums. However it doesn't give any details, and lumps overhauls and modernization into one category, so it may just be overhauls that will be happening.

I wonder what timeframe the decision will be made in.

Last edited: