Osama Bin Laden dead

A

Aussie Digger

Bin Laden goone...

Unconfirmed reports that the CIA and Pakistani intelligence agents have located and kilked Bin Laden in Islamabad.

President Obama will be giving a press conference in a few moments...

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last edited:

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
Doubt it would change much, but still awesome news.

:gun
:sniper

:australia:usa:uk:canada

Good job to the US SF's.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
As good as this is, I think we better hold our hopes until we got clear confirmation.
I watched the press conference from 11:30 - 11:42 PM Eastern, where President Obama confirmed that Osama bin Laden has been killed, and that his remains are in custody. Short of getting actual photos of the body and/or video of his death, that is likely as good a confirmation as it can be.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Its been announced by the US President, you don't get more official then that.

Besides, apparrently it happened a while ago and they waited until they had DNA confirmation before announcing it.
From the new conference, it seemed that President Obama authorized the raid within the last 24 hours. The initial tip on his whereabouts came in about eight months ago, but the ultimate confirmation of that only occurred within the last week or so,.

ghanz

Pakistani new channels reporting a helicopter was shot down near abbottabad during the operation. No word by any american media if Pakistani military was involved. I highly doubt Americans would be able to carry out operation of such magnitude without ISI or Pakistani military, 50 km from Pakistani capital.

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
They are showing the CNN coverage here.

Multimilion dollar house that burnt their rubbish, had no internet or phones, couriers constantly going in and out and one of the residents matched the description.

High walls with barbed wire, two security gates

Saying it was a raid by USN Seals dropped in by helicopter. Raid was over in less then 40 minutes.

A

Aussie Digger

Confirmation coming through it was US Navy SEALS that conducted the mission...

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
I watched the press conference from 11:30 - 11:42 PM Eastern, where President Obama confirmed that Osama bin Laden has been killed, and that his remains are in custody. Short of getting actual photos of the body and/or video of his death, that is likely as good a confirmation as it can be.
Video: President Obama's speech on YouTube

"Good evening. Tonight, I can report to the American people and to the world that the United States has conducted an operation that killed Osama bin Laden, the leader of al Qaeda, and a terrorist who’s responsible for the murder of thousands of innocent men, women, and children.

It was nearly 10 years ago that a bright September day was darkened by the worst attack on the American people in our history. The images of 9/11 are seared into our national memory -- hijacked planes cutting through a cloudless September sky; the Twin Towers collapsing to the ground; black smoke billowing up from the Pentagon; the wreckage of Flight 93 in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, where the actions of heroic citizens saved even more heartbreak and destruction...

On September 11, 2001, in our time of grief, the American people came together. We offered our neighbors a hand, and we offered the wounded our blood. We reaffirmed our ties to each other, and our love of community and country. On that day, no matter where we came from, what God we prayed to, or what race or ethnicity we were, we were united as one American family...

Over the last 10 years, thanks to the tireless and heroic work of our military and our counterterrorism professionals, we’ve made great strides in that effort. We’ve disrupted terrorist attacks and strengthened our homeland defense. In Afghanistan, we removed the Taliban government, which had given bin Laden and al Qaeda safe haven and support. And around the globe, we worked with our friends and allies to capture or kill scores of al Qaeda terrorists, including several who were a part of the 9/11 plot.

Yet Osama bin Laden avoided capture and escaped across the Afghan border into Pakistan. Meanwhile, al Qaeda continued to operate from along that border and operate through its affiliates across the world...

Then, last August, after years of painstaking work by our intelligence community, I was briefed on a possible lead to bin Laden. It was far from certain, and it took many months to run this thread to ground. I met repeatedly with my national security team as we developed more information about the possibility that we had located bin Laden hiding within a compound deep inside of Pakistan. And finally, last week, I determined that we had enough intelligence to take action, and authorized an operation to get Osama bin Laden and bring him to justice.

Today, at my direction, the United States launched a targeted operation against that compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan. A small team of Americans carried out the operation with extraordinary courage and capability. No Americans were harmed. They took care to avoid civilian casualties. After a firefight, they killed Osama bin Laden and took custody of his body.

For over two decades, bin Laden has been al Qaeda’s leader and symbol, and has continued to plot attacks against our country and our friends and allies. The death of bin Laden marks the most significant achievement to date in our nation’s effort to defeat al Qaeda...

...Bin Laden was not a Muslim leader; he was a mass murderer of Muslims. Indeed, al Qaeda has slaughtered scores of Muslims in many countries, including our own. So his demise should be welcomed by all who believe in peace and human dignity.

Over the years, I’ve repeatedly made clear that we would take action within Pakistan if we knew where bin Laden was. That is what we’ve done. But it’s important to note that our counterterrorism cooperation with Pakistan helped lead us to bin Laden and the compound where he was hiding. Indeed, bin Laden had declared war against Pakistan as well, and ordered attacks against the Pakistani people.

Tonight, I called President Zardari, and my team has also spoken with their Pakistani counterparts. They agree that this is a good and historic day for both of our nations. And going forward, it is essential that Pakistan continue to join us in the fight against al Qaeda and its affiliates.

The American people did not choose this fight. It came to our shores, and started with the senseless slaughter of our citizens...

So Americans understand the costs of war. Yet as a country, we will never tolerate our security being threatened, nor stand idly by when our people have been killed. We will be relentless in defense of our citizens and our friends and allies. We will be true to the values that make us who we are. And on nights like this one, we can say to those families who have lost loved ones to al Qaeda’s terror: Justice has been done.

Tonight, we give thanks to the countless intelligence and counterterrorism professionals who’ve worked tirelessly to achieve this outcome. The American people do not see their work, nor know their names. But tonight, they feel the satisfaction of their work and the result of their pursuit of justice.

We give thanks for the men who carried out this operation, for they exemplify the professionalism, patriotism, and unparalleled courage of those who serve our country...

Finally, let me say to the families who lost loved ones on 9/11 that we have never forgotten your loss, nor wavered in our commitment to see that we do whatever it takes to prevent another attack on our shores...

The cause of securing our country is not complete. But tonight, we are once again reminded that America can do whatever we set our mind to. That is the story of our history, whether it’s the pursuit of prosperity for our people, or the struggle for equality for all our citizens; our commitment to stand up for our values abroad, and our sacrifices to make the world a safer place... "

Here's the video link for those who missed the speech live on CNN. Bin Laden was killed in Abbotabad, Pakistan.

Bush reacts to news of bin Laden’s death

“This momentous achievement marks a victory for America, for people who seek peace around the world, and for all those who lost loved ones on September 11, 2001..”
Former President George W Bush II​

Bush also said the U.S. “has sent an unmistakable message: No matter how long it takes, justice will be done.”

Last edited:
A

Aussie Digger

Pakistani new channels reporting a helicopter was shot down near abbottabad during the operation. No word by any american media if Pakistani military was involved. I highly doubt Americans would be able to carry out operation of such magnitude without ISI or Pakistani military, 50 km from Pakistani capital.

Apparently the compound was built in 2005...

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
"After a firefight, they killed Osama Bin Laden and took custody of his body"

Was he executed or should that have said "during a firefight"?

Kirkzzy

That's great news then, I had no idea when the press conference was. I saw it on the ABC earlier but couldn't believe it as the world media had said it before and been wrong.

STURM

And the Pakistani's have been denying for years that he was even in Pakistan... Some years ago Musharraf even claimed to have intel that OBL was dead.

Amidst the rejoicing let's bear in mind that OBL's death is largely symbolic, that the Al Qaeda leadership will have been planning for such an eventuality and that it will not effect Al Qaeda's ability to cause further mischief. It is widely believed that OBL was a ''source of inspiration'' for his followers and had no actual role in planning or approving any attacks. The Saudis for one will be very relieved as they would rather forget that OBL was a Saudi citizen..

Eeshaan

I am going to raise a toast tonight to honour all the US, UK & NATO servicemen killed in the war on terror.

Regardless of wether he was a symbolic figure or not, or wether some people think that his death will or will not have a significant impact on Al Quaeda's operation, I am going to mark this day on my calendar & celebrate it every year, to remember all the brave soldiers killed fighting the war on terror.

No amount of congratulations is enough for the soldiers & intelligence personnel involved in the operation.

What Im wondering is, which US forces were involved in the operation ? CAG( Delta Force ), Navy Seals, SF, CIA etc. ? Or was it primarily an intelligence operation conducted by USA & the ground operation ( assault ) conducted by Pakistani forces ?

STURM

I am going to raise a toast tonight to honour all the US, UK & NATO servicemen killed in the war on terror.
Yes a lot have paid the ultimate price serving their countries.

And let's spare a thought also for the numerous civillians [almost all of whom remain namelees outside of their communities] who have unintentionally been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan and elsewhere, as part of operations conducted in the 'War On Terror''.

A

Aussie Digger

Regardless of wether he was a symbolic figure or not, or wether some people think that his death will or will not have a significant impact on Al Quaeda's operation, I am going to mark this day on my calendar & celebrate it every year, to remember all the brave soldiers killed fighting the war on terror.

No amount of congratulations is enough for the soldiers & intelligence personnel involved in the operation.

What Im wondering is, which US forces were involved in the operation ? CAG( Delta Force ), Navy Seals, SF, CIA etc. ? Or was it primarily an intelligence operation conducted by USA & the ground operation ( firefight ) conducted by Pakistani forces ?
US Navy SEAL DevGru undertook the mission from all reports. Whatever assistance they may have had remains to be confirmed, if it ever will.

Operations remain on-going and don't end just because Bin Laden has been taken out. Al Zawahiri and others still remain at large...