Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Geo-strategic Issues

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

NZDF General discussion thread

This is a discussion on NZDF General discussion thread within the Geo-strategic Issues forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by t68 Thank you Mr C Its a pity that you didn't look into buy the ex RAAF ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 1 Week Ago   #4261
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by t68 View Post
Thank you Mr C

Its a pity that you didn't look into buy the ex RAAF C130H fleet in 2013 putting three airframes operational and the last two as spares hulk's. Were these aircraft in better serviceable condition compared to the Kiwi birds as Indonesia bought and payed for the five remaining H's refurbished, not sure to what level tho
Actually that reminds me, Google the article on dec 18th crash of one of those Indonesian Airforce C130 Hercules that crashed, only months after delivery, killing several on-board. And an even worse one the year prior with another.

One of those gifted in fact by Austrailia, strange that as the article says it only had 9,000 flight hrs of service,I wonder what our herc's have on the clock, how often they are serviced? Personally, I'd rather we buy new.
kiwipatriot69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4262
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipatriot69 View Post
Actually that reminds me, Google the article on dec 18th crash of one of those Indonesian Airforce C130 Hercules that crashed, only months after delivery, killing several on-board. And an even worse one the year prior with another.

One of those gifted in fact by Austrailia, strange that as the article says it only had 9,000 flight hrs of service,I wonder what our herc's have on the clock, how often they are serviced? Personally, I'd rather we buy new.
The 2015 crash (apparent engine failure) was an ex-US C-130B.

The 2016 crash did involve an ex-Australian C-130H, but from what's currently publicly available doesn't seem to indicate mechanical failure was involved.
CJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4263
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
I'd rather we buy new.
Agree RNZAF would be in a different place if they had taken the options Australia put in place when we ordered C130J

I did come across a Flight Global article about those options its was valid up until 2002. The article also mentioned that the RAAF H's " time expired in 2008" so I imagine those birds that went to Indonesia went thru a similar deep maintenance level program like the Kiwi birds.

All water under the bridge now but what could have been.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...natives-56337/
t68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4264
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by t68 View Post
Agree RNZAF would be in a different place if they had taken the options Australia put in place when we ordered C130J

I did come across a Flight Global article about those options its was valid up until 2002. The article also mentioned that the RAAF H's " time expired in 2008" so I imagine those birds that went to Indonesia went thru a similar deep maintenance level program like the Kiwi birds.

All water under the bridge now but what could have been.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...natives-56337/
Are the C130J in service in RAAF the standard, or stretched 30 version?

Last edited by kiwipatriot69; 1 Week Ago at 02:36 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 1 Week Ago   #4265
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Are the C130J in service in RAAF the standard, or stretched 30 version?
C130J-30's
t68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4266
Defense Enthusiast
Major
No Avatar
Threads:
Just a heads-up - the Briefing to the Incoming Minister of Defence (along with all other BIMs) has just been released. To the non-locals, a BiM is produced by every department when it gets a new Minister, and generally gives a good overview of current and predicted future activities. Fairly large chunks of them are often blanked out, but they are usually informative if you can read between the lines.

https://www.beehive.govt.nz/feature/...fairs-security

Should be at this link. Happy reading!
40 deg south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4267
Potstirrer
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 deg south View Post
Just a heads-up - the Briefing to the Incoming Minister of Defence (along with all other BIMs) has just been released. To the non-locals, a BiM is produced by every department when it gets a new Minister, and generally gives a good overview of current and predicted future activities. Fairly large chunks of them are often blanked out, but they are usually informative if you can read between the lines.

https://www.beehive.govt.nz/feature/...fairs-security

Should be at this link. Happy reading!
These might just be for domestic consumption. When I visited the linked page, it shows a list of linked PDF's but when I click to open any of them, it just loads a blank page.
Old 1 Week Ago   #4268
Defense Enthusiast
Major
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todjaeger View Post
These might just be for domestic consumption. When I visited the linked page, it shows a list of linked PDF's but when I click to open any of them, it just loads a blank page.
Hmmm. Works for me.

https://www.beehive.govt.nz/sites/de...12/Defence.pdf

Try this - a direct link to the Defence BiM.

All I have seen so far:
- info on Singapore F15 basing proposal largely blanked out
- cost pressures (blanked out) around ANZAC mid-life upgrade
- procurement focus is on surveillance (P-3C replacement) rather than on airlift, while the Capability Plan had the opposite order. But no details.
- Lots of material recycled from previous BiM, unsurprisingly.
40 deg south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4269
Potstirrer
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 deg south View Post
Hmmm. Works for me.

https://www.beehive.govt.nz/sites/de...12/Defence.pdf

Try this - a direct link to the Defence BiM.

All I have seen so far:
- info on Singapore F15 basing proposal largely blanked out
- cost pressures (blanked out) around ANZAC mid-life upgrade
- procurement focus is on surveillance (P-3C replacement) rather than on airlift, while the Capability Plan had the opposite order. But no details.
- Lots of material recycled from previous BiM, unsurprisingly.
Yup. I keep getting the same thing. A blank black page with a small grey oval right in the middle.

EDIT: It turned out to be a browser issue, I was able to download the PDF onto the same device using a different program. I have added it to the stack of things I need to read.

Last edited by Todjaeger; 1 Week Ago at 05:06 AM. Reason: Additional comment
Todjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4270
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Worked fine for me here in Canada.

Short on details but there are multiple references to FASC. Early 2018 could be a good time for acquisition announcements. Good to see reference to the LOSC as well. Nothing about the B200 replacement.

Maybe some changes are being planned to the Defence Capability Plan that will enable a broader ability to provide maritime patrol and SAR. Time will tell but with the change in government now well underway hopefully there will be some long planned equipment finally ordered.

One nice thing to read in the BiM was his itinerary to arrive in Halifax for the security conference. Hope he enjoyed his visit here.
Novascotiaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4271
Super Moderator
Captain
No Avatar
Threads:
Interesting to note that lack of any mention in relation to the Littoral Warfare Support Vessel in the briefing. The last I had heard was in a header on the ADF magazine stating that interested parties that the vessel had been deferred and may have to be downgraded (I'll try to post a link later but a subscription was required)
Lucasnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4272
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
The LOSC is mentioned on page 20 halway down.
Novascotiaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4273
Super Moderator
Captain
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novascotiaboy View Post
The LOSC is mentioned on page 20 halfway down.
Thanks for that. They're dragging that project out big time. Wonder that project should have progressed long ago to construction stage. MOD and the RNZN need a wrap around the knuckles for not getting the requirements right in the first place.
Lucasnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #4274
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucasnz View Post
Thanks for that. They're dragging that project out big time. Wonder that project should have progressed long ago to construction stage. MOD and the RNZN need a wrap around the knuckles for not getting the requirements right in the first place.
Could say the same thing about the new tanker HMNZS Aotearoa, now that Endevour has been decommissioned, two whole years now without that capability! I wonder, how crew keep that skill set, would they train then with other navies on thiers, Australia perhaps?
Old 6 Days Ago   #4275
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucasnz View Post
Is it the MOD and NZDF causing the problems or is the pollies moving the goalposts at each gate?

Last edited by ngatimozart; 6 Days Ago at 08:40 PM. Reason: Punctuation
ngatimozart is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: