North Korean Military.

F-15 Eagle

I don't know if there is already a thread about North Korea so if there is I'm sorry.

But I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about North Korea's military? I can't find any reliable sources on the internet, some of them have not been updated since 2002.

I was hoping if someone knows the current size and the equipment used by the North Korean Army, Navy and Air Force?

Thanks.

hallo84

Atilla [TR];137280 said:
Their army is shrouded in mystery but I say it is safe to bet that a lot of the inventory they have is from China.
Don't you mean a lot of the inventory they have is from Russia...?
China and NK isn't on the best of terms.
When PVA pulled out of NK some equipement was left behind but that's 50 year old antiques.

Yasin20

When PVA pulled out of NK some equipement was left behind but that's 50 year old antiques.
yeah but the 50year old atique can still kill you

Atilla [TR]

Colt 1911 has been around for 100 years and Marines are begging the U.S government to bring them back.

F-15 Eagle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
North Korea test-fired short-range missiles on Friday in what analysts said was a show of anger at the United States and the new conservative government in the South.

Here is a look at the North's missile programme

THE ARSENAL

North Korea has more than 800 ballistic missiles. It has more than 1,000 missiles of various ranges in total and has sold missiles and technology overseas, with Iran being one of the large purchasers.

It has more than 600 Scud missiles of various types and 200 Rodong missiles.

SCUD TYPE

The Scud-type missiles include the Hwasong-5, with a range of about 300 km (190 miles) and the Hwasong-6, with a range of about 500 km.

RODONG TYPE

The Rodong has an estimated range of 1,000 to 1,400 km. This missile can hit all of South Korea and most of Japan.

TAEPODONG TYPE

The Taepodong-1 is a multi-stage missile with an estimated range of about 2,000 km to 2,500 km. It uses liquid fuel. This missile was shot over Japan in 1998.

The Taepodong-2 was test-launched in July 2006 and flew for about 40 seconds before it destructed, U.S. officials said. South Korea said the launch was a failure, which would indicate troubles with the technology.

The Taepodong-2 is a multi-stage missile under development with a possible range of 3,500 km to 4,300 km. The range could extend from 5,000 km to 7,000 km, or even longer depending on North Korea's engine technologies and payload, experts have said.

The Taepodong-X is a solid fuel missile under development with an estimated range of 2,500 km to 4,000 km and could reach U.S. bases in Japan and Guam.

North Korea does not have an operational missile that can hit the continental United States, many experts have said.

ACCURACY AND PAYLOAD

Most analysts agree North Korea is some time away from building a nuclear warhead small enough to fit on a missile. The accuracy of the mid- to long-range missiles was also suspect.

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSSEO2997

Last edited:

F-15 Eagle

Most sources although old and may not have been updated since 2002-2005 agree the NKAF has the following.

They have mostly obsolete aircraft from the 50s and 60s except for a few Mig-29s and Su-25s as the only aircraft that can be considered modern.

Bombers: 80 Il-28/H-5

Fighters: 107 Mig-17/J-5
100 Mig-19/J-6
160-190 Mig-21 and some J-7.
56-60 Mig-23
40 Mig-29
40 Q-5
36 SU-25
18 SU-7
Helicopters: 140 Mi-2
48 Mi-4
15 Mi-8/17
87 MD-500
10 Mi-14

Transports: 300 An-2, according to Air Forces Monthly they have been grounded becasue of high fuel costs.
3 Il-76
10-12 other transports of various types.

I will do some research to get some info on the North Korean Army and Navy arsenals as soon as possible.

contedicavour

Most sources although old and may not have been updated since 2002-2005 agree the NKAF has the following.

They have mostly obsolete aircraft from the 50s and 60s except for a few Mig-29s and Su-25s as the only aircraft that can be considered modern.

Bombers: 80 Il-28/H-5

Fighters: 107 Mig-17/J-5
100 Mig-19/J-6
160-190 Mig-21 and some J-7.
56-60 Mig-23
40 Mig-29
40 Q-5
36 SU-25
18 SU-7
Helicopters: 140 Mi-2
48 Mi-4
15 Mi-8/17
87 MD-500
10 Mi-14

Transports: 300 An-2, according to Air Forces Monthly they have been grounded becasue of high fuel costs.
3 Il-76
10-12 other transports of various types.

I will do some research to get some info on the North Korean Army and Navy arsenals as soon as possible.
Without SU30s and updates such as SMT to the MIG29s their air force is entirely obsolete. Would you have data on the SAMs, especially the S300s they probably operate ?

cheers

F-15 Eagle

Last edited:

X6958

There standard fifle is the AK-47, they have RPG-7, pretty backwards, but on the flip side they have thousands of WW2 era orr so Artillery, that could take a bite out of Seoul. THey also have an indigenously developed MBT. They still use the T34 apparantey, but there tanks won't do much because I've heard that they barely have enough diesel to run them, so only the best tanks will ever get a chance.

F-15 Eagle

There standard fifle is the AK-47, they have RPG-7, pretty backwards, but on the flip side they have thousands of WW2 era orr so Artillery, that could take a bite out of Seoul. THey also have an indigenously developed MBT. They still use the T34 apparantey, but there tanks won't do much because I've heard that they barely have enough diesel to run them, so only the best tanks will ever get a chance.
They also have BMP, T-54 and T-62 tanks. They also have a few T-72s which they build on their own. They also have some 11,000 artillery peaces. Although their military is old they can still put up a fighter in war.

T-Rex

I do not believe the North Korean leader has the nerve to start another war, he has been sabre rattling just to get some consessions from the US

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
They also have BMP, T-54 and T-62 tanks. They also have a few T-72s which they build on their own. They also have some 11,000 artillery peaces. Although their military is old they can still put up a fighter in war.
Incorrect - North Korea does not manufacture T-72 MBTs, they have their own design based on the T-62 chassis. North Korea purchased a T-90 MBT from Russia but hasn`t bothered to purchase additional ones, most likely because they cannot afford them. There is also speculation that they may of purchased a batch of 100 T-72`s back around the mid eighties from Russia but there is not concrete evidence of this ever happening.

Last edited:

X6958

I doubt they bought those T-72s, NK's real strength lies in mass artillery and infantry for Unconventional Warfare

F-15 Eagle

Do you guys thank the North Korean Mig-17 and Mig-19 fighters as well as their Il-28 bombers can still be effective in war?

I think North Korea is the last user of the Mig-17 and Mi-19 fighters and the last operator of the Il-28 bomber. I also think they still use around 30 Mig-15s for training.

PullerRommel

I think if North Korea were to enter a war against South Korea they would rely purely on there artillery and infantry as previously stated. What type of artillery pieces (if available) do they have? Is it all old artillery or do they have new systems?

F-15 Eagle

I think if North Korea were to enter a war against South Korea they would rely purely on there artillery and infantry as previously stated. What type of artillery pieces (if available) do they have? Is it all old artillery or do they have new systems?
Here is a link with their tanks, APCs and artillery that could help: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/dprk/kpa-equipment.htm

I do think they would still use their fighter jets in a war against South Korea and the American Military. Can't say I know how many of the jets will get off the ground but I expect they will send as many as possible. I also wounder when thy will get their fleet of some 300 An-2s back in the air which have recently been grounded because of high fuel costs.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I doubt they bought those T-72s, NK's real strength lies in mass artillery and infantry for Unconventional Warfare
North Korea doe have a modernization package for the T-62 called Chonmaho, reactive armor package and FCS comes from Iran. They do have in access of over 3500 armor vehicles even though they are outdated by modern day armored vehicle platforms. I would also state that North Korea`s armored vehicles are alot lighter versus U.S and ROK vehicles giving them more ease in operation in that type of terrian, ease of movement is a important factor in battle.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Do you guys thank the North Korean Mig-17 and Mig-19 fighters as well as their Il-28 bombers can still be effective in war?

I think North Korea is the last user of the Mig-17 and Mi-19 fighters and the last operator of the Il-28 bomber. I also think they still use around 30 Mig-15s for training.
Anything that they throw in the air would be wiped out by the ROK and U.S in a matter of hours. Artillery including rockets will be the biggest pucker factor for the U.S and ROK forces.