North Korean leader Kim Jong Il's son promoted to general

powerfulguy

Banned Member
North Korean leader's son rises as likely successor - Yahoo! News

SEOUL – North Korea's ailing leader Kim Jong-il has named his youngest son as a military general, state media said early on Tuesday, marking the first stage of a dynastic succession.
It was the first time the 20-something Kim Jong-un had been mentioned by name in the North's media, and his appointment came just hours before the start of a rare ruling party meeting to elect its supreme leadership.
I'm guessing after Kim dies, his son will either remain a puppet of the real generals and politburo or there'll be a coup within a year or two.

Kilo 2-3

According to Dr. Haggard, a professor at UCSD, I heard speak recently, North Korea is effectively a military dictatorship already. Most of the upper-level leadership is from the intelligence, defense, or military-industrial complex.

The promotion of Kim Jong-un to "general" gives him at least a degree of titular parity among this ruling elite, although it's unlikely a 20-year old man is likely to have much sway over his "advisers" during his first decade or so in power.

Go229

Am i... Am i feeling... envy??
I don't know why but i wish i was impromptu leader of DPRK. They're so brainwashed you can do anything. ANYTHING! The only limit is your imagination and morals.

Except i'd pull a Stalinian purge on 'em generals and send them all to asbestos mines instead of innocent people :p Also, the national anthem would be changed to that Edvard Khil song "I am so glad i am coming home", and the national uniform of the army would be a stormtrooper costume.

I can smell the Win.

If someone could overthrow the government and establish a strict constitution like the original american one with all the freedoms including the right to bear arms enshrined and then distributed all those huge stockpiles of weapons to the people, YOU BETTER BET THERE WON'T BE ANY MORE DICTATORSHIP! Who wants to arrest people for nothing when their family will raid your headquarters with PPsH's, recoilless cannons, mortars and RPGs!

Kilo 2-3

Go 299, as the leader of North Korea, you be faced with a country with a limping economy, chronic food shortages, vast spending on a military that a determined Chinese, Japanese, or US effort could crack, etc. While you'd be "all powerful" in title, you're true power only extends as far as your country's very limited resources will stretch.

Hardly the kind of place I'd want to lead.

EnimaAtTheGates

He has been seen alongside his father at the 65th aniversairy of the party today. The rockets and other military equipment has writing on that translates as "Defeat the US military. US soldiers are the Korean People's Army's enemy."