Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Geo-strategic Issues

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Nagorniy Karabakh

This is a discussion on Nagorniy Karabakh within the Geo-strategic Issues forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; The casualties from the April war are much higher than 31. The US State Department's report said around 400 in ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old September 3rd, 2016   #16
Private
Threads:
The casualties from the April war are much higher than 31. The US State Department's report said around 400 in total.
Mig-29M2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2016
Mig-29M2
This message has been deleted by OPSSG. Reason: No one liners
Old September 16th, 2016   #17
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Armenia has just become the first export customer of the Iskander-E system. Official statements are lacking but the system turned out at parade practice in Armenia. This drastically increases Armenia's reach, and place pretty much all of the conflict one within it's reach.

А€мения полƒ‡ила опе€а‚ивно-‚ак‚и‡еские €аке‚н‹е комплекс‹ "˜сканде€-*" - bmpd

EDIT: Buk-M2 SAMs and Infauna EW systems also turned up in Armenia, thus revealing what they had spent their 200 mil credit line on.

http://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/83612/

Last edited by Feanor; September 18th, 2016 at 12:03 AM.
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016   #18
Private
Threads:
The Iskanders Armenia got are M, not export version E. Unfortunately some websites are automatically writing E, considering that Armenia is an export customer without verification.
The missiles have been transferred from Russian Army stocks without going through Rossoboronexport.
Also, they are NOT part of the $200M loan, and neither are the Buk-M2s.

Exclusive video: Armenia's Iskander-M ballistic missiles and more
Old September 20th, 2016   #19
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mig-29M2 View Post
The Iskanders Armenia got are M, not export version E. Unfortunately some websites are automatically writing E, considering that Armenia is an export customer without verification.
The missiles have been transferred from Russian Army stocks without going through Rossoboronexport.
Also, they are NOT part of the $200M loan, and neither are the Buk-M2s.

Exclusive video: Armenia's Iskander-M ballistic missiles and more
That would be illegal because they're ballistic missiles with ranges in excess of 300kms. It also raises questions about who paid for it. Sorry but we need a better source then that website for a claim of that nature.
Old September 20th, 2016   #20
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Illegal? Has the MTCR been made binding? It's always been voluntary.
swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016   #21
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerve View Post
Illegal? Has the MTCR been made binding? It's always been voluntary.
Sorry, maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't Russia have to formally withdraw from the treaty first? Also, even if it's legal at the state level, it's certainly not legal for an individual enterprise. I suppose it's possible that Russia would decide to disregard the MTCR rules for Armenia's sake and provide these systems directly, state to state, but why would they? What targets does Armenia need to strike that are more then 280kms away?

EDIT: I see where my mistake stems from. In most Russian publications the MTCR is treated as binding. It appears that it is binding for Russian private entities, seeking to export arms.
Old September 24th, 2016   #22
Private
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
Sorry, maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't Russia have to formally withdraw from the treaty first? Also, even if it's legal at the state level, it's certainly not legal for an individual enterprise. I suppose it's possible that Russia would decide to disregard the MTCR rules for Armenia's sake and provide these systems directly, state to state, but why would they? What targets does Armenia need to strike that are more then 280kms away?

EDIT: I see where my mistake stems from. In most Russian publications the MTCR is treated as binding. It appears that it is binding for Russian private entities, seeking to export arms.
Most targets are within 300Kms, but I still believe it's M. Armenia gets the majority of it's arms directly from Russian Min. of Defense, and not as an export customer.
Old September 24th, 2016   #23
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mig-29M2 View Post
Most targets are within 300Kms, but I still believe it's M. Armenia gets the majority of it's arms directly from Russian Min. of Defense, and not as an export customer.
Based on what exactly though?
Old November 12th, 2016   #24
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Azeri troops are moving towards the front line, with air cover. They're citing exercises as the reason.

Азербайджанские MRAP Marauder выдвигаются в прифронтовую полосу с Нагорным Карабахом: dambiev
Old July 7th, 2017   #25
Banned Member
Sergeant
Threads:
Update

Things get hot again in Karabakh: Azerbaijan strikes Armenian army positions - VIDEO
http://www.ng.ru/news/586931.html?print=Y
https://news.am/eng/news/399237.html https://ria.ru/world/20170707/1498046212.html
’ойна в šа€аба…е: Азе€байджан ƒда€ил по А€мении или по *оссии - Ÿоли‚ика - œš
I've visited Armenia, Azerbaijan & Georgia back in 1986. IMO, the Azeris will never outsmart Armenians on the battlefield, no matter how well equipped. They can be roughly compared with Israel & its Arab neighbors. Plus Armenia is supported by Russia & can be outflanked on the Caspian Sea, where Iran recently conducted a naval exercise.
Quote:
..due to the military standoff with Armenia over the region of Nagorno Karabagh, the Azerbaijan Republic has entered into an axis of Azerbaijan-Turkey-Israel. Iran on the other hand is afraid of the Western presence and considers this as a part of preparations for possible military intervention in all or parts of Iran by US.. In order to counter the Azeri moves, Iran is supporting Armenia. “Azerbaijan believes the clear economic and political support of Iran from the Republic of Armenia is a kind of declaration of war against Baku
Tsavo Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2017   #26
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Post moved to appropriate thread.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: