mollecodling cadets

C

corp

Recently while assisting in the training of some cadets in field craft i was having a chat with one of the cadet officers who was telling me about the level of mollecodling among the australian army cadets. This has even gotten to the point were the army cadets have begun not to even allow them to wear brazzards because they are considered "safety hazards",:lol2. cadets are not even allowed to wear chest webbing or conduct pack marches or navex's in exess of 5km's. As former army cadets make up 40% of the armys perssonel pool i think that maybe the army cadets should treat these kids less like boy scouts on a summer camp and maybe think about better ways to prepare their charges for a carrer in the ARA, RAN or RAAF. i would be interested to hear other peoples opinion on the subject.

Big-E

Banned Member
Safety First... I resent that boyscout remark, my path to Eagle was just as demanding as my days as a Cadet, my scoutmaster was a Gunny out of Paris Island.:shudder

scraw

Are you talking about the schoolkids?

If so I don't really see the point, more than anything it seems to just be a way of getting people thinking about the option of a military career, not provide serious training.

buschy

Jesus, its changed since i was a toy soldier. I also heard the equipment crisis is even worse in the cadets than it is in the regular army, with quite a considerable amount of cadets being issued vietnam era webbing and other outdated equipment as most foster units choose to only give the stuff that there just gonna chuck away anyway.

wilco_89

hey, im in a cadet unit and it is true that there has been many changes as of late to the policy and what cadets are and arnt allowed to do in the field. But many of the issues raised can be change by the CO of a unit, in my unit we wear chest webbing, and brasards. With my unit there isnt as much of an issue with equipment as our parent unit supplies well, but this is different for other units.

buschy

wilco_89 said:
in my unit we wear chest webbing, and brasards. With my unit there isnt as much of an issue with equipment as our parent unit supplies well, but this is different for other units.
apparently this whole no chest webbing thing is supposed to be throught the entire south QLD brigade but im not sure about the other 7 brigades.