Libyan Arms Contracts Get Unfrozen

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member

hellfire88

Libya already contacted Russia with help in maintaining the legacy vehicles and aircraft they operate, but put off the new deals due to obvious priority in rebuilding the country.

alexkvaskov

I wonder if any of that new gear will end up in Syria or Mali. Also it's curious that they're procuring dedicated ATGM carriers when they could have just gone for man-portable systems.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder if any of that new gear will end up in Syria or Mali. Also it's curious that they're procuring dedicated ATGM carriers when they could have just gone for man-portable systems.
It's a pretty strange choice. SP ATGM vehicles aren't that common in general. And it doesn't seem like a first priority item. On the other hand I don't know if it's the only such contract. This might be the tip of the iceberg.

EHamam

Well, this contract was made before the revolution. Maybe such heavy weaponry was important for them back then, ATGM carriers to face some kind of ground invasion from some of the neighboring countries? Or just for good ol` dissuasion? Considering Libya has several tribes, and some of them are reasonably well armed, some of them - if I`m not mistaken, and I don`t really have any credible source here - with old but heavy vehicles, then maybe it`s just the central government trying to build up their heavy defenses again, just to consolidate power and stop any other attempt to a coup..

Imran520

A Libyan government representative has asked Russian authorities to resume frozen arms contracts. he did not name approached him personally during the opening ceremony of a Russian grenade-launcher assembly facility in Jordan earlier that day.

Jonton

This can't possibly be a good idea. The situation in Mali and the attack on the US ambassador should be enough reason to keep arms sales frozen.