Joining the Australian Defence Force

emmahudson

Hi guys.
My name is Emma and I am 17, and I am going for my YOU (your opportunities unlimited) session regarding entry into the ADF next week. My family has a pretty solid military history, with almost every male on my father's side having served. I've always wanted to join the army, and I've decided to try and get an ADF undergraduate sponshorship to study nursing and then continue this with the army afterwards.

I have no real qualms about the aptitude testing or the psychological testing or even the medical testing, I am pretty fit and I can express myself well.

The only problem I do have is a horrible scar on my arm. It was a really, really stupid thing that I regret very much that happened during a horrible period of my life. I was hospitalized and received treatment, but I was never actually diagnosed with anything. After I was discharged from hospital I had to attend compulsory sessions for a while, but soon enough they figured out I was a really normal person and they let me stop going.

Would this affect my entry into the ADF? It really is my life dream to join, and if something so stupid as the scar on my arm stopped me from joining I would be crushed. I am not at all the same person I was then when I made the scars, and I am also undergoing some plastic surgery procedures to have the scar removed.

Birdman

Would this affect my entry into the ADF? It really is my life dream to join
I think if the scar had some.... emotional history (I am assuming it did), behind it the Shrinks may go in depth into it, and quite probably question you quite about it, but that's their jobs. Stay confident and don't question yourself, if you start doubting yourself that's when they'll really pounce and say 'maybe she cant hack it' OR 'maybe she hasn't gotten over that phase yet'.
Another important thing may be, don't hide anything about this scar, talking freely, while perhaps hard, it shows that you've moved on and accepted it and also says that your an open person which is a good army quality. (Since the army is so community orientated)

Medical wise the doctor didn't look twice at my scars. though I've just got a lot of little ones.
A lot of people (me for one) have those hiccups getting through DFR.
It is their job to get people in, not keep them out.

I hope i've helped.... or at least not done anything bad.

Stay confident, always tell the truth and be open and hopefully it wont be a big problem, Prove to them that its all in the past and the army's your future.
Good luck Emma.... for both of us :)

SASWanabe

main thing is to be confident and have your story worked out before you get there, and that you stick too it.

i head off to my assessment day next month and i have a mate who went late last year. the psyc guys can be very harsh at times, while my mate was there they made a grown man cry:teary.

just be prepared that they will probably question you very deeply about the background of that scar and try not to lose face.

just be confident, your YOU session is more focused on what jobs you qualify for and what jobs you want, assessment day is where they do the rest

Kirkzzy

If you are dieing to do it, DO IT! If this has been one of your dreams like any other person aiming for a job always try, test it out (gap year). Never doubt yourself when applying for a job like any other just be calm and confident and remember that this is all your decision and not to worry about any previous history, as to get this job you are going to have to go through it all.

Think of it as being in a dark cave and all you have to do is walk out into the light, not that hard when you put your mind to it. If the scar is from a phase that you have already gone through then again don't worry about it, that part of your life is over.

emmahudson

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
hi guys!

It's me again. I thought I would update you guys on how my application is going.
So I passed the aptitude test, sent in all the paperwork and today I got a phone call from the DFR nurse about my medical history questionairre. On the questionairre I had ticked yes to the self harm question so she asked me about it. I explained it to her and she really seemed to understand and said she would try and write it up as positively as possible.

She said I should know by the end of next week whether I passed or not. Man I really hope the doctor who signs off on it is a nice guy! She said if I don't pass I should definitely go for an appeal because it would likely get me through. Do you guys know much on appeals? I want to prepare.....just in case.

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I predate the appeals process. Back in the day the ADF had no problems doing all the apptitude, psych and medical testing in a single day. If you were going for enlisted entry that was all you needed.

But anyway as I understand it if you have a medical appeal you need another doctor to support the appeal. Ideally if you had a Shrink as part of your initial treatment they would be the best person to author an appeal. Especially as they would be familiar with your case and more so than the assessing doctor that would have denied your application (if that happens). I'm sure your helpful DFR nurse could provide you with further guidance as to the process if needed.

Equinox

It's me again. I thought I would update you guys on how my application is going.
So I passed the aptitude test, sent in all the paperwork and today I got a phone call from the DFR nurse about my medical history questionairre. On the questionairre I had ticked yes to the self harm question so she asked me about it. I explained it to her and she really seemed to understand and said she would try and write it up as positively as possible.

She said I should know by the end of next week whether I passed or not. Man I really hope the doctor who signs off on it is a nice guy! She said if I don't pass I should definitely go for an appeal because it would likely get me through. Do you guys know much on appeals? I want to prepare.....just in case.
From what you've said, at the very least they will book you in the for the Assessment Day. It's there that they'll grill you over it, but as others have mentioned, be confident and honest. Those are the big things when it comes down to it, and you can get away with being a little, ah, 'un-confident' as long as you are honest.

Sometimes recruitment can be really nit-picky over things, but completely disregard others. You should be fine, I would think they'd be willing to at least have a more in-detail analysis of yourself and what happened before passing judgment.

Good luck.