Israel sets date to attack Iran.....

siresoul

Is this just a threat or...........???? and what do you think are its Concequencies...

Farkash sets deadline for strike on Iran
By SHEERA CLAIRE FRENKEL

After March Israel must be prepared to use means other than diplomacy to halt Iran's nuclear weapons program, warned the head of the military intelligence Wednesday.

Military Intelligence Chief Aharon Zeevi Farkash would not detail other options, but sources on the Knesset's Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee, which Farkash was addressing, said it was clear that Israel would have to consider taking military action against Iran.

"In my years here, seeing the data I have seen, I feel it is clear that Iran has passed the point of no return," said committee chairman Yuval Steinitz (Likud). "It is accurate to say that unless Iran encounters a major interference, it will have a functioning nuclear arsenal within one or two years."

Iran has produced 45 tons of UF- 6 gas that is used in the centrifuge process for producing enriched uranium for nuclear weapons, said Steinitz.

"If by the end of March 2006 the international community will have failed to halt Iran's nuclear weapons program, diplomatic efforts will be pointless," said Farkash. "Iran has the upper hand in negotiations with the international community.

In order to deflect international attention from its weapons program, Iran has been encouraging Hizbullah to step up attacks on Israel, said Farkash, noting that the recent Hizbullah attacks along Israel's northern border were instigated by Syria and Iran.

"The latest flare up in the north was a strategic plan by Hizbullah," Farkash said. "They hoped we would retaliate by firing rockets and hitting civilians. We have seen evidence of them preparing for this type of attack along the border." Farkash added that the IDF had responded 'appropriately' and not given Hizbullah a pretext to escalate the violence.

Farkash explained that Syria and Iran were attempting to heat up the situation along the border to deflect international attention on their own policies. Syria is facing a United Nations probe into the assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri in December.

More Hizbullah attacks can be expected until the UN report on Hariri's assassination is released on December 15th, said Farkash. He suggested that Hizbullah might launch a drone packed with explosives at Israel, or try to attack Israelis abroad.

In addition, Farkash told the committee that the border between Syria and
had become porous, with Syria enabling terrorists to pass freely.

"Syria hopes to see a American failure in Iraq," said Farkash. "The Americans would not have the military or political capacity for another military operation in the region." The intelligence chief did not elaborate but a spokesman for the committee said that he was apparently alluding to Iran and Syria.

Meanwhile, the IDF expects Hamas to preserve the lull in violence until the January 25th elections, although the Hamas military wing has been pressuring for renewed attacks, said Farkash. Hamas hopes to win 30 percent of the vote in the upcoming elections. Islamic Jihad will not run in the elections, and will be expected to mount terror attacks added Farkash.

Link : http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1132475657419&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull

Dr Phobus

Hello,

I have a few points to make:

1- remeber what happend to the Iraq nucelar reactor, it was attacked by the IAF flying F-16's (one of the first operational missions ever for the F-16)

2-it is obvious that ecomonic and political pressure is not able to effect a nations course in terms of nuclear weapons, please consider; N. Korea, Pakistan and India.

3- The US but especially the EU are concerned about Iranian nuclear weapon development. With the Iraq war and is somewhat messy aftermath, I fiind it unlikely the US/EU are interested in military intervention.

4- point 3, leads to point 4, the IAF with primarily US backing (and the EU)can be an effective proxi in that they can attack Iran without true western involvment.

5- The question is how they going to get there, they certainly have the planes and weapons (F-15I's) but my point is they can not get there without flying over someone's airspace, unless the new iraqi government lets them

any thoughts ?:gun

lakhani

I feel its just the warning and more importantly, even just the reply to iranian president comments over Israel.
israel can use Iraqs airspace without permission but their is minor chance that iraqs government allow them to use the airspace.
It would be a big mistake to attack Iran at this stage when Iraq is not stable.It will bring the shias of each side closer and will create room for Irans involvement in Iraq without any fear, which will definately create hurdles for U.S forces in Iraq.

aaaditya

i feel that it is a bit of overreaction on israel's part,any country which wants to attack its enemy will not set up a timeframe thus warning its enemy,i doubt that israel will be able to launch airstrikes similiar to the one they launched on iraq since iran is farther away and they also have quite a capable air defence.the only other option available is a missile strike ,but an unprovoked missile strike will turn global opinion against israel and particularly that of the muslim community.

turin

Firstly, this is obviously the opinion of a single person and it remains to be seen wether the Israeli administration will heed that recommendation.

israel can use Iraqs airspace without permission but their is minor chance that iraqs government allow them to use the airspace.
Two words to that: No way! It would mean political suicide for the current iraqi government to allow any such thing. The whole country would turn upside down, I'm very sure of that.

1- remeber what happend to the Iraq nucelar reactor, it was attacked by the IAF flying F-16's (one of the first operational missions ever for the F-16)

2-it is obvious that ecomonic and political pressure is not able to effect a nations course in terms of nuclear weapons, please consider; N. Korea, Pakistan and India.

3- The US but especially the EU are concerned about Iranian nuclear weapon development. With the Iraq war and is somewhat messy aftermath, I fiind it unlikely the US/EU are interested in military intervention.

4- point 3, leads to point 4, the IAF with primarily US backing (and the EU)can be an effective proxi in that they can attack Iran without true western involvment.

5- The question is how they going to get there, they certainly have the planes and weapons (F-15I's) but my point is they can not get there without flying over someone's airspace, unless the new iraqi government lets them

any thoughts ?
Yes. As for No. 1:
The two programs (that of Iran and Iraq back in 1981) are not comparable. Back then it was a single reactor in a very early phase of construction and Iraq was only able to build it with heavy foreign assistance. Iran as an indigenous program at several locations and even if they should lose some of the installations, the know-how remains. Also Iran today and Iraq in 1981 are in no way comparable concerning their capabilities of retaliation and air defence.
Therefore it is highly unlikely in my opinion, that Israel will succeed with a limited airstrike against iranian targets. Actually the only thing it might achieve, considering the current political situation in Iran, is triggering a full scale war.

I agree on No. 2 and No. 3. Also keep in mind the situation in Afghanistan, which easily could become worse, should Iran decide to influence the situation there in a more active way.

As for No. 5, I am not sure wether these aircrafts will come back as well. Sure, the IAF is one of the finest air forces in the world. But the confrontation with Iran is a little bit different to skirmishes with syrian or egyptian forces.

siresoul

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
here's the update

Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, speaking at the editors' convention at Sokolov House in Tel Aviv, said Thursday that Israel, as well as other nations, cannot accept a scenario in which Iran acquires nuclear capabilities and that Israel was making preparations for the possibility Iran will acquire nuclear weapons.

He added, however, that Israel would not lead the fight against the Islamic state's nuclear ambitions.

"The danger does not only affect Israel, but also Middle Eastern countries and many other countries around the world. Therefore the recent efforts led by the US must include free countries that understand this grave danger," the prime minister said.

"We're making all preparations for such a situation," added Sharon, "Israel is not in the vanguard of this."

The prime minister said the West has the military capabilities to handle Iran, but "before anyone decides on a military step, every effort would be made to pressure Iran to halt this activity. It seems to me such efforts can be fruitful," he said.

Also Thursday, and only one day after Military Intelligence Chief Aharon Ze'evi Farkash said that after March Israel must be prepared to use means other than diplomacy to halt Iran's nuclear weapons program, Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz echoedSharon's call that the international community should use diplomacy to block Iran from developing nuclear weapons.

Mofaz denied that Israel, which bombed an Iraqi nuclear reactor more than two decades ago, was considering attacking Iran.

"The position of the state of Israel is that the diplomatic track is the correct way to deal with the Iranian nuclear policies," Mofaz told Army Radio.

Israel will make every effort to get the UN Security Council to pass resolutions that would sanction Iran, in order to pressure it to abandon the nuclear program, Mofaz said.

Farkash would not detail other options, but sources on the Knesset's Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee, which Farkash was addressing Wednesday said it was clear that Israel would have to consider taking military action against Iran.

"In my years here, seeing the data I have seen, I feel it is clear that Iran has passed the point of no return," said committee chairman Yuval Steinitz (Likud). "It is accurate to say that unless Iran encounters a major interference, it will have a functioning nuclear "I'm a n00b"nal within one or two years."

Iran has produced 45 tons of UF- 6 gas that is used in the centrifuge process for producing enriched uranium for nuclear weapons, said Steinitz.
"If by the end of March 2006 the international community will have failed to halt Iran's nuclear weapons program, diplomatic efforts will be pointless," said Farkash. "Iran has the upper hand in negotiations with the international community.

In order to deflect international attention from its weapons program, Iran has been encouraging Hizbullah to step up attacks on Israel, said Farkash, noting that the recent Hizbullah attacks along Israel's northern border were instigated by Syria and Iran. "
The latest flare up in the north was a strategic plan by Hizbullah," Farkash said. "They hoped we would retaliate by firing rockets and hitting civilians. We have seen evidence of them preparing for this type of attack along the border." Farkash added that the IDF had responded 'appropriately' and not given Hizbullah a pretext to escalate the violence.
Farkash explained that Syria and Iran were attempting to heat up the situation along the border to deflect international attention on their own policies. Syria is facing a United Nations probe into the assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri in December.

More Hizbullah attacks can be expected until the UN report on Hariri's assassination is released on December 15th, said Farkash. He suggested that Hizbullah might launch a drone packed with explosives at Israel, or try to attack Israelis abroad.

In addition, Farkash told the committee that the border between Syria and Iraq had become porous, with Syria enabling terrorists to pass freely.

"Syria hopes to see a American failure in Iraq," said Farkash. "The Americans would not have the military or political capacity for another military operation in the region." The intelligence chief did not elaborate but a spokesman for the committee said that he was apparently alluding to Iran and Syria.

Meanwhile, the IDF expects Hamas to preserve the lull in violence until the January 25th elections, although the Hamas military wing has been pressuring for renewed attacks, said Farkash. Hamas hopes to win 30 percent of the vote in the upcoming elections. Islamic Jihad will not run in the elections, and will be expected to mount terror attacks added Farkash.

link : http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid...rticle/ShowFull

Dr Phobus

I peronally doubt IAF will be going anything, range and the ability to actually destory the targets without spilling radioactive crap all over the place is very limited. Moreover, it will destablize the entire regon. What troulbed times we live in.

However, i doubt much will stop the Iranian's developing nuclear warheads and have a ready arensel of SRBM/IRSM's , with the later being able to hit all of the european main-land the south west of the UK also. One of the consquences will be EU ABM co-operative, also, a more US like stance against rouge states. "WE" shall see

:xmas :xmas

Patzek

Defcon 6 said:
I haven't seen anything about this on any major news outlets. I think this is just a tabloid story.

Actually yes, he did said it, it was in our news all day.
I can give you a video but its in hebrew...

heso10

i think israel has the ability to destroy the reactor of iran but what stops her is polotical reasons and also iran is much stronger than iraq which makes it more difficult for israel plus iran have many types of accurate ballastic missles that can hit israeli ground and they have also 59 f-14 tomacat , 35 mig-29 and 22 mirage f1/e ,plus their collection of air defence weapons like improved hawk , sa-2 ,sa-5 ,sa-6 and other light systems but if israel wants to destroy the reactor she will