If the war outbreaks in Korea Peninsula?

If North Korea start a war again, Do you allow your contry's army to join this war?

• I allow it.

Votes: 25 65.8%
  • I don't allow it.

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • etc.

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

plumcandy

Banned Member
Korean war started from North Korea's invasion into South Korea.
Korean war was gradually changed to the conflict between liberalism and communism.

For the Peace of the World and For the Freedom of Korean Peninsula.\
Many young people joined 6.25 war. (Korean War's another name) and their precious sacrifice made current Korea.

North Korea has threatened the world with testing nuke & developing missiles until now. and they constantly attack South Korea and menace the peace of Korea Peninsula.

"if North Korea start a war again, Do you allow your country's army to join this war for the freedom of Korea Peninsula?"

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
Hi Plumcandy,

Please feel free to head over to the Introductions section and introduce yourself.

My understanding is that the Korean war started because two political groups with differing political views depending on who the occupying power were clashed in a civil war due to the North Wanting to unify the country under its government.

While active fighting has (for the most part) not occurred for the since July 27th 1953 when the cease fire was signed, it should be noted that there is still an active state of war between the (south) Republic of Korea and (north) Democratic People’s Republic of Korea. I have to admit its a strange war though, with the RoK owning several inductrial facilities in the DPRoK.

If you look at the current forces available to both sides in the conflict, you will see that while the north may have a quantitive superiority, on a qualitive front they are several decades behind the south. This is exemplified by the difference between the airforces and navies of the two nations. For example the RoK has large numbers of Modern block F-16's and new F-15K's, whereas the latest fighter in the Norths inventory (and only in small numbers) are export version Mig-29's with degraded capabilities.

On the Naval front, the RoK navy is commissioning many naval vessels including some with Aegis, the North by comparison's fleet of major combatants date from the 1960's and 1970's, with the majority of the fleet made up of similarly aged missile and torpedo boats. The gulf war showed what happens when they come up against modern missile armed helicopters.

The technology disparity between the Armies is similar.

While the RoK would take a lot of damage from a North Korean attack, I don't think the result of a conflict would be in doubt, especially with the dismal state of the North Korean economy.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if such a war would be finished before anyone except possibly the United States could do much more then make preparations for sending troops.

plumcandy

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
thank you for reply

Hi Plumcandy,

Please feel free to head over to the Introductions section and introduce yourself.

My understanding is that the Korean war started because two political groups with differing political views depending on who the occupying power were clashed in a civil war due to the North Wanting to unify the country under its government.

While active fighting has (for the most part) not occurred for the since July 27th 1953 when the cease fire was signed, it should be noted that there is still an active state of war between the (south) Republic of Korea and (north) Democratic People’s Republic of Korea. I have to admit its a strange war though, with the RoK owning several inductrial facilities in the DPRoK.

If you look at the current forces available to both sides in the conflict, you will see that while the north may have a quantitive superiority, on a qualitive front they are several decades behind the south. This is exemplified by the difference between the airforces and navies of the two nations. For example the RoK has large numbers of Modern block F-16's and new F-15K's, whereas the latest fighter in the Norths inventory (and only in small numbers) are export version Mig-29's with degraded capabilities.

On the Naval front, the RoK navy is commissioning many naval vessels including some with Aegis, the North by comparison's fleet of major combatants date from the 1960's and 1970's, with the majority of the fleet made up of similarly aged missile and torpedo boats. The gulf war showed what happens when they come up against modern missile armed helicopters.

The technology disparity between the Armies is similar.

While the RoK would take a lot of damage from a North Korean attack, I don't think the result of a conflict would be in doubt, especially with the dismal state of the North Korean economy.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if such a war would be finished before anyone except possibly the United States could do much more then make preparations for sending troops.
i read your reply well and it was helpful for me to understand both of contries and it's army. personally i think south korea may need lots of support from other countries at that time. their capability isn't strong enough to cover all attacks (including missile,nuke) from north korea.

Seraph

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
the outcome of a war between the two Koreas would certainly end in a victory for the South. the North's military hardware is plentiful, but outdated. Two things I would be interested in seeing are 1) how long the North can uphold a decent war effort in terms of supplies and resources (especially seeing how the PRC isn't too keen on Kim Jong-Il's antics anymore), and 2) how effective the vast North Korean border artillery network is.

Tony Pear

Korean war started from North Korea's invasion into South Korea.
Korean war was gradually changed to the conflict between liberalism and communism.

For the Peace of the World and For the Freedom of Korean Peninsula.\
Many young people joined 6.25 war. (Korean War's another name) and their precious sacrifice made current Korea.

North Korea has threatened the world with testing nuke & developing missiles until now. and they constantly attack South Korea and menace the peace of Korea Peninsula.

"if North Korea start a war again, Do you allow your country's army to join this war for the freedom of Korea Peninsula?"
I don't think a war will occur for some reasons:

1. NK is now very weak, their army is populous but is not well-equiped. The poor economy cannot support a war as they don't even have enough food for people.

2. SK doesn't want a war which may destruct its developped economy.

3. US is now too busy with its economic crisis and with wars in Afgan and Iraq.

4. China wants to keep Korea splitted.

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
i read your reply well and it was helpful for me to understand both of contries and it's army. personally i think south korea may need lots of support from other countries at that time. their capability isn't strong enough to cover all attacks (including missile,nuke) from north korea.
Sure, they cannot cover all attacks against their country from North Korea, but who could? They can however cover the vast majority of them.

North Korea on the other hand would have very little chance of stopping the RoK's Airforce and Navy from completely destroying his own on the ground, sea and the air before they turn on his ground forces.

StevoJH

The Bunker Group

1. NK is now very weak, their army is populous but is not well-equiped. The poor economy cannot support a war as they don't even have enough food for people.
Very true, however *if* their leadership thinks they can win, or at least drag the war out for a long time, they might go for it if their leadership ever comes into doubt.

Very True.

3. US is now too busy with its economic crisis and with wars in Afgan and Iraq.
If North Korea declared war, what the US *wants* would have very little to do with it, if anything it might make the North more likely to attack, Troops tied up in Afghanistan cannot be redeployed to Korea.

I'm not so sure about this last point to be honest, my impression was that the Chinese were getting quite annoyed with the actions of North Korea. China would probably prefer to have a functional state on their borders.

The problem is, if there is a war, South Korea and China are the countries that will have to deal with the refugee's.

Seraph

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I'm not so sure about this last point to be honest, my impression was that the Chinese were getting quite annoyed with the actions of North Korea.
A very good point. I believe it was the Wikileaks cables that revealed China's changing attitude towards the "situation" in North Korea.

The problem is, if there is a war, South Korea and China are the countries that will have to deal with the refugee's.
Mainly South Korea, I would suspect, due to family and cultural ties. Of course, in the event of a war, I daresay the end result would be a united Korea (led by the South, somewhat like West and East Germany), so the problem of refugees diminishes. This is also the solution China favors, according to the Wikileaks cables ("WIKINT", perhaps?) - a united Korea led by Seoul.

Pendekar

Historically, Korea is a dagger that pointed to the heart of Japan, but vice versa, it can also be said that Korea is a dagger that pointed to the heart of China. If not for the presence of US forces in Japan and SK, China would've dispose Kim's regime a long long time ago.

STURM

If not for the presence of US forces in Japan and SK, China would've dispose Kim's regime a long long time ago.
And why would it? China would then have a U.S. strategic ally on its border and would have lost a buffer, not to mention the billions it would have to spend of feeding the North Korean population. China is more than contend to mantain the status quo as long as North Korea does not engage in any moves that would destabilise the region.

South Korea is also not in a rush at unification as the South Korean leadership well remembers that it cost West Germany billions of marks to cover East Germany's integration. Any sudden integration would be a require a huge financial outlay from Seoul, even without the humanitarian and rebuilding costs that would result in a war or a sudden collapse of North Korea.

PCShogun

And why would it? China would then have a U.S. strategic ally on its border and would have lost a buffer, not to mention the billions it would have to spend of feeding the North Korean population. China is more than contend to mantain the status quo as long as North Korea does not engage in any moves that would destabilise the region.

South Korea is also not in a rush at unification as the South Korean leadership well remembers that it cost West Germany billions of marks to cover East Germany's integration. Any sudden integration would be a require a huge financial outlay from Seoul, even without the humanitarian and rebuilding costs that would result in a war or a sudden collapse of North Korea.
I do not believe China would allow reunification without some guarantee that the Korean peninsula would be under their influence, even if the South were willing to do it. Even an open border policy would threaten the North.

Kim Jong-il has to maintain a tight grip on his population. Sabre rattling with the south is one way to keep the level of parinoia high and justifies the sacrifices of the people to support their huge military in their minds. If the people of the North were to actually see the South as a potential friend, and not an enemy, the illusion that Kim has created would be shattered and the fact that millions of North Koreans have starved to death (See "Arduous March") for nothing would be an ugly reality to face. In the event that Kim ever begins to lose popular support, you can bet China is going to step in and remove him before allowing the south to do it for them. Hopefully before Kim launches a nuclear missile into Seoul.

exported_kiwi

I do not believe China would allow reunification without some guarantee that the Korean peninsula would be under their influence, even if the South were willing to do it. Even an open border policy would threaten the North.

Kim Jong-il has to maintain a tight grip on his population. Sabre rattling with the south is one way to keep the level of parinoia high and justifies the sacrifices of the people to support their huge military in their minds. If the people of the North were to actually see the South as a potential friend, and not an enemy, the illusion that Kim has created would be shattered and the fact that millions of North Koreans have starved to death (See "Arduous March") for nothing would be an ugly reality to face. In the event that Kim ever begins to lose popular support, you can bet China is going to step in and remove him before allowing the south to do it for them. Hopefully before Kim launches a nuclear missile into Seoul.
In the newspapers, here in China, and on TV, not so longer ago, there were all "happy happy" pictures and reports of Kims visit to China. If a conflict did break out, I believe, from public sentiment and from what I observe of the Chinese gov'ts actions, that China would jump in, boots n all at the outbreak of hostilities, solely to try and grab control of the strategically closer to Japan SK.

swerve

Super Moderator
China has profitable trade with South Korea & friendly relations. Conquering it would destroy its economy. N. Korean control would guarantee that it stayed destroyed.

N. Korea costs China money. A bigger, richer N. Korea (with whatever S. Korean industry survived the war) might wean itself off that dependency, & be able to enlarge & modernise its armed forces to some extent, with S. Korean technology. This would replace the current poor, hungry rogue with huge but ramshackle armed forces by something much more dangerous, & much harder to keep on a leash. This would not be to the advantage of China.

South Korea has US ground combat troops stationed in it. That is explicitly to guarantee that the USA will fight to defend it. Sending Chinese troops to assist in the invasion of S. Korea would start a war between China & the USA.

The Chinese economy is now heavily dependent on maritime trade. That would be disrupted by war in the Yellow Sea.

A N. Korean victory & hostile forces threatening Japan across the Tsushima strait would probably lead to rapid re-arming of Japan.

Defeat would be catastrophic. Victory would be pyrrhic.

I am certain that China would regard a new Korean war as a disaster, will do all it can to forestall it, & would not do anything to help N. Korea win.

I believe that any Chinese intervention would be confined to preventing US forces from marching up to the Chinese border, either by supporting a defeated N. Korea just enough for it to hold a buffer zone, occupying such a buffer zone itself (while loudly proclaiming that it is intervening to "maintain order", & has no hostile intent towards S. Korea), or maybe by purely diplomatic means, getting US & S. Korean agreement for only S. Korean forces to advance north of some line.

wormhole

NoKor nukes are the joker in the equation. Plus the state of mind of the Dear Leader as disease takes its toll on his body.

surpreme

If war break out in Korean. The fight will be bloody if the NK remain discipline. The war in 1950 US weapons were more modern than the koreans and China. It all depend if NK stay discipline. The N Korean are very discipline soldier even know their equipment is old. The SK can handle a fight with NK by itself. Just going be alot deaths. S Korean has the upper hand in techology but techology dont have nothing on a high morale army.

Last edited:

My2Cents

Nobody wants the war except maybe some members at the top of the North Korea hierarchy. I suspect Dear Leader may be among them (go out with a bang). The real question is the position of those around him, which is probably much less suicidal.
3. US is now too busy with its economic crisis and with wars in Afgan and Iraq. .
The conflict will probably be too brief for anyone to influence without at least their equipment prepositioned, which the US has done, so the cost of intervention is a ‘sunk cost’ and mostly already paid. Only personnel will have to be transferred, which would take 1 to 3 days, depending on whether or not they can fly into South Korea or need to transfer in Japan.

China probably has units prepositioned to intervene on their side of the border.
The Chinese will definitely intervene to prevent North Korea from being overrun to keep it as a buffer state. However the question remains of in what form would they intervene if North Korea initiated the war by attacking South Korea? Going head-to-head with the US and other allies is probably something the Chinese want desperately to avoid. Back in the 1950’s China was an isolated backwater, now they are intimately tied into the world economy. A prolonged war would cause too much disruption.

One possibility would be for China to intervene as an ‘ally’ with the intent to overrun as much of North Korea as possible before meeting up with South Korea and the US in order to force a new partition along the lines of Germany after WWII, probably in return for ceding a buffer zone to South Korea to put Seoul beyond cannon range. The north would end up firmly under China’s thumb to prevent any repeats, but China would also be required to do the needed economic development to keep their portion of the country viable. This would be extremely expensive, so they would probably prefer to avoid it if possible.

riksavage

Banned Member
Nobody wants the war except maybe some members at the top of the North Korea hierarchy. I suspect Dear Leader may be among them (go out with a bang). The real question is the position of those around him, which is probably much less suicidal.

The conflict will probably be too brief for anyone to influence without at least their equipment prepositioned, which the US has done, so the cost of intervention is a ‘sunk cost’ and mostly already paid. Only personnel will have to be transferred, which would take 1 to 3 days, depending on whether or not they can fly into South Korea or need to transfer in Japan.

China probably has units prepositioned to intervene on their side of the border.

The Chinese will definitely intervene to prevent North Korea from being overrun to keep it as a buffer state. However the question remains of in what form would they intervene if North Korea initiated the war by attacking South Korea? Going head-to-head with the US and other allies is probably something the Chinese want desperately to avoid. Back in the 1950’s China was an isolated backwater, now they are intimately tied into the world economy. A prolonged war would cause too much disruption.

One possibility would be for China to intervene as an ‘ally’ with the intent to overrun as much of North Korea as possible before meeting up with South Korea and the US in order to force a new partition along the lines of Germany after WWII, probably in return for ceding a buffer zone to South Korea to put Seoul beyond cannon range. The north would end up firmly under China’s thumb to prevent any repeats, but China would also be required to do the needed economic development to keep their portion of the country viable. This would be extremely expensive, so they would probably prefer to avoid it if possible.
If North Korea invaded the South, what stops China moving across to establish its own buffer zone? Many NK citizens will welcome the move as a way of preventing starvation due to all available food stuffs being channelled to the NK armed forces.

The PRC knows full well the North will be given a right royal kicking once the initial shock of invasion is blunted and POL/ammo/food starts running out. SK/USA reserves will move North from Pusan with overwhelming technical superiority and start chewing up NK armoured formations from the air.

The PRC doesn't actually need to get involved to secure a strategic advantage, the US will be weakened as a result of yet another violent and materially expensive conflict and at the same time an unpredictable nutter will be removed from ones borders. If if the PRC secures a buffer zone as a result - happy days.

A full-on conflagration with the US will dint the Middle Kingdom's drive to be the strongest economy on the planet - time is on their side so why then slow the inevitable with a costly war that brings absolutely zero benefits? Let your enemies bleed themselves white while you continue to prosper from the sidelines.

The only deciding factor is whether the North will go nuclear in a final nihilistic attempt to deprive the population of anything sustainable (whether South or North Korean) as Hitler attempted to do at the end of WWII - total destruction of Germany and its peoples.

Armoredpriapism

Would it benifit China to do anything but appear to "help" the South Koreans? They don't want the US to be seen as blood brothers to Japan and a newly emboldened Korea. If US military strategy is vindicated and China is seen as one of the bad guys it would only bring the south pacific countries closer to the US, right? I think My2Cents probably has it right. The chinese will do what the Russians did in WW2 and "help" a week before the war ends, just to snatch up territory.

My2Cents

Would it benifit China to do anything but appear to "help" the South Koreans? They don't want the US to be seen as blood brothers to Japan and a newly emboldened Korea. If US military strategy is vindicated and China is seen as one of the bad guys it would only bring the south pacific countries closer to the US, right? I think My2Cents probably has it right. The chinese will do what the Russians did in WW2 and "help" a week before the war ends, just to snatch up territory.
I doubt that the Chinese will wait until a week before the end. I think everyone agrees that North Korea won’t last long if they attack, and the quicker China joins in the larger the buffer zone that they establish will be.

Plus the quicker the war is over, with their assistance, the more they will look like ‘good guys’ in the press. :laugh

surpreme

Its in the best interest of both NK and SK not to get into armed conflict. There will be lots of refugees and other problems. Its matter of time for NK if it doesn't end the sauctions. The NK are facing sanctions and it hurting them bad. What will Kim do in a bad situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.