How much do various countries spend on Defense?

stud40111

Information regarding how much various countries spend on Defense yearly was in another thread but it was deleted because it was deemed off topic.

If someone could repost that information, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

A

Aussie Digger

Australia is spending $16 billion a year on defence at present. The Government has just announced a 3.5% increase per year for the next 10 years, which should lift it to something over $20 billion a year, which is fairly exciting given the paucity of funding for ADF over the years...

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Germany has a budget of 27,87 billion €.
And it looks like that the Bundeswehr is bankrupt in the near future. :( :mad:

Gladius

The Spanish Defense Budget aproved for this year (FY2006) was of 7.416 mill € with an increment of the 6,09% over last year (FY2005).

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
You mean billion, don't you?
7,416 bill € and you have better Leos than we have. :(

Totoro

it'd be nice if we could compile a spending list broken down a little bit. million dollars is not the same worth in UK and in India, for example. Like, braking each figure down to army, navy and air force and then furthermore each of those broken down to salaries and running expenses, modernization and new equipment budgets and finally r&d budgets. Of course, where possible. I do imagine such figures would be pretty hard to come by in some countries but should be available in most western countries on the official websites of their respective depts of defense.

if we all do a country or two we could make a decent databse. i offer to provide data from serbia and from croatia, respectively.

Gladius

Waylander said:
You mean billion, don't you?
7,416 bill € and you have better Leos than we have.
Is a little off-topic, but... I prefer to utilize the figures in millions not in billions (7.416 mill € = Seven thousand, four hundred sixteen millions €). Remember Waylander, in the Castilian (spanish language), the term billion does not means the same thing that in English, to remain sane :loony I prefer to avoid its use while writing in English.

A "Billón" remains in the Castilian as 1.000.000.000.000 = "Millón de millones". We use the term "Millardo" (from the french Milliard) to the 1.000.000.000 = Mil millones.

You know... Spain is different! ;)

Or not... France and Italy use the same system, I think.

Sorry for the off-topic...

Edited:

Totoro said:
it'd be nice if we could compile a spending list broken down a little bit. million dollars is not the same worth in UK and in India, for example. Like, braking each figure down to army, navy and air force and then furthermore each of those broken down to salaries and running expenses, modernization and new equipment budgets and finally r&d budgets.
Totoro, most of western countries publish their Defense Budgets itemized to the last Cent. It would be a very hard task itemize all in this forum, message to message, each block or seat of expense. Only the Spanish Defense budget is around 208 pages, and logically in Spanish. Translate dozens of budgets, of hundreds or thousands pages, coping some figures here, still with resummes, cuts and simplifications...

Maybe the figures for the most important chapters or a specific seat of interest?

Last edited:

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Ah, my mistake.
I thought you wrote 7,416 and not 7.416.
Because of that it looked so small for me.
Just bad reading. :eek: :hitwall

We have the same in german. English billion --> German Milliarde.

moughoun

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
merocaine said:
i afraid to check out the irish defence budget, my ego can only take so much.:)
it should hit the 1 billion mark this year, don't take the budget Day one at face value, that's the Day to Day operational budget, equipment is not bought with that

kams

India's defence expenditure

Here is a break down of India's defence budget. (all figures in Billion US$)

Total - 19.71
Army: 9.40
Navy: 3.60
Air Force: 5.50
R&D :1.20

Capital expenditure as a % of Total Budget - 41% (This is a concern for Ministry of defence. They want to increase it to 60%)

Defence expenditure as % of GDP - 2.4%

currency conversion - I assumed a round figure of 1 US$ = 45 INR

souce - Ministry of Defence Annual report 2006

Man converting all those figures from Crores (10 million) of Rupees to Billions of US$ has given me a headache..time for a coffee.

rattmuff

Lurk-loader?
Here's a estimate of the Swedish Armed Forces budget in billion $ and €!

Total 2005(1,52% of GDP): $5.5 | €4.3
Personel: ?
Material plan 2006-2011: $7.2 | €5.6
Army: ?
Navy/Marine: ?
Air Force: ?
Intelligence: ?
Logistics: ?
Security: ?
Liquidation: ?
Research: ?

As you can see; I don't want to read hundreds of budget documents....

ahussains

It can not give any thing spending any country on Big bugests its imporatant for every one to serve the humanity and do some thing for there poor peoples

kams

ahussains said:
It can not give any thing spending any country on Big bugests its imporatant for every one to serve the humanity and do some thing for there poor peoples
Mate, I am completely lost here. Could some one translate above for me?:confused:

merocaine

looks like we got a bleeding heart liberal here:hehe

turin

Waylander said:
Germany has a budget of 27,87 billion €.
And it looks like that the Bundeswehr is bankrupt in the near future. :( :mad:
Of course that number only goes including retirement funding. Until recently this budget position was separate from the Bundeswehr budget. The actual budget would be something along the lines of 24 to 25 billion Euros. The conservatives are discussing an increase of 500 million euros (excluding logistics/maintenance etc.) in defence spending. I dont know where this money should come from though.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
But it really looks as if the money is coming. Maybe some people in the government started to realise that it is not possible that every new foreign mission is payed by using the normal budget.
And remember the Bundesagentur für Arbeit has a big plus and we also get more money through taxes this year (Ok, maybe not next year :D )

kams

India's 11th 5 year defence outlay (2007-2012)

The Eleventh 5 year plan (2007-2012) for Defence ministry is US$ 145 Billion (give or take couple of billion to cater for exchange rate fluctuation, I assumed an exchange rate of 1US$ = 45 INR). This 2.57% of GDP assuming GDP growth of 8%. Defence ministry had requested for 3% of GDP = US$165 billion. This gap in allocation may hit some new acquisitions. Defence ministry is trying to offset the gap by trying to reduce the revenue component of their budget.

Could some one post the revenue/Capital expenditure of any western defence budget (Germany, Italy, France, Dutch etc.)