China Military build-up includes missiles, jets, warships

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
Reuters
Jul 20, 2005, 05:42

WASHINGTON (Reuters): China not only is massing forces facing Taiwan, but developing new long-range missiles and acquiring an arsenal of sophisticated jets and warships in an ambitious arms build-up, the United States said on Tuesday.

Over the "next several years", Beijing will deploy a DF-31 road-mobile, solid-fuel intercontinental ballistic missile and a JL-2 submarine-launched ballistic missile, the Pentagon said in an annual report to Congress on Chinese military power.

The current military focus by the People's Liberation Army stresses protecting Chinese borders and waters and intimidating Taiwan, according to the 44-page report, which lists a broad range of new armaments from fighter jets to submarines.

Here is a breakdown of some of weapons listed and a look at efforts by Beijing's huge PLA ground forces to slim down and mobilize:

Ballistic missiles:

About 650-730 mobile CSS-6 and CSS-7 short-range missiles in coastal garrisons opposite Taiwan. Deployment is increasing by about 100 missiles a year, including improved range and accuracy in newer versions.

The military is also modernizing its longer-range missile fleet with newer, more survivable versions including the mobile DF-31 and JL-2.

Air Power:

More than 700 aircraft within un-refueled operational range of Taiwan. Many are outdated, but Beijing continues acquiring sleek fighters from Russia, including the Su-30MKK multi-role and Su-Mk2 maritime strike aircraft.

New jet acquisitions are augmenting previous deliveries of Su-27 fighters and China is building its own version of the Su-27SK, the F-11, under agreement with Moscow.

Improvements to older FB-7 fighters will give them nighttime maritime strike capability and China has programs underway to deploy new protective electronic jammers on bombers, transports, tactical aircraft and unmanned spy planes.

The PLA is also acquiring from abroad, or developing at home, advanced precision strike weapons such as cruise missiles and air-to-air, air-to-surface and radar-destroying munitions.

Naval Power:

Includes 64 major surface warships, 55 attack submarines, 40 medium and heavy amphibious lift vessels and about 50 coastal missile patrol craft. Two-thirds of the fleet is located in the East and South Sea fleets.

China has deployed two new Russian-made Sovremennyy class guided-missile destroyers in the East Sea Fleet and an additional two are under contract. All are fitted with advanced anti-ship cruise missiles and air defense systems.

China's Song class diesel electric submarine has entered serial production. Last year, China launched a new diesel submarine, the Yuan class, and it is expected to field its next-generation nuclear attack submarine, the Type 093. this year.

Beijing is also acquiring eight additional Kilo class diesel electric submarines from Russia in addition to four previously-purchased boats. The new subs will include advanced SS-N-27 anti-ship cruise missiles and and wire-guided and wake-seeking torpedoes.

Ground Forces:

China has 375,000 troops deployed to three military regions opposite Taiwan and has been upgrading those units with amphibious armor and military vehicles, including tanks.

The PLA is expected to complete another round of downsizing -- slashing 200,000 troops by the end of this year -- to bring the size of the PLA to about 2.3 million, according to official statistics. But the pentagon said paramilitary, police and reserves boost that figure to 3.2 million.

China's 2004 Defense White Paper noted that China can also draw upon more than 10 million organized militia members.

The Army acquired additional M1-17/171 medium-lift helicopters from Russia last year and is developing its own attack helicopter, the Z-10, which could enter service in 2014.

URL of this article:
http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/article_002698.php

Why US is afraid of China US must build friendly relations with the developing ecnomic and militery power which is present in Asia this will be benificial for both the regions the North America and the Asia if some thing happens then the results can be so dangrous caz the russia and China on one side and US on the other this will be a crual game not like the US Vs Iraq or Afghanistan.

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
ArjunMK1 said:
China will never have the capability to challenge the US in the next 20 years if it continues its military build up and the US sits like idle .
Actually China is preparing its arsenal against another Asian giant , India .

Chinese are masters of deception , they are hooping about Taiwan in order to conceal their real intentions . Chinese are no fools , they are not going to bring their destruction by attacking Taiwan ( and US).

The next major Indo-Pak conflict will escalate into a Indo-China conflict which will determine the fate of south, east and south-east asia .

:duel
Just to point out a few obvious facts here. It seems Indian and Chinese are suffering from paranoia from the modernization of militaries of both sides.

1. China most capable forces are deployed near Taiwan. On the Indian boarder there are only a few light infantry divisions and several obsolete J-6 fight squadron.

2. Secondly, India is alot stronger than ROC both in terms of economic and military power. Both sides have nothing to gain, but everything to lose by starting another war.

3. When PLA were evaluating their airlift capability few years back, they only managed to get 20,000 troops ready for combat in Tibet within a week. Clearly at that speed, any element of suprise will be lost in a war with India.

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why you people think that China is afraid of India.
China was never afraid and will never be.
China is maintaining ICBM's,IRBM's,huge no. of troops from a long periond of time why you people think China is preparing to attack India.
What one increases its troops airforce then it only gains some more enemies which are bigger then of its size.
Can you imagine what would happen when China,Russia,Germeny,France on one side and US and UK on one side THINK

UnarmedSoldier

Don't u think it would be rather stupid to attack a nuclear power ? Granted the indians wouldn't be able to threaten the rich and populous south-east China but still, why do it and leave yourself open to attack by somebody else (read USA).

mysterious

I dont understand how a thread about Chinese military buildup turns in to a self-boasting Indian capability thread! Coming to the topic, I'd say China's current goal is re-unification of Taiwan and keep check on regional hegemony from other countries while peacefully building up its own economic power to sustain its military expenditures. Motto here cud be, 'Rise slowly but surely'!

abramsteve

I'm not being sarcastic, but why do China and India want to compete with each other. I can see no reason why either side would wish to attack each other, so why would they bother competing with one-another when both have bigger problems to worry about.

Could someone please inform me

highsea

Both countries have animosities that date back to the cold war. China built a nuclear arsenal that could strike at India. India countered by building her own nukes. China countered by helping Pakistan get nukes.There have been border clashes, disputed territories, etc. China is Pakistan's ally, and Pakistan and India have been at odds for 50 years.

Both countries are growing and seek to expand their regional influence. Both countries are facing energy shortfalls in the next 20 years, so they are competing for the same resources. They are competing economically for foreign investment, especially in telecom and high-tech sectors.

China has long-term expansionist goals that do not sit well with her neighbors.

e.g, the usual reasons...

This might give you a little insight on the Indian view:

http://ignca.nic.in/ks_41065.htm

Last edited:

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
P.A.F said:
i would say that they both want to be THE UNIQUE superpower of asia.
Dont you think that China is a Unique Superpower in Asia wrt the militery and economy i also want to mention that PAK geographical location is soo good that India would need to get gas from the pipe line passing through PAK so this will help PAK in the economy and people will get rayality PAK will be also getting the gas.Let this happen then India will avoid the threaten PAK and wil never attack PAK so peace betwen these two countries i think PAK want to get one leg of india in control then we can sit and talk for the solution of problems

doggychow14

It thinks of supperessing India with overwhelming military and economic muscle .
Thus keeping its forces near india minumul and loosely and signing new economic deals and investing in india. That makes great sense. Based on the past 2 years, it seems that both China and India are keen in developing closer strategic and economic relations. In the past china's record of imperialism has been, shall we say minute, compared to that of the west. China's military buildup is directed at Taiwan and the US.
It thinks of supperessing India with overwhelming military and economic muscle .
yes it still can house air bases. I'm sure the j-6s can be replaced with j-10s or flankers. All the su-300, hq-9, and other sam batteries are not located near the indo china border.

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
Thread is about discussing the military buildup of Chinese armed forces NOT the political implications and NOT about India. All irrelevant posts will be nuked by yours truly.

Snayke

I don't see why it is such a worry now. Everyone knows China have been building up military forces across from Taiwan, and have been doing training exercises on the Taiwan Strait for years and years. Why is it, suddeny NOW, that everyone gets so worried? If they wanted to attack, they would've attacked earlier. Can't really say much without adding in politics as to why China would not attack. :p

But if China does decide to invade Taiwan in some alternate universe, I think they would have a tough battle on their hands. Firstly, they would need to clear landing zones for their troops in come in via air or sea. Doing that would be difficult as China would need air surperiority quickly. Although China's air force inventory outnumbers that of Taiwan's, Taiwan can still pack a punch with it's current air force. I think China would have quite a few losses in the air battle.

As for ground forces, I don't know much about either side's infantry. Do Taiwanese infantry follow US training or an offshoot of it? Their army equipment is pretty outdated I think. Their MBTs are like, M60s or something? Anyways, it would still be a problem for China to land ground forces in by sea if pestered by Taiwanese aircraft.

Air dropping them in? I don't know anything about China's capability of airbourne units. All speculation on my part. :D

Francois

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Snayke said:
I don't see why it is such a worry now...
... I don't know anything about China's capability of airbourne units. All speculation on my part. :D
You should understand that China's goal, through Taiwan, is really larger.
And I mean REALLY larger.
They want to protect the SLOCs for their ever growing needs of crude and raw materials.
But they have a bigger view on the East Asian region, and Taiwan is only the first step.
To secure their needs, they have to control the whole region, from Persian Gulf to Far East Asia. We are talking of inner and out islands rings.
They need to get out of the enclavement they are right now.
So, they have to get first Taiwan, then they will have free hands to go in the Paracel (and the whole South China Sea), and go more east (Okinawa and Japan are the outposts of the second ring), and west (farther then Malacca/Aceh).

This is not discutable.
It appears clearly in chinese views and almost on filigrams in their public discourses.

Francois

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Snayke said:
So China is out to invade Asia? First I've heard of that.
Unfortunatly, that is the kind of information that is getting out of virtually all strategic studies conf I have been on (IISS, CSIS, Stratnet, and so on) and minutes of meetings.

Chamberlain refused all evidences also, remenber...

mysterious

Looks like all the China-phobia striken people got together and decided to spew out some anti-China rhetoric and threat perceptions that are totally uncalled for. If China is out to invade Asia, then in the same limelight, the US has already done so!

Francois

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
mysterious said:
Looks like all the China-phobia striken people got together and decided to spew out some anti-China rhetoric and threat perceptions that are totally uncalled for. If China is out to invade Asia, then in the same limelight, the US has already done so!
Well, if you think you are smarter then scholars that are spending time studying the world strategic issues, it is up to you.
One can call china anything but pacifist. Tomorrow will speak by itself.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
My friend China is a million year old country. Its the civilization of ages. They have had history of military build up & they stick to their million year old treditions. Yes they have history of invasion & occupying but they are limited. They are limited to regions where there are people of Chinese origion. Tiwan is Chinese, India's North is of Chinese origion (I think Aranchal Pardesh or some other state has Chinese origion of people), the part of Kashmir China occupies is of Chinese majority.

They only occupy & rule places where they find their people. Yes their military has ventured out side China but had only gone their fpr loot & plunder. Even if they ruled they dint stay long enough to call it Chinese.

Considering the history I dont think China is building up army to conquer Asia but Tiwan alone. They have let go of Chinese-Indian region to concentrate on Tiwan.

About making the influence spread over Asia, well no one can stop that. Pakistani gates are open to them from the north leads them out to the middle east in the south west. Their influence is in the east asia. But its kinda game of chess, it has to get the US's queen to be the king it self of the region & with fall of US in Tiwan they get the queen.

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
SABRE said:
About making the influence spread over Asia, well no one can stop that. Pakistani gates are open to them from the north leads them out to the middle east in the south west. Their influence is in the east asia. But its kinda game of chess, it has to get the US's queen to be the king it self of the region & with fall of US in Tiwan they get the queen.
Why taiwan is so important for China it is just a little Island :confused:also china has a lot of missiles pointed towards taiwan

Last edited:

Francois

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
kashifshahzad said:
Why taiwan is so important for China it is just a little Island :confused:also china has a lot of missiles pointed towards taiwan
It is rather a strategic issue.
Mainland China is enclaved in the South China Sea. No access outside without going by other countries' EEz or even waters.
It is well known that the day China get its hands on Taiwan, they will base their subs there.
Another reason is to get hold of the Taiwanese economy, which is rather large.

To Sabre :
You get the point actually. Just one mistake, one million years ago, China was not habited by humans... homo sapiens appeared later.
China is too much living in its past. They claim what belong to them once in the long past. What would you think if France claimed east Europa, Russia and Egypt because Napoleon did invade them? You want more exemples?

These are just excuses actually.
This being said, they are using the weakness of some nations to get in too.
Pakistan will not have the best from Europa or USA because they are an islamist nation, China is the best friend...
Turkey sees the doors of Europa closing to its face, and China is offering something.
Same with Myanmar, etc etc...