Can singapore hold its own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

long live usa

with a total strength of 418,000 troops that are well trained i think they could easily survive an intial attack, but do to its size im not sure about a pro longed conflict(we'll say there being atacked by indonesia or china higly unlikely i know) i dont think they could strike back offensively in any big way so the main point of the thread is how long do you think singapore could hold out without any assistance?

A

Aussie Digger

long live usa said:
with a total strength of 418,000 troops that are well trained i think they could easily survive an intial attack, but do to its size im not sure about a pro longed conflict(we'll say there being atacked by indonesia or china higly unlikely i know) i dont think they could strike back offensively in any big way so the main point of the thread is how long do you think singapore could hold out without any assistance?
IN regional terms Singapore has extremely advanced and capable military forces. It's airforce currently operates VERY advanced F-16 variants, (upgraded Block 52/52+ variants) along with highly upgraded F-5's and A-4's. Each of these is robustly supported by AWACS and A2A refuellers, along with a tightly integrated IADS and excellent ground and naval forces.

it has just chosen F-15SG's as it's next generation fighter. This is the most advanced F-15 variant made to date and though only 1x Sqn has been ordered so far, additional examples to replace it's A-4 and F-5 fleet are expected soon (ish).

This F-15 variant (known as the F-15SG) is likely to be THE most capable tactical strike fighter in the Asia-Pacific region when it's introduced (it will even be more capable than the USAF F-15E's). The Singapore Air force will then operate a "2 tier" airforce comprising advanced F-15/F-16 variants, the only genuine operational AWACS capability in the region, in the form of 4x E-2C Hawkeye's, soon to be upgraded to Hawkeye 2000 standard and possibly beyond, plus a high level A2A refuelling capability, with KC-135R aircraft fulfilling this role.

Singapore has also signed on to join the JSF program, with the aim of eventually replacing it's remaining F-5's and earlier model F-16's, with probably the remaining F-16's to be replaced as well.

The RSAF will clearly be the most capable air force in the region in years to come. It's Army is being significantly upgraded with new AH-64D Apache Longbow aircraft to be delivered and based in Singapore from 2008 and new artillery, SAM and armour projects improving her capability.

Her Navy hasn't suffered either with 6x Laffyette class "stealth" frigates to be delivered, plus other capable Corvettes patrol craft, minehunter etc and new submarines.

Overall, I'd say basically anyone would have a tough time of it against Singapore. They don't have a lot of "depth" and would be forced by geography to "fight hard" and not give an inch. Plus they are members of the Five Power Defence Agreement, meaning that Singapore would be able to call upon the capabilities of it's partners, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia and the United Kingdom if attacked by Countries outside of this agreement.

These Countries would be able to povide significant assistance particular in air and Naval capabilities...

long live usa

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Aussie Digger said:
IN regional terms Singapore has extremely advanced and capable military forces. It's airforce currently operates VERY advanced F-16 variants, (upgraded Block 52/52+ variants) along with highly upgraded F-5's and A-4's. Each of these is robustly supported by AWACS and A2A refuellers, along with a tightly integrated IADS and excellent ground and naval forces.

it has just chosen F-15SG's as it's next generation fighter. This is the most advanced F-15 variant made to date and though only 1x Sqn has been ordered so far, additional examples to replace it's A-4 and F-5 fleet are expected soon (ish).

This F-15 variant (known as the F-15SG) is likely to be THE most capable tactical strike fighter in the Asia-Pacific region when it's introduced (it will even be more capable than the USAF F-15E's). The Singapore Air force will then operate a "2 tier" airforce comprising advanced F-15/F-16 variants, the only genuine operational AWACS capability in the region, in the form of 4x E-2C Hawkeye's, soon to be upgraded to Hawkeye 2000 standard and possibly beyond, plus a high level A2A refuelling capability, with KC-135R aircraft fulfilling this role.

Singapore has also signed on to join the JSF program, with the aim of eventually replacing it's remaining F-5's and earlier model F-16's, with probably the remaining F-16's to be replaced as well.

The RSAF will clearly be the most capable air force in the region in years to come. It's Army is being significantly upgraded with new AH-64D Apache Longbow aircraft to be delivered and based in Singapore from 2008 and new artillery, SAM and armour projects improving her capability.

Her Navy hasn't suffered either with 6x Laffyette class "stealth" frigates to be delivered, plus other capable Corvettes patrol craft, minehunter etc and new submarines.

Overall, I'd say basically anyone would have a tough time of it against Singapore. They don't have a lot of "depth" and would be forced by geography to "fight hard" and not give an inch. Plus they are members of the Five Power Defence Agreement, meaning that Singapore would be able to call upon the capabilities of it's partners, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia and the United Kingdom if attacked by Countries outside of this agreement.

These Countries would be able to povide significant assistance particular in air and Naval capabilities...
but could these forces be used to strike back hard?offensively?do to its size i know they would not even give an inch of ground but how long can they sustain this?

Rich

An interesting exercise tho it would be better served in a discussion over conflict over the Spratlys resources. Of which I believe Singapore makes no claims over. This discussion would be better served if China, Brunei, Malaysia, Philippines, Taiwan, and Vietnam were included.

This is the flashpoint in the region. And these countries are the flames. The simple fact is that any conflict in the region would probably not include Singapore. China would only risk economic penalty, and a possible clash with the USN, if they thought they would get a great gain.

And Spratly oil is the only thing worth fighting for.

A

Aussie Digger

long live usa said:
but could these forces be used to strike back hard?offensively?do to its size i know they would not even give an inch of ground but how long can they sustain this?
I daresay the F-15SG purchase and the future F-35 JSF purchase has been aimed squarely at "long range" regional strike missions. Of course, it's capability is limited, at present they only have 12 F-15's on order, but they will be equipped with long range standoff weapons, such as JSOW so they do have SOME capability to strike back, yes.

long live usa

lets say we just forget about ally's and singapore was on its own i know that they have a very respectable Armed forces but do to its size i just dont think they could win a prolonged war

A

Aussie Digger

long live usa said:
lets say we just forget about ally's and singapore was on its own i know that they have a very respectable Armed forces but do to its size i just dont think they could win a prolonged war
Why would there be a prolonged war? What would China or India have to gain? If China attacked, the USA WOULD come to Singapore's aid, which would greatly increase the scope and nature of the war. India has no reason to attack Singapore (relations are very close between the 2) and only limited ability if any, to do so anyway.

Its pointless discussing hypothetical situations, without taking reality into the situation. IF Singapore WERE attacked by anyone, under FPDA we ARE required to come to there assistance. Excluding that is pointless. It's akin to suggesting, "if Singapore got into a war, and decided NOT to use it's airforce, do you think they could win?" It's a senseless topic, IMHO.

I'm happy to discuss it, but strategic reality needs to be taken into account.

Paxter

long live usa said:
urm put it this way no way in hell singapore will stand alone someone either the FPDA or america will back em up. If they some how do end up holding on their own my guess is they will hold up for 2-3 weeks long enough for them to send their other fighters, and military gear stored in america and else where back to singapore or a third country. And if that happends singapore will open up multiple fronts on the attacker. I think(not sure) if they do get attacked, Butterworth which is an malaysian airbase will be theirs to use too .since that airbase is part of the FPDA defence network. <<< and if the enemy attacks that airbase then Malaysia and australia will be barking like hell or prob join in the fight since both nations have fighters station there. I know that a 3star air marshal from Australia is always station at butterworth airbase.

URM their 420,000 troops more than half are not regular. But like Israel they wont give up 1 inch of ground. The only thing they fear is a wmd or heavy shelling into singapore with the commercial,military, and residental area so cramp up on one tiny island its going to be messy. I doubt they can withstand a prolong war, but they dont need too if it gets too long other nations ESP their allies will have to help. Esp malaysia since if we get attacked we "hope" singapore honors its agreement and vice versa

long live usa

i know this singapore can not hold out for long without allied help but the force that moved in to help singapore would probably be mostly American:usa

Paxter

long live usa said:
i know this singapore can not hold out for long without allied help but the force that moved in to help singapore would probably be mostly American
:usa

Dont be too cocky americans this isnt the middle east... :finger I do believe that singapore can stand on their own(1 month of combat) their mindset is the best offence is the best defence and they train with israel and have a similar doctorine. Israel didnt need ur invincible troops to defend themselves did they?

Btw what happends if that enemy is china u going to cross the south china sea with no contest? or go 2/3 around the world to come from the back way straits of melaka, which u might suffer what container ships suffer bog down in the shallow straits. IT be amazing if you can send the whole war fleet down that straits with out probs ur subs will have to be on the surface half the time and if you do get bog down nice juicy targets.

My point is their innitial allies will have to be around its area, and australia. Unless america knew the attack will come and station fighters and navy assets before the war started(they have some american navy assets there but i doubt a few ships will change anything). But lets face it no one is dumb enough to let america do that.

and i seriously doubt any navy will come out unscaved even bfr they reach strike distance to singapore and any fighters can be delt with quite quick... DUDE THEIR highways can convert into runways i mean seriously they really can do... the street lights fold down and the center bit can be taken out so that they have a wide runway. They know they will get hit quite hard which is why part of their armed forces are overseas all the time.

Big-E

Banned Member
Paxter said:
Dont be too cocky americans this isnt the middle east... :finger Israel didnt need ur invincible troops to defend themselves did they?
No, but they needed the $135 billion in US aid. They need American military equipment, training and support they have provided for survival. I don't see where you get off attacking America considering where you live. All US allies rely on them in someway or another for protection.

contedicavour

Singapore is unassailable, certainly because of F15SG, F16block50, E2C, Delta class (lafayette mod) frigates, 6 ex Swedish SSK, etc,...
... but also because the US Navy stations several of its ships in Singapore. Since the end of Subic Bay, at any time you are sure to find a few USN destroyers and frigates in Singapore.

I'm not American myself (I'm Italian) but I certainly feel more secure when I know I can rely on USN help in case of serious trouble.

cheers

Rich

Paxter instead of flipping the bird at us explain how the Chinese navy would even survive against the USN outside the range of their land based air cover?

Schumacher

Interesting thread, but all have got the likely adversaries of S'pore wrong. No, it's not China or India. Think M'sia & Indonesia.

Big-E

Banned Member
Schumacher said:
Interesting thread, but all have got the likely adversaries of S'pore wrong. No, it's not China or India. Think M'sia & Indonesia.
Malyasia WTF? They signed the FPDA with Singapore.

long live usa

Paxter said:
:usa

Dont be too cocky americans this isnt the middle east... :finger I do believe that singapore can stand on their own(1 month of combat) their mindset is the best offence is the best defence and they train with israel and have a similar doctorine. Israel didnt need ur invincible troops to defend themselves did they?

Btw what happends if that enemy is china u going to cross the south china sea with no contest? or go 2/3 around the world to come from the back way straits of melaka, which u might suffer what container ships suffer bog down in the shallow straits. IT be amazing if you can send the whole war fleet down that straits with out probs ur subs will have to be on the surface half the time and if you do get bog down nice juicy targets.

My point is their innitial allies will have to be around its area, and australia. Unless america knew the attack will come and station fighters and navy assets before the war started(they have some american navy assets there but i doubt a few ships will change anything). But lets face it no one is dumb enough to let america do that.

and i seriously doubt any navy will come out unscaved even bfr they reach strike distance to singapore and any fighters can be delt with quite quick... DUDE THEIR highways can convert into runways i mean seriously they really can do... the street lights fold down and the center bit can be taken out so that they have a wide runway. They know they will get hit quite hard which is why part of their armed forces are overseas all the time.
isreal did/does not need American help you say?:rotfl they need American aircraft and equipment read up on the facts man:lol3

Schumacher

Big-E said:
Malyasia WTF? They signed the FPDA with Singapore.
Yes, the FDDA will help to minimize any likelihood of conflict but not a guarantee. Need to read some history between these 2.
Conflicts break out all the time between countries with some treaties.
Being an island also helps S'pore, although the straits with M'sia is very narrow. Means adversaries need to use Air & Navy to attack, advantage S'pore.

Big-E

Banned Member
Schumacher said:
Yes, the FDDA will help to minimize any likelihood of conflict but not a guarantee. Need to read some history between these 2.
Conflicts break out all the time between countries with some treaties.
Being an island also helps S'pore, although the straits with M'sia is very narrow. Means adversaries need to use Air & Navy to attack, advantage S'pore.
Please spell out your words, not everyone here are native english speakers and will have trouble knowing what your talking about.

Snayke

I do think Australia would be inclined to help for several reasons, including that Singapore is a hub for oil trade in the south Pacific.

Big-E

Banned Member
Snayke said:
I do think Australia would be inclined to help for several reasons, including that Singapore is a hub for oil trade in the south Pacific.
Including the fact they signed FPDA, train SAF pilots and house some of their sqds.

Status
Not open for further replies.