Build Mechs? Why not???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fizzy

Wouldn't Mechs be suitable for defense and offence or even for lifting for heavy duty? You people who watch what you call anime would probely agree of making mechs, but however you only want mechs to exist because of watching anime to see something created in real life from Fiction would be exciting to you. In somewhat I agree, I know there are people out there who dont watch anime or dont know what it is, but heard and know what a mech is which is a giant person like piloted machine. For you people who think Mechs would be a bad idea you maybe don't have a wide mind meaning you think only of what could take a mech down and dont think of the possibilities around it. I've been researching alot, people say mechs would be bad because a rpg could make it fall or it woud be too slow and would get damaged alot because of its low speed. I know this would sound funny, but when you watch all different kind of anime involving Mechs you learn that not all of them are like gundam arent they? So here is the basic idea of what most people say for a mech idea. It would have to walk on two feet and of course be bulletproof and able to pick up heavy debri or cargos and the cockpit be tricked with computer screens some that would be your eyes screen meaning you would be able too look outside from all around. And the others montering you mechs vital and able too send out video and audio transmission and recieve also. Because people think mech would be like gundam it wouldnt work and i agree. but you limit yourself to only that. I agree of the basic idea of mech, but it would be stupid for it to walk if it were to that in real combat it would be taken down for sure and also the mech doesnt have to be giant size like how you would imagine it to be and also it would be dumb to use weapons for the arms for the mech. Now heres my idea to be frank I dont care what you think of what I say is bad idea. Now my idea yes the Mech would have to bulletproof, but made from the lightest strongest metal to reduce weight. Yes it would have to have computer programming in it. I would install two legs and the feets too, but wouldnt it look dumb running. I would install metal rotating balls underneath it to make it faster or install tires on the side of it like a car. Do you see where im going with this? Yes it would move alot faster and even more when add thrusters to boost it. Your probely thinking if why put that you mine as well leave it to be a tank. Well you see thats where your wrong. Remember I said yes the mech would have moving legs wih feet with tires or metals ball on the side of it or underneath it to make move way fast? You know how we skate with rollerblades right again do you see where this is going? If a mech would have rollerblades for it use not literally speaking though and yes if what your thinking is the same as mine then your right it be able to dodge practically almost anything because of its speed and its use to turn swiflty fast or dodging do to the rollerblades. Good thing we added eyes screen to be able to see whats coming at me so i can dodge it!! Now for the arms people think it would be cool to use machine guns as people say for arms for a mech it would be dumb because you wouldn't be able to lift anything or block from flying debri its common sense I mean you would want to use arms because you could equip it with a metal shield to block off weak missles right. Your think where would the weapons be then? The mechs body could be altered for that like put a giant m16 attached to the shoulders you see what I mean use your imagination or you could make a giant version of a machine gun and the mechs hands to hold it like a human see smart right? One hand for shield and the other for sword. People always think that the mech would be really huge like. The fact is it doesnt have to be godzilla size you can make it 10 feet or 9 6 doesnt have to be godzilla size as long as the cockpit fits along with the pilot it should be fine. People who love lalaland think and what if the mech is being shot at and the other says dont worry it has an energy shield its not possible to make that maybe in the future, but dont worry thats why you create metal oval shield to attach it to one of the arms to defend it from most things. Thats what I would do for creating a mech sounds simple as long as you got the resoures and the money and time, effort, and teamwork its possible to create a mech I hope some use of my info would be great for those mech making companys. Tell me what do you think or options reply back or reply at my email its [email protected] be frank???

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Wouldn't Mechs be suitable for defense and offence or even for lifting for heavy duty? You people who watch what you call anime would probely agree of making mechs, but however you only want mechs to exist because of watching anime to see something created in real life from Fiction would be exciting to you. In somewhat I agree, I know there are people out there who dont watch anime or dont know what it is, but heard and know what a mech is which is a giant person like piloted machine. For you people who think Mechs would be a bad idea you maybe don't have a wide mind meaning you think only of what could take a mech down and dont think of the possibilities around it. I've been researching alot, people say mechs would be bad because a rpg could make it fall or it woud be too slow and would get damaged alot because of its low speed. I know this would sound funny, but when you watch all different kind of anime involving Mechs you learn that not all of them are like gundam arent they? So here is the basic idea of what most people say for a mech idea. It would have to walk on two feet and of course be bulletproof and able to pick up heavy debri or cargos and the cockpit be tricked with computer screens some that would be your eyes screen meaning you would be able too look outside from all around. And the others montering you mechs vital and able too send out video and audio transmission and recieve also. Because people think mech would be like gundam it wouldnt work and i agree. but you limit yourself to only that. I agree of the basic idea of mech, but it would be stupid for it to walk if it were to that in real combat it would be taken down for sure and also the mech doesnt have to be giant size like how you would imagine it to be and also it would be dumb to use weapons for the arms for the mech. Now heres my idea to be frank I dont care what you think of what I say is bad idea. Now my idea yes the Mech would have to bulletproof, but made from the lightest strongest metal to reduce weight. Yes it would have to have computer programming in it. I would install two legs and the feets too, but wouldnt it look dumb running. I would install metal rotating balls underneath it to make it faster or install tires on the side of it like a car. Do you see where im going with this? Yes it would move alot faster and even more when add thrusters to boost it. Your probely thinking if why put that you mine as well leave it to be a tank. Well you see thats where your wrong. Remember I said yes the mech would have moving legs wih feet with tires or metals ball on the side of it or underneath it to make move way fast? You know how we skate with rollerblades right again do you see where this is going? If a mech would have rollerblades for it use not literally speaking though and yes if what your thinking is the same as mine then your right it be able to dodge practically almost anything because of its speed and its use to turn swiflty fast or dodging do to the rollerblades. Good thing we added eyes screen to be able to see whats coming at me so i can dodge it!! Now for the arms people think it would be cool to use machine guns as people say for arms for a mech it would be dumb because you wouldn't be able to lift anything or block from flying debri its common sense I mean you would want to use arms because you could equip it with a metal shield to block off weak missles right. Your think where would the weapons be then? The mechs body could be altered for that like put a giant m16 attached to the shoulders you see what I mean use your imagination or you could make a giant version of a machine gun and the mechs hands to hold it like a human see smart right? One hand for shield and the other for sword. People always think that the mech would be really huge like. The fact is it doesnt have to be godzilla size you can make it 10 feet or 9 6 doesnt have to be godzilla size as long as the cockpit fits along with the pilot it should be fine. People who love lalaland think and what if the mech is being shot at and the other says dont worry it has an energy shield its not possible to make that maybe in the future, but dont worry thats why you create metal oval shield to attach it to one of the arms to defend it from most things. Thats what I would do for creating a mech sounds simple as long as you got the resoures and the money and time, effort, and teamwork its possible to create a mech I hope some use of my info would be great for those mech making companys. Tell me what do you think or options reply back or reply at my email its [email protected] be frank???
Fizzy, mate I applaud your enthusiasm and your imagination but can you please do everybody a favour make use of paragraphing. This tome of yours is a really hard read otherwise.

FYI there are some exoskeleton vids available on YouTube if you do a search - a precursor of the tech that you would need to get these mech's working?

Fizzy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
ok

Fizzy, mate I applaud your enthusiasm and your imagination but can you please do everybody a favour make use of paragraphing. This tome of yours is a really hard read otherwise.

FYI there are some exoskeleton vids available on YouTube if you do a search - a precursor of the tech that you would need to get these mech's working?
Sorry if you can't read it I was typing it too fast. Yes next time I'll make my paragraph clean.

What are the videos you mentioned? The exoskeleton um whats the videos name?

ari

Sorry if you can't read it I was typing it too fast. Yes next time I'll make my paragraph clean.

What are the videos you mentioned? The exoskeleton um whats the videos name?

Exo-Skeleton Developed by US Military [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwaD5-GlHXg"]LINK[/ame]

Typical Anime Looking Mech, Home Made [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atfdOPF4VGM"]LINK[/ame]

a quick search on YouTube and you'll get hundreds more.

Maeda Toshiie

1 Your "mech" is about the height of an M1 tank. It sticks out like a sore thumb visually.

2. Surface area to volume ratio. Protection will be totally inadequate for a given weight limit. Too many points of vulnerability. A vehicle chassis will ALWAYS be more efficient.

If a mech would have rollerblades for it use not literally speaking though and yes if what your thinking is the same as mine then your right it be able to dodge practically almost anything because of its speed and its use to turn swiflty fast or dodging do to the rollerblades. Good thing we added eyes screen to be able to see whats coming at me so i can dodge it!!
You got to be shitting me! Do you know the speed of missiles and various types of other projectiles?

The mechs body could be altered for that like put a giant m16 attached to the shoulders you see what I mean use your imagination or you could make a giant version of a machine gun and the mechs hands to hold it like a human see smart right? One hand for shield and the other for sword.
Son, I marched with a rifle before, and I never thought a sword and shield would be useful to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding those videos:

1. Those exoskeletons have no armour attached. How much strength is left when it gets full loaded with armour?

2. The demo is still reliant on an external power source. When will sufficiently reliable batteries that store enough power be available? Can it supply enough power to last a patrol? What is the logistical requirements necessary to equip and maintain an entire battalion of infantry thus equiped?

Sure, the sight of Elementals running around on the field would be nice, but that is a long way off.

shag

For humanoid or insectoid models surface area to volume ratio would be too high compared to a boxy vehicle like tank. It would also expose too many points of vulnerablity like servos or hydraulics on the joints against mobile infantry equipped with RPG or conventional armor.mechanical equipment simply doesn't provide as much redundancy as biology thats why such a design is not feasible IMO.

ari

1. Those exoskeletons have no armour attached. How much strength is left when it gets full loaded with armour?
I think the exoskeleton suits are designed more for labour task rather than battle, lifting supplies and ammo etc. I just posted those to show the OP some concepts based around the idea of a Mech. Of course, as you mentioned, it's all still early development, but as we've seen with computers, Robotic technology will get smaller and more advanced, maybe not in our life time but eventually we might see actual "mechanized" infantry units, utilizing combat exoskeleton suits. :D

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
Rollerblades? Shield? Sword?

For some reason i think someone has been watching way too much Anime.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Normally I don't attend such threads but as I loved to play and read Battletech I couldn't resist.

What I can imagine is that at sometime in the future individual soldiers are going to get so much armor attached to them that they look like little mechs.
The technology of the future may give us the ability to put armor onto an agile exosceleton while also being able to put a powerfull, long running but small battery pack into it.

This wouldn't be too far fetched IMHO.

But big Battlemechs, much less animemechs, aren't going to become reality

ari

What I can imagine is that at sometime in the future individual soldiers are going to get so much armor attached to them that they look like little mechs.
The technology of the future may give us the ability to put armor onto an agile exosceleton while also being able to put a powerfull, long running but small battery pack into it.

This wouldn't be too far fetched IMHO.

But big Battlemechs, much less animemechs, aren't going to become reality
yes, i agree. Big giant robot machines wouldn't really have a purpose that can't already be filled by tanks. I was thinking maybe mobile missile launchers, however that role is already filled by submarines and frigates. but infantry equipped with robotic exoskeletons, whether it be used to lift larger heavier weapons that a soldier normally couldn't or a full body combat suits, is possible, and in development.

Beatmaster

Ok this sounds way to futuristic, and as some have said this is not going to happen in the near future but perhaps in 2100 or it might never happen.

But in all reality could this be done anyway?
I mean todays soldier is pretty wel protected but could it be made a 100 times or even a 1000 times stronger?.
We all know the idea of a tank put a few people in it mount a gun and BLAST away.
But could this be done with a single human? i mean give this human a capsule of some sort of massive protection material.
With some operation controls inside so that he basicly controls a walking steel plated suit? ( Sounds like Transformers) just kidding.
But could it be done? building a easy to use fully armored suit that enables the wearer to be 99% save against heavy high calibre machineguns, mines, granates and even rpg's? ill guess tanks shells would be a bit to mutch.
Just wondering because it sound stupid and futuristic but one the oder hand lets say that this is possible than a normal soldier has so mutch more survival %'s and it might save lives.
The did the same with the EOD squad when they disarm a bom then the wear a virtually blast free suit.

ari

Ok this sounds way to futuristic, and as some have said this is not going to happen in the near future but perhaps in 2100 or it might never happen.

But in all reality could this be done anyway?
I mean todays soldier is pretty wel protected but could it be made a 100 times or even a 1000 times stronger?.
We all know the idea of a tank put a few people in it mount a gun and BLAST away.
But could this be done with a single human? i mean give this human a capsule of some sort of massive protection material.
With some operation controls inside so that he basicly controls a walking steel plated suit? ( Sounds like Transformers) just kidding.
But could it be done? building a easy to use fully armored suit that enables the wearer to be 99% save against heavy high calibre machineguns, mines, granates and even rpg's? ill guess tanks shells would be a bit to mutch.
Just wondering because it sound stupid and futuristic but one the oder hand lets say that this is possible than a normal soldier has so mutch more survival %'s and it might save lives.
The did the same with the EOD squad when they disarm a bom then the wear a virtually blast free suit.
Yeah, most likely they will. But I reckon they will use these exoskeleton suits more for lifting heavy objects. We will probably see engineers in the future using these suits for battlefield construction. Also, if they develop a new small mobile missile system it could possible be attached to these suits, allowing the operator to lift it when they normally couldn't :D One man running around with two massive Gatling guns one each arm and rocket launchers on the shoulders HAHA

Fizzy

Wth???

Rollerblades? Shield? Sword?

For some reason i think someone has been watching way too much Anime.
Bro im saying if they made one that would be my idea Im not saying it would really work and i dont watch alot anime the time when i watched anime is when i was like 9 or 10 and that was Gundam the main point Why I put this up is because Ive seen threads of can mechs be possible and im responding with my idea and yes i do agree with people who answered, but please i put this up to get peoples opinion not sorry who says i think soemone watches way too anime!!!!!!!

Fizzy

okay

1 Your "mech" is about the height of an M1 tank. It sticks out like a sore thumb visually.

2. Surface area to volume ratio. Protection will be totally inadequate for a given weight limit. Too many points of vulnerability. A vehicle chassis will ALWAYS be more efficient.

You got to be shitting me! Do you know the speed of missiles and various types of other projectiles?

Son, I marched with a rifle before, and I never thought a sword and shield would be useful to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding those videos:

2. The demo is still reliant on an external power source. When will sufficiently reliable batteries that store enough power be available? Can it supply enough power to last a patrol? What is the logistical requirements necessary to equip and maintain an entire battalion of infantry thus equiped?

Sure, the sight of Elementals running around on the field would be nice, but that is a long way off.
I guess your right, but i really put this up for the thread of people who say can mechs be possible??
So are you from the military?
I have a friend who did 20 years of it i think he was a transporter for delivering tanks he told me as he were transporting he would see alot of dead cillivians in cars he told me what they see there they dont really show here in america is that true?
im also thinking about siging up for the military i heard from my friend who got back saying if you sign up now i would stay in iraq for a year then i can pick any station in america for the remaining

Gen.Greyon

Old thread but I love the subject.

Oh there will be "Mechs" one day but they will come to be in an around about way. They will come to be the same way we got attack helicopters: Helicopters started out as logistical support equipment. Then they had to defend themselves so someone put guns on them. Finally they were designed to be attack platforms in their own right.

As of now, the "Walking Truck" is being designed for logistics. How long will it be before someone mounts an M2 on a Walking Truck? How long after that will a “walking anything” be designed as an attack platform? Not long.
Humans have a way of looking at everything as a potential weapon.

My2Cents

Old thread but I love the subject.

Oh there will be "Mechs" one day but they will come to be in an around about way. They will come to be the same way we got attack helicopters: Helicopters started out as logistical support equipment. Then they had to defend themselves so someone put guns on them. Finally they were designed to be attack platforms in their own right.

As of now, the "Walking Truck" is being designed for logistics. How long will it be before someone mounts an M2 on a Walking Truck? How long after that will a “walking anything” be designed as an attack platform? Not long.
Humans have a way of looking at everything as a potential weapon.
Too tall, overly complicated, near impossible to maintain, too slow, the list is endless.

If they really want a 4 legged transport to accompany the infantry in difficult terrain, go with well proven COTS technology and create a MOS for muleskinners.

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
There will never be battlemechs; ever, never with absolute certainty. Because of weight and ground pressure. A biped and even a quadruped has far too little surface area in contact with the ground to support the kind of weight densities needed for a direct fire combat vehicle. This is why there are no one and two wheeled tanks. The only four wheeled armoured cars were extremely light weight scouting vehicles and four wheels are equal to eight legs. Maybe a centipede style vehicle could be a tank but I don’t remember anything like that from watching Robotech cartoons as a kid. Tracks and wheels work and work well. If there is need for extreme step climbing that legs bring then articulation can provide the ability to cross these obstacles.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
I seem to recall a Scimitar tracked recon vehicle was claimed to have the ground pressure of a man with a backpack and rifle - and that vehicle weighed eight tons. I can see a case for something approaching powered armour or an armoured exoskeleton for entry teams or similar applications but anything taller than a couple of meters or weighing more than around 150Kg or so is hard to find credible - for all the reasons given above.

Big, tall target, thin armour, high ground pressure, complex and expensive.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Why not just build Iron Man suits and be done with it?

They are impervious to all military weapons including nuclear explosions, can fly at supersonic speeds, can fly through space and out fight F-22A Raptors in air to air combat and they can dive underwater for seemingly limitless timeframes.

There you go, all tactical situations sorted...

:hitwall

Rimasta

I think you might be on to something here. Other posts pointed out vulnerability to anti-armor attacks or attacks on joints, servos, etc...However a tank itself has many vulnerable points and critics have been saying the tank was an obsolete tool of war for decades now and the tank still has a well deserved place on the battlefield. Even the U.S. Army seems to have gained a new appreciation for armor after a shift in structure would propose having only two legacy brigades of heavy tanks. After fighting especially in Iraq, the Army seemed to remember why they needed tanks. They can take hit after hit and continue to apply pressure on the enemy.
Now a mech like from mech warrior might enjoy greater maneuverability in a urban setting, but it does see the chance of being anti-vehicle ambush's as a real threat. I would like to however point out many said tanks had no part to play in a urban environment and would be vulnerable to similar attacks. In 2003 the 3rd infantry attacked Baghdad head on with armored and mechanized forces and seized control of much of the city despite the fact standard doctrine called for strong pointing the city and clearing it with airborne and air assault forces. Mechs could work potentially in the same scenario but I believe in a urban setting they would need infantry to protect their flanks and rear but the infantry MUST be mechanized else they will only prove to be a burden to an advancing force.
On the open battlefield where there is plenty of room to maneuver your forces I see mechs as being invaluable. The power plant issue would have to be addressed but assuming it is figured out I see mechs as having much greater mobility and a plethora of sensors to give it a see first shoot first capability. Active defenses now being installed on IDF vehicles and considered for U.S. military vehicles would seem a viable counter to anti-vehicle missiles. The greatest drawbacks would seem to be the high profile of a mech and the expensive R&D costs, not to mention having crews for mechs who are technically competent enough to maintain their machines in the field.
I would remind all that many saw the tank as a gimmick or merely an infantry support weapon. It was men like Liddel Hark and Heinz Guderian who helped the tank become the fearsome weapon of WW2. So my point is using mechs like tanks or infantry may not work but consider the fact it would be a first of a kind weapon so employing it properly may be the correct solution.
Is it likely we'll see mechs on battlefields in the near future? Most likely no but it would be foolish and wrong to dismiss ANY new weapon to soon and without thoroughly examine the concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.