British Soldier Joining The Australian Army

miss moneypenny

Hi everyone

Am currently serving as a SSgt in the British Army and am considering moving over to join the australian army, I would be very grateful for any information (ie. would I be required to complete basic training again, deployments, Exercises, housing, pay etc

A

Aussie Digger

G'day Maam, welcome to DT. This is a very interesting question. I can't imagine that they would make a Staff Sergeant of the British Army do basic, however there would have to be some sort of "bridging" course as a minimum to make you AIRN compliant etc (Army individual readiness notice, basically your "ticket" to be able to perform operational duties, and includes current weapons qualification amongst other things).

Perhaps an IET (initial employment training) would suffice, but I really don't know. There was another British chap here a while back, who said he was a Corporal in the Royal Marines, and was contemplating the exact same thing. Perhaps if he's still around, or at least lurking he may be able to provide some insight?

If not www.defencejobs.com.au may be of some assistance, or a phone call to a recruiting office in Australia, may be necessary. I worked with the odd Brit when I was in, but never actually knew any who made the jump, they were always on exercise "long look" equivalents.

The ADF has very good housing available at all major military bases that are provided for little or no rent. Alternatively rent assistance is provided if you wish to live off base, and has apparently become extremely generous recently (one bloke I know was getting nearly $400 a week in tax free rent assistance to live in Sydney, this is more than sufficient to pay your ENTIRE rent, in most parts of Australia btw...)

As to deployments, exercises and postings. As a regular soldier, you will most likely be posted to a "high readiness" brigade in Townsville, Darwin or Brisbane (with Brisbane generally being seen as the most desirable posting of these 3) or to a training school in Victoria or New South Wales.

The Australian Army currently has deployments to Iraq, in the Al Muthana province and a SECDET (security detachment) guarding our embassy and providing convoy protection in Baghdad.

We have a special forces deployment in Afghanistan and an upcoming PRT (provincial reconstruction team) deployment, due to head off in the middle of the year.

We also have a small force deployed in the Soloman Islands, providing protection duties to assist the country with the problems they've had with militia/insurgents in recent years.

Other than these, we have other minor deployments further afield, which mainly consist of "advisers" (Sudan, Cyprus, East Timor and the Sinai) and on-going border protection operations designed to stop illegal immigrants and illegal fishing poachers (army provide "boarding" crews etc).

There is plenty of deployment opportunities in the Australian Army at present, with "slots" always being available. Our Army is operating at it's highest operational tempo at the present time, since Vietnam,

As to the exercise cycle. It's probably not to different to the British Army. All units undergo various sub-unit, unit and brigade level exercises throughout the year and sometimes undergo Divisional level activities in major exercises usually conducted with the USA, Singapore, NZ or France.

Being deployed to a higher readiness unit, means obviously that you will conduct a higher level of exercises designed to enhance the forces ability to deploy on operations.

The "on-line battalions" are situated in Townsville (1 battalion is constantly raedy for operational deployment at extremely short notice). Being posted to one of these units, means you will have a fairly hectic work load, when you're unit, or sub-unit is "online", however things relax a bit, when the battalions rotate, as they do on a frequent basis.

The posting cycle is normally 3 years, to allow for a degree of "permanency" in 1 place, however this may change, with numerous changes planned for ADF service conditions, due to extremely poor recruiting and retention of personnel of late...

Hope this helps, somewhat.

AD

miss moneypenny

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Brit Soldr Joining The Australian Army

Many thanks Aussie Digger for all the info. Another quick question for you, in your last paragraph you mentioned very poor recruitment and retention, in your opinon what would you put that down to? Here in the Brit Army a lot of the guys I know are signing off due to bad management and back to back tours.

nuke_em

miss penny are a british citizen bcause it seems quite awkward australia is on the othe rside of teh world and y the australian army and why not the american army. its justa question and you will need 2 move to australia to be recruited right? Most unique thread i have ever seen!!

miss moneypenny

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Brit Sldr Joining The Australian Army

Yes I am a Brit Citizen, reason for the interest in the Australian Army and not the american army is because I have family in australia. Have been in the Brit army for 12 years and want to carry on my career in the army as well as being close to family.

Izzy1

Banned Member
Hope everything works out in your favour Miss Moneypenny. Keep us posted on what happens, it's an interesting thread.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
hi miss money penny,i served with a couple of pom,s, ex para and falklands vet, and royal marine, and green jackets, all were nco,s (jnr) and all did recruit trg here in oz. however, they were all up squaded or fast tracked through, i think 2 weeks saw them through. they were posted to my unit as privates, however rapidly promoted, some courses will need to be done,but some will just be attendace courses. all of the guys i served with had a positive expearence here in oz, and i think one or two are still serving. not sure if your previous service will count towards long service, a percentage might. for the record we also had ex swiss,polish!,french foreign legion (the para and the pole) kiwi,s a south african and an ex RLI rhodesian....sounds like the oz legion non?

A

Aussie Digger

miss moneypenny said:
Many thanks Aussie Digger for all the info. Another quick question for you, in your last paragraph you mentioned very poor recruitment and retention, in your opinon what would you put that down to? Here in the Brit Army a lot of the guys I know are signing off due to bad management and back to back tours.
Bad management would definitely be 1 reason (it's why I left). Other reasons are that people who have served extensive ADF careers and never deployed operationally, have finally had the chance to in the last few years with our high (by our standards) operational tempo.

It used to be quite a big thing back in the mid to late 90's to "have an operational deployment" under your belt. Most ARA (Australia Regular army) soldiers, didn't... Now they've got their deployment "up", what's the point in staying???

It was so bad, people were actually told to take their Australian Active service medals off after Timor, by some ill-informed WO's etc (ie: they weren't used to seeing people wearing an active service medal...)

Other reasons include the 2 mot likely postings in Army (Darwin and Townsville) are probably the 2 least desirable places to live, insofar as postings go within Australia.

People who aren't "allowed" to leave that posting after their initial 4 years are up, leave the other way (ie: altogether)...

As to why recruiting itself is so bad? Well there's plenty of jobs available in Australia at the moment and defence has to compete for available persons with (relatively) low wages, (generally) un-desirable locations to live and (relatively) poor working conditions, on offer.

In addition, Defence is fairly inflexible with the staff it chooses (ie: asthmatics as children are currently banned, despite the many jobs they could perform) and it's current civilian recruiment agency that conducts nearly all Defence recruiting, is by all accounts, abysmal. Some potential recruits have been left waiting in excess of 12 months for recruiting to process them...

Who is going to wait that long? Not very many it would seem...

Scorpius

wow I wish I could join the British army.do they allow people from Commonwealth nations to join the British army?lol.

Subangite

Scorpius said:
wow I wish I could join the British army.do they allow people from Commonwealth nations to join the British army?lol.
From what I hear, yes they do, but maybe not all commonwealth nations.

I know of a Malaysian citizen who joined the British Army.

Subangite

Just looked it up, there are just over 7,000 foreign nationals serving in the UK armed forces, most of them in the British Army. Commonwealth citizens usually serve in the UK armed forces while maintaining their own nationality and are not naturalized. The top Commonwealth recruiting countries in the British Army were Fiji, followed by South Africa, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe, Jamaica and India. Under the eligibility rules, recruits can join the Army if they are Commonwealth citizens or have dual nationality, of which one half must be British, or are citizens of the Irish Republic.

So to answer your question Scorpius, yes they do allow people from the Commonwealth into the British Army, if you're a Bangladesh national, you are eligible and can serve in the British Army.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,170-1871215,00.html

Snayke

Big-E said:
Can a USN Hornet instructor join up with RAAF?:rolleyes:
If you become an Australian citizen you can. :p

They will always account for any previous service you were in. Just gotta be an Australian citizen. ;)