Australian Army Basic Training

injun

i am interested to know what your time was like at basic training? My main question is regarding physical fitness? do you do pt everyday at kapooka? I have been led to believe that the physical fitness is a bit weak at kapooka, and to expect to even lose conditioning. i consider myself extremely fit now, and am wondering how much they push you physically at kapooka etc? how many pushups a day? etc etc

also any other interesting things you have to say about kapooka will be very helpful. i am going in next month (after waiting 6 months) so i am excited to say the least.

Simon9

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
If you are very fit, you can expect to lose a bit of conditioning at Kapooka. The problem in recent years has been that Kapooka was down to only 7 weeks, instead of the original 13 weeks or so. This meant they didn't have as much time for PT as they did in the old days. It's creeping back up now (what is it now, 10 weeks?) so it might be a bit better than when I went through.

If you are of average fitness or a complete slug, you'll gain fitness. :) You won't do PT sessions every day but you'll get at least SOME exercise most days.

dweezil.comm.op

11wks for ARA, much less for resevists...cant remember exactly tho.

i'm joining up in a few months, could u comment on wat your training was like & roughly wat you did??

cheers mate:)

Kiwi1988

Its cold at Pooka :D And thats where the new tanks have gone.

But other than that :unknown But my friend starts his basic training on 22 Jan. I will ask see what he says.

dweezil.comm.op

Kiwi1988 said:
Its cold at Pooka :D And thats where the new tanks have gone.

But other than that :unknown But my friend starts his basic training on 22 Jan. I will ask see what he says.
yeah, my friends bf is going there soon...will be a big shock for him, he is the most unreliable peep i've met & but i think he'll pull thru, he wants to go inf, but he's not that fit, but it's his choice....when he comes back will see wat he says.

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
theres two types of training conditions, its either really really hot or really really F**KING cold, no inbetween, in cold, first two on Bayonet Assault course break ice in the water ditch:D

And thats where the new tanks have gone.
Huh? I take it you mean water tanks as wagga is in severe drought, the others are at pukka, not pooka

Simon9

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Yeah it depends on a lot on what time of year you go. My first day at Kapooka it was a record 47 degrees C. But by the time I left in March it was quite nice, even a little chilly at night.

Training has changed too much in the last few years for me to really comment on what to expect - I went through in 2001. But when I went through we did F88 and F89 training and range shoots, lots of pack marches, obstacle courses and PT, and many many many lessons on navigation, radio procedure, first aid and all the other various things like history of the army, ranks and the like.

Then they started dropping nav and ratel so I don't know what stage they are at with that now.

mickk

It is not what it used to be. No more hard times and tricks and bastardisation. Lots of learning. Your expected to be fit when you get there nowdays.

If you want to train yourself into the ground after hours you can but youve only got an hour. You cant do you own thing after lights out and theres no chance early am.

If youre used to 4 hours in the gym a day and riding to work and triathalons on the weekend then youre gunna lose condition. Its not training for the olympics.

dweezil.comm.op

mickk said:
It is not what it used to be. No more hard times and tricks and bastardisation. Lots of learning. Your expected to be fit when you get there nowdays.

If you want to train yourself into the ground after hours you can but youve only got an hour. You cant do you own thing after lights out and theres no chance early am.

If youre used to 4 hours in the gym a day and riding to work and triathalons on the weekend then youre gunna lose condition. Its not training for the olympics.
well, what kind of/ how much training would you suggest?
i'm training to get up to the army standards...but im not sure how much i should exactly do, so i dont over work it:confused:

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
dweezil.comm.op said:
well, what kind of/ how much training would you suggest?
i'm training to get up to the army standards...but im not sure how much i should exactly do, so i dont over work it:confused:
Just follow the Fitness program the the Army provides on their recruiting site, I'm pretty sure they have one still also you can use the NZ army one thats quite good, the fitness requirements are higher for NZ entry so its a fair bet.

http://www.army.mil.nz/careers/become-a-soldier/fitness-planner/default.htm

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/default.asp?p=470
Download the brochure and thats got a plan as well

If you feel like you surpass these then just increase time, reps as needed, following the same increase that are in the planners

Last edited:

dweezil.comm.op

robsta83 said:
Just follow the Fitness program the the Army provides on their recruiting site, I'm pretty sure they have one still also you can use the NZ army one thats quite good, the fitness requirements are higher for NZ entry so its a fair bet.

http://www.army.mil.nz/careers/become-a-soldier/fitness-planner/default.htm

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/default.asp?p=470
Download the brochure and thats got a plan as well

If you feel like you surpass these then just increase time, reps as needed, following the same increase that are in the planners
cheers mate

mickk

I dunno what you have been issued if anything yet. Get some boots from Aussie disposals, they sell the same ones used in the army. Get used to runnin in boots and pants. You get very hot as you know. Get a good camelback, they will let you use it at kapooka where it will be as hot as hell this summer.

Look after your feet get extra socks, cotton then the geen ones on top. Going to be so hot this summer. NEVER EVER go to the MO with a skin complaint. You dont want anythin on your file other than fit and healthy. The army doesnt like rashes. Some where along the line someone must have fucked up big time in the tropics coz he was itchin to buggery. Every other disease is ok.

water water water.

Get used to running with a pack on, it wont help much but you will get an idea of how to pace yourself and how you react to the extra weight.

Make sure you can lift your body weight a few times, climb up a few ropes and bobs yor uncle. You just need good overall fitness to make it more enjoyable. No one wants to be the lazy shit that comes last cos hes never run other than for a bus.

You can still order delivery take away food if youre a good scout.:D

dweezil.comm.op

mickk said:
Get a good camelback, they will let you use it at kapooka where it will be as hot as hell this summer.

Look after your feet get extra socks, cotton then the geen ones on top. Going to be so hot this summer. NEVER EVER go to the MO with a skin complaint. You dont want anythin on your file other than fit and healthy. The army doesnt like rashes. Some where along the line someone must have fucked up big time in the tropics coz he was itchin to buggery. Every other disease is ok.
shit, something else i have to deal with...i have ezcema & had it basically since i was born....damn....i grew outta my asthma but now i gotta get rid of this....man it takes alot to be in the army....oh well.

with the camelbaks, what would suggest to buy...well how many ltrs?

Simon9

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
dweezil.comm.op said:
shit, something else i have to deal with...i have ezcema & had it basically since i was born....damn....i grew outta my asthma but now i gotta get rid of this....man it takes alot to be in the army....oh well.

with the camelbaks, what would suggest to buy...well how many ltrs?
Don't take any medication or cream for your ezcema... they confiscate all medication you bring yourself and you don't get it back. As I found out the hard way.

Make sure you get a good quality camelbak. They are quite expensive, over $100. But a cheap one just falls apart too quickly. Get one with an Auscam cover and one that doesn't have any bright labels on it, no matter how small the labels are. For size, I'd say just a 2 litre camelbak will do. No more than 3 litres. They get too big and bulky, and you can always refill your camelbak from your water bottles when it gets low.

dweezil.comm.op

Simon9 said:
Don't take any medication or cream for your ezcema... they confiscate all medication you bring yourself and you don't get it back. As I found out the hard way.

Make sure you get a good quality camelbak. They are quite expensive, over $100. But a cheap one just falls apart too quickly. Get one with an Auscam cover and one that doesn't have any bright labels on it, no matter how small the labels are. For size, I'd say just a 2 litre camelbak will do. No more than 3 litres. They get too big and bulky, and you can always refill your camelbak from your water bottles when it gets low.
thanks for the advise:) btw can you take a puffer just in case of asthma if i tell the medical officer & the other officers???or will that also get confiscated too?

Simon9

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
dweezil.comm.op said:
thanks for the advise:) btw can you take a puffer just in case of asthma if i tell the medical officer & the other officers???or will that also get confiscated too?
If you tell the medical officer you have a puffer you will get kicked out of the army. Anyone with asthma is not allowed in the army, and if you need a puffer you will be discharged.

When you filled out your medical form they would have asked you about asthma. If you told the truth, that you had childhood asthma but had no symptoms in the last x number of years (I forget how many), then it should be okay. But if you have symptoms of asthma today, and didn't tell the army, then when they find out you will be discharged.

dweezil.comm.op

Simon9 said:
If you tell the medical officer you have a puffer you will get kicked out of the army. Anyone with asthma is not allowed in the army, and if you need a puffer you will be discharged.

When you filled out your medical form they would have asked you about asthma. If you told the truth, that you had childhood asthma but had no symptoms in the last x number of years (I forget how many), then it should be okay. But if you have symptoms of asthma today, and didn't tell the army, then when they find out you will be discharged.
oh ok then, thats cool...i know that the army is letting down their standards with ppl with asthma & tattoos so i thought maybe it changed...well when i apply to join it will be nearly 4yr with no probs with asthma so hopefully i should be fine...
man your a great help, its all greatly apprieciated:cheers

Simon9

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
dweezil.comm.op said:
oh ok then, thats cool...i know that the army is letting down their standards with ppl with asthma & tattoos so i thought maybe it changed...well when i apply to join it will be nearly 4yr with no probs with asthma so hopefully i should be fine...
man your a great help, its all greatly apprieciated:cheers
Well of course the other thing you can do, if you absolutely sure your asthma is gone, is just say you haven't suffered it for 10 years - not that I'm recommending you do that. I don't know if 4 years is acceptable or not.

Best bet might be to wait until the drop the asthma requirement. I believe they were talking about making it three years with no asthma... but I don't know what it is right now.

And no worries, mate, any way I can help just ask. :) Hope you get in, we need some good people.

dweezil.comm.op

Simon9 said:
Well of course the other thing you can do, if you absolutely sure your asthma is gone, is just say you haven't suffered it for 10 years - not that I'm recommending you do that. I don't know if 4 years is acceptable or not.

Best bet might be to wait until the drop the asthma requirement. I believe they were talking about making it three years with no asthma... but I don't know what it is right now.

And no worries, mate, any way I can help just ask. :) Hope you get in, we need some good people.
thanks, i've been wanting to join since i was 4 & even tho i suffered from really bad asthma as a kid & every month went by with at least 2 visits to the hospital, it never destroyed my determination to join. So i hope i get in. when did you say you joined?? what corp are you part of or were?

Simon9

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
dweezil.comm.op said:
thanks, i've been wanting to join since i was 4 & even tho i suffered from really bad asthma as a kid & every month went by with at least 2 visits to the hospital, it never destroyed my determination to join. So i hope i get in. when did you say you joined?? what corp are you part of or were?
I went through Kapooka in early 2001 and have been a (reserve) infantryman since, including a deployment to the Solomons... it's been a good few years. :)