Asain NATO-alliance

Rimasta

I've heard talk amongst certain officials namely on defensenewstv.com stating how the United States is considering a military alliance in the Pacific to counteract the growing Chinese armed forces to help maintain the balance of power in the Pacific. Obviously it wont be called NATO but it would be like NATO in that it is a military alliance with several member states all committed to mutual defense and deterrent. This makes sense to me also since the U.S. military is facing certain fiscal challenges. My question is simple to the experts here, how feasible would such an alliance be for one, and possibly more importantly, how likely is it the Republic of China (Taiwan) would be allowed into such an alliance. Some could argue such a move would increase the chances of a wider war with China should the situation go south in the straits of Formosa but in my opinion I believe it would make the idea of attacking Taiwan impractical since the Chinese don't wish a wider war with high-tech navies. I hope I followed all the forum rules.

Bagged12

I've heard talk amongst certain officials namely on defensenewstv.com stating how the United States is considering a military alliance in the Pacific to counteract the growing Chinese armed forces to help maintain the balance of power in the Pacific. Obviously it wont be called NATO but it would be like NATO in that it is a military alliance with several member states all committed to mutual defense and deterrent. This makes sense to me also since the U.S. military is facing certain fiscal challenges. My question is simple to the experts here, how feasible would such an alliance be for one, and possibly more importantly, how likely is it the Republic of China (Taiwan) would be allowed into such an alliance. Some could argue such a move would increase the chances of a wider war with China should the situation go south in the straits of Formosa but in my opinion I believe it would make the idea of attacking Taiwan impractical since the Chinese don't wish a wider war with high-tech navies. I hope I followed all the forum rules.
Is SEATO (South-East Asia Treaty Organisation) still active? Final Treaty came into force in February 1955, Parties involved include Britain, France, Pakistan, The Philippines,Thailand, Australia New Zealand and the United States.
The Treaty Stated the partners would develop their own abilities to resist armed aggression but would assist each other.
If a NATO like alliance were to happen,this may be the starting point.

STURM

I've heard talk amongst certain officials namely on defensenewstv.com stating how the United States is considering a military alliance in the Pacific to counteract the growing Chinese armed forces to help maintain the balance of power in the Pacific..
Very unlikely as Pacific Rim countries are not united in the way NATO countries were against the Soviet Union. Nor does China pose thesame level of threat the Soviet Union did. Pacific Rim countries each have different perspectives on how they view China and each have different levels of relationships with China. As it is China is already faced with countries who are U.S. allies - Taiwan, South Korea and Japan - and most of the ASEAN countries, 2 of which are non-NATO allies, have close defence relationships with the U.S. Then there is Australia and New Zealand, and all have economies that are closely dependent or linked to China.

Any military alliance, would send China the wrong message and could lead to a new Cold War in the Far East, which would not be in anyone's interest. I suspect that there are such plans in place should China get more 'aggressive' but implementing it would be near impossible.

Is SEATO (South-East Asia Treaty Organisation) still active?
SEATO has been defunct for several decades now. Politically, it was dead.

Last edited:

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
If you do some research on Ausmin Talks you will find some information (and if you search this site, some discussion) on some of the outcomes of the talks, in particular agreements of closer ties between Australia and the US from a military point of view, exact details have not been release as far as I am aware, but do include some potentially big steps in our joint relationship, also read up on Asean Defence Ministers meetings, APEC, EAS (East Asia Summit)

Here is a link for a read to get you started :)

AUSMIN 2010 Joint Communiqué, 8 November 2010, Australian Government Minister for Foreign Affairs

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
There has also been a lot of mention about increased defense ties between Australia and Japan in the news over the last few years.

In addition Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, New Zealand and the UK are all tied together through the FPDA. Until the mid/late 1980's Australia had a Squadron of Mirage fighters based at RAAF/RMAF Buttersworth in Malaysia, even today there is a infantry company (normally drawn from the various reserve battalions i think?) based at Buttersworth on rotation, along with visits by AP-3C's.