Army, Airforce and Navy related Movies.

rajupaki

Gys i am currently in search of some great movies related to Militery i hope that i could get some great stuff through this forum.

BTW i personally like "Behind Enemy Lines", "Top Gun" and " US Marshals".
;)

neel24neo

"saving private ryan"is pretty realistic war movie.i liked it a lot.it gives you the feel of a real war,atleast glimpses of it.also "crimson tide".i haven't seen "enemy at the gates"but heard its a good one too.i have heard of two classic war movies-"bridge on the river kwai"and "apocalypse now"but havent seen either of them till now.another movie that is good is "wind talkers".

rajupaki

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How is "Star wars" I really wanted to see that movie but unfortunately unable to see it till now.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
For a modern war movie, Blackhawk Down is very very good. It's a true story, and the 160th SOAR (that's the spec ops aviation unit that was actually involved in the story) provided the aircraft and all of the flying in the movie.

An oldie but a goody is Hunt For Red October, has to be my favorite Navy movie followed very closely by Crimson Tide.

A great movie that isn't very popular that is a must see is The Beast. This is a movie about a Russian tank crew in Afghanistan who are being hunted down by the Mujahidin.

mysterious

Yup! You got a fan in me for Black Hawk Down and The Beast!! I've seen some other interesting ones too but have a hard time remembering their names. I'll probably post 'em if I come across them again. This other day I was watching some movie which showed real nice flying of US Navy F-18 and how the Serbs fire SAMs from a de-militarized zone and the aircraft (which was on a recon mission) is taken out by one of the two SAMs launched at it. But the whole scene, of about 3-5 minutes is just breath taking! :smokingc:

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
I don't know about the best military movies...but the Iron Eagle series could definitely qualify for being the worst! :D:

neel24neo

mysterious said:
This other day I was watching some movie which showed real nice flying of US Navy F-18 and how the Serbs fire SAMs from a de-militarized zone and the aircraft (which was on a recon mission) is taken out by one of the two SAMs launched at it. But the whole scene, of about 3-5 minutes is just breath taking!
that should be "behind enemy lines".

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Agreed, the Iron Eagle movies were as bad as bad gets! Mysterious just reminded me of another cool movie, Flight of the Intruder. It's a tad bit corny but definately some cool flight scenes and plenty of action.

rajupaki

neel24neo said:
mysterious said:
This other day I was watching some movie which showed real nice flying of US Navy F-18 and how the Serbs fire SAMs from a de-militarized zone and the aircraft (which was on a recon mission) is taken out by one of the two SAMs launched at it. But the whole scene, of about 3-5 minutes is just breath taking!
that should be "behind enemy lines".
Ya that movie really showed me the rely of US airforce on setellite technology, when the commander of the Aircraft Carrier use's setellite to search for the Lost Pilot in the enemy teritory and first time I sawed F-18 in any action. ;)

Aegis

Top gun is terrible! They use a F-5E fighter and claim as a Mig-28 in the movie! Lame....They shall at least buy a Mig-21 and claim it as soviet modern jet!
Iron eagle worst,get a F-4 Phantom and make it a soviet aircraft against F-15!
Pearl Harbour is bad too! Get a Modern Midway class carrier and make it an Akagi flight deck! In some bombing scene,u can see oliver perry class frigate in the back ground!

neel24neo

i am not a fan of top gun or pearl harbour and certainly not iron eagle series,but you have to give some thought to the constraints faced by the film crew,especially in making a period film...

Aegis

neel24neo said:
i am not a fan of top gun or pearl harbour and certainly not iron eagle series,but you have to give some thought to the constraints faced by the film crew,especially in making a period film...
If they think they r not capable ,DON"T MAKE! Blackhawk down is v realistic! Everything is so real! We w soldier is also good! Trying to cheat many aviator fan with a F-5 freedom fighter as Mig-28 is v upsetting! Do u know that?

highsea

A couple more classics not yet mentioned, "Midway" and "Tora Tora Tora".

In the unrealistic but funny category, "1941" with John Belushi.

tatra

Verified Defense Pro

"Stalingrad" (1993)
Directed by Joseph Vilsmaier

A depiction of the brutal battle of Stalingrad, the Third Reich's 'high water mark', as seen through the eyes of German officer Hans von Witzland and his battalion. "Stalingrad" follows the progress of a German Platoon through the brutal fighting of the Battle of Stalingrad. After having half their number wiped out and after being placed under the command of a sadistic Captain, the Lieutenant of the platoon leads his men to desert. The men of the platoon attempt to escape from the city which is now surrounded by the Soviet Army. After this movie, the Hollywood storyline of "Saving Private Ryan" is very conspicuous.

"Battleground" (1949)
Directed by William A. Wellman

December, 1944. The Nazis, in the face of the onrushing Allies, turned and pushed into the Ardennes Forest in Belgium and Luxembourg for what would be their last major offensive of World War II. During the Battle of the Bulge, as it is now called, they surrounded the town of Bastogne, Belgium, trapping the US Army 101st Airborne Division in the town. To make matters worse for the 101st, thick clouds covered the area for most of the battle. This prevented the Allies from providing air cover and air-dropped supplies to their troops on the ground.

The movie follows a band of American soldiers of the 101st as they engage the Germans in a snowy, foggy winter near Bastogne in World War II. They're low on fuel, rations, and ammunition; the Germans are constantly encouraging their surrender via radio and leaflets, and most importantly, the pervasive thick fog makes movement and identification difficult and prevents their relief by Allied air support. This film focuses much more on the psychology and morale of the soldiers than on action footage and heroics.

ajay_ijn

What about "Bridge Too Far" with good actors like Sean Connery and anthony hopkins.
Its about operation Market Garden during ww2.

U-571,K-19 and "Das Boot" are some good sub movies

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
Not to long ago, somebody was shooting a movie on the PQ17 convoy. May have been russians. Anybody hear about/see this?

Enemy at the gate: great stalingrad scenery!!!
Bridge too far: great movie, but complex and scattered story line
Das Boot: awesome
U-571: hollywood knock off
K19: not seen yet.

rajupaki

K-19 is a great movie based on a true story of Russian first Nuclear Submarine. Seriously it is a must see.
btw can any one provide a list of Airforce related movies, based on modern fighter aircrafts. and please also tell which movie is the best of them.

omegasigma

mysterious said:
Yup! You got a fan in me for Black Hawk Down and The Beast!! I've seen some other interesting ones too but have a hard time remembering their names. I'll probably post 'em if I come across them again. This other day I was watching some movie which showed real nice flying of US Navy F-18 and how the Serbs fire SAMs from a de-militarized zone and the aircraft (which was on a recon mission) is taken out by one of the two SAMs launched at it. But the whole scene, of about 3-5 minutes is just breath taking! :smokingc:
You are talking about the Owen Wilson, Gene Hackman movie 'Behind ENemy Lines' released in 2001. Yes, I agree the scene in which the missle was chasing the F-18 was awesome! But all in all the movie had too many holes.