Worlds most common battle tanks

Biber

Hi folks,
which are the three most common battle tanks still active worldwide?
Here's my list:
the Russian T-72
the M1 Abrams
and ?
the Leopard2? or what about the Leclerc? Well, they are modern but are they common?

Any guesses, numbers, information?
Cheers!

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Well how about googling it? Wikipedia, although not fully accurate in every detail, gives you a very good overview about the main users of any modern MBT.

It becomes harder with old or sovjet stuff which got shipped to lots of 3rd world countries. But the numbers operated by for example African countries should be neglegtible in the big picture.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thats the beauty of the internet, for stuff like this there's loads of info about this kind of thing.

Wiki puts the T-72 at 25k produced ( and T-54/55 at an eye watering 86k - 100k) which soundly beats the figure of 9000+ for the M1 Abrams which is also given. If it beats the Abrams then chances are it beats every other Western MBT in service at the moment in terms of production figures.

However, being Wiki, I wouldn't put anything valuable on those numbers being correct but for rough ball-park figures its not too bad.

EDIT: Usually its not too bad anyway from my experience.

Last edited:

My2Cents

Wiki puts the T-72 at 25k produced ( and T-54/55 at an eye watering 86k - 100k) which soundly beats the figure of 9000+ for the M1 Abrams which is also given. If it beats the Abrams then chances are it beats every other Western MBT in service at the moment in terms of production figures.
The problem is that those are the production figures. But how many are still operational?

And how do you count 3rd country knock-offs like the Chinese Type 59 clone of the T-54?
However, being Wiki, I wouldn't put anything valuable on those numbers being correct but for rough ball-park figures its not too bad.

EDIT: Usually its not too bad anyway from my experience.
Their figures aren’t bad if they list reliable sources, as long as there is not a political interest involved. If there is then Wikipedia has plenty of bias, most of it extremely liberal in the locked articles.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem is that those are the production figures. But how many are still operational?

And how do you count 3rd country knock-offs like the Chinese Type 59 clone of the T-54?

Their figures aren’t bad if they list reliable sources, as long as there is not a political interest involved. If there is then Wikipedia has plenty of bias, most of it extremely liberal in the locked articles.
Thats true, my mistake. I oversimplified to a degree I admit. Respective developed countries probably have a more accurate and updated value of operational MBTs on their respective military capability websites

Wiki does have some real gems of source material occasionally

Last edited:

HKSDU

do you even understand what 3rd world country means :drunk

18zulu

My experience is that the T-55/54 series is what we have run up against most often. The same basic ussr policy of build them cheap and flood the market has the result that some of them are still putterin around. 3rd world countries often recieved them for free or at a much discounted price. If you were a buyer and could afford a M1A3 you would buy it or the leopard2 . you buy a T72 only because of the price and the hope that you never run into a M1 , Leopard or even the old M60 series.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The T-55 series are quite common. It's not just that there's a few of them putterin around, it's that Ukraine and Russia still have warehouses full of them, and still sell them. As recently as iirc 2011 Uganda bought T-55s in Russia.

18zulu

The T-55 series are quite common. It's not just that there's a few of them putterin around, it's that Ukraine and Russia still have warehouses full of them, and still sell them. As recently as iirc 2011 Uganda bought T-55s in Russia.
Sorry I was being somewhat awnry. The T-55 series are quite common, for the reason you and I both stated. But having seen them in action, especially in some very remote areas being operated by people who have a lack of formal education, training, and equipment then "Puttering" would also be an accurate description. I wonder what the actual numbers are for units built and those that are still servicable. I am sure you would have to break them down by country of origin. With all that said the T-55 series has to be the most manufactured series since the T-37 series.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry I was being somewhat awnry. The T-55 series are quite common, for the reason you and I both stated. But having seen them in action, especially in some very remote areas being operated by people who have a lack of formal education, training, and equipment then "Puttering" would also be an accurate description. I wonder what the actual numbers are for units built and those that are still servicable. I am sure you would have to break them down by country of origin. With all that said the T-55 series has to be the most manufactured series since the T-37 series.
What I was trying to say was that it's not just a few leftovers. Significant numbers are operated, there is still demand, and a significant supply of them. By T-37 you mean.... ?

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
What I was trying to say was that it's not just a few leftovers. Significant numbers are operated, there is still demand, and a significant supply of them. By T-37 you mean.... ?
I reckon he means T-34, IIRC its production numbers were similar to the T54/55 isnt it? Could easily be wrong as my knowledge of modern Russian gear is limited at best.

18zulu

My apologies but I did mean T-34, not enough coffee that day. My memory may be bad but I seem to remember reading that the USSR made over 120,000 copies. But I suspect that wartime numbers were estimates and may include many that were knocked out in action and were later returned to duty after rebuilding.

Once again apologies for the bad nomenclature, good day

Biber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey guys,
From different sources the numbers of MBTs still in service run as follows:
T-72 19300
T54/55 incl. modification 13500
M1-A1/M1-A2 7900
Type-59 6000
M-47/48 5900
M-60 5200
T62 5000