Who is Using FN Herstal Assault Carbines?

LancerMc

I am curious to find out what countries are using FNH's FN-2000 and P-90 assualt carbines. I know the P-90 is a more common weapon designed for special forces in close-in urban environment. The new FN-2000 carbine has been ordered by a few countries like Solvenia. Thanks for any help

Izzy1

Banned Member
Jane's Infantry Weapons lists current users as:

FN-2000: Belgian Special Forces and the Slovenian Army.

P-90: Cypriot National Guard, Netherlands, Peruvian Special Forces, Saudi Arabia (Ministry of Interior forces here certainly use them). "Some other Asian users" and the US INS and Secret Service.

LancerMc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the info, does anyone know if these weapons are being used by any U.S. special forces? I have heard the weapons were intially designed for the Navy SEALs for close combat situations.

Simon9

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Thanks for the info, does anyone know if these weapons are being used by any U.S. special forces? I have heard the weapons were intially designed for the Navy SEALs for close combat situations.
Yes I think you are confusing the P-90/FN2000 with the SCAR. The SCAR was designed for US SF. The P-90 was in fact initially designed as a weapon for rear-echelon troops. Small and compact but still more effective than a pistol-calibre SMG. In fact it was originally termed the P-90 PDW, for personal defence weapon.

It's only recently, I think, that they've started marketing the P-90 as a CQB weapon for frontline troops and SF.

Chino

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Singapore Special Forces uses the P90 with silencers along with para versions of the SAR-21.

Gladius

Jane's Infantry Weapons lists current users as:

FN-2000: Belgian Special Forces and the Slovenian Army.

P-90: Cypriot National Guard, Netherlands, Peruvian Special Forces, Saudi Arabia (Ministry of Interior forces here certainly use them). "Some other Asian users" and the US INS and Secret Service.
Spain bought the P-90 for the Special Operations Group (Grupo Especial de Operaciones - GEO) of the National Police (Cuerpo Nacional de Policia) our version of the SWAT. Also this weapon was deployed overseas by the GEOs, on their diplomatic security detachments send to our Embassies on zones of conflict like Lebanon, Irak, Afghanistan, the Balkans, etc...

pounce

I am curious to find out what countries are using FNH's FN-2000 and P-90 assualt carbines. I know the P-90 is a more common weapon designed for special forces in close-in urban environment. The new FN-2000 carbine has been ordered by a few countries like Solvenia. Thanks for any help
Without meaning to be a jobsworth or to detract from the discussion here. The comparison between the FN-2000 and P-90 as assault carbines is somewhat incorrect. While the former fits the bill, the latter doesn’t. In fact last year in JDR the P-90 was correctly compared with the HK MP-7 PDW. The commonalty being the much smaller round (than the 5.56) designed from the onset to defeat the emergence of body armour. In fact the HK web site continues the comparison between both weapons. If I remember correctly the HK round came out on top.
http://www.hkpro.com/pdw.htm