What Infantry Setup Do You Prefer?

Spetsznaz

So here is what I want to know.

With all the current STANDARD technology what kind of weapons, gear, ect. Setup would you want if you were an infantry solider. The Equipment has to be universal, it must fit all kinds of environments, what I am saying is, you can't say "Well it depends on the mission and the environment."

ALSO: What kind off rank would you want to be? Lets stick to low grade COMBAT officers and enlisted personnel.

You can list almost everything such as standard rifle and different things to put on it, what kind of gear, how much ammunition you would carry? Also your sidearm, maybe a rocket launcher? Please keep in mind, the infantry setup, CANNOT BE unrealistic, I don't want you saying, you are going to have a riffle, a rocket launcher, a pistol, a sniper, and a small UAV. We want to consider weight and other factors so lets stick to realistic standards:) Here is what I would want:

Primary Weapon: A Russian made AN-94 assault riffle with a GP-25 or GP-30 grenade launcher with one round in the barrel and 4 on back up.:nutkick

Side Arm: I would prefer to have a .45 Israeli Jericho

Additional Weapon. 1 RPG-22 with one Anti-personnel warhead. Or HEAT Round (Still havent decided)

Helmet: I would like to have a current issue helmet of the American Marines

Ammo. 12 magazines of 5.45mm Ammo for the AN-94. 2 backup magazines for the Jericho.

Clothes: Current US Issued clothing to United Stated Marines (Don't want to list everything by name)

Knife: I want a Ballistic "Spetznaz" knife :smooth

Grenades: 1 yellow Smoke, 1 Red smoke, and 2 fragmentation RGD-5

So tell me what you think, whats good whats bad, debate it people!

Kilo 2-3

While this thread strikes me as being a bit dubious...I'll give it a go.

I'd go Airborne Infantry, US Army. Although it'd take a few years in the service, I'd try to make rifle company commander (Captain, O-3). He's isn't going to be doing the shooting, but his leadership is a critical factor in the survival of his men and the success of their mission.

I'd pack light. If I'm gonna jump in with no motor transport I don't want any extra weight. It increases the odds of injury in the jump and slows you down rucking cross-country.

So, I'm going in with:
*ACUs (Multi-Cam if I'm 173rd),
*Rucksack/backpack
*Canteens
*Spare ammo
*A small, short-range radio,

*NVGs for night operations (light infantry's going to do a fair amount of work at night, so they're worth having).
*Binoculars.
*Ballistic goggles or glasses. No reason to lose an eye cause you weren't wearing proper protection.

Armament-wise I'm still staying light.
*M4 Carbine. Small-unit optic, vertical foregrip, flashlight maybe an M203, although I doubt I'd ever need it.
*M9 in a hip holster.
*M67 frag grenades.
*Colored and regular smoke grenades.

'Nothin super heavy, 'nothin super fancy.

In real life, Spetsnatz, the average soldier isn't going near any of the high-speed gear you described. Riflemen don't lug around much more than a rifle and a few grenades. They don't usually go dashing around with a customized Kimber, a gold-plated AK, 4 RPGs, and a grenade launcher.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
A master-gunny isn't exactly rank and file infantry.

Also you really wanna lug around an RPG? and 12 mags of ammo? and a sidearm? How are you going to fit that in your ammo pouches? If you're using standard USMC gear, you'll have 3 mag pouches for 2 mags each, and a speed-reload pouch for another mag. That makes 7. That also barely fits on the front of your flak (after you add the grenade pouches, which you only get two of btw). Where are you going to put the extra mags, extra grenades, etc. also aren't your forgetting first aid kit? Assuming it's standard USMC issue, thats another uncomfortable pouch to strap to your already overburdened flak. And then you have your NVG pouch, your dump pouch for spent mags....

You're not gonna feel well with all that on you, esp. when it involves lots of running around, jumping up and falling down, etc. And you still need to carry water on you. So be it canteens, or a camelback, it's extra weight. And if it's canteens, it won't be comfortable either (because you once again need to attach canteen pouches somewhere).

Kilo 2-3

A master-gunny isn't exactly rank and file infantry.

Also you really wanna lug around an RPG? and 12 mags of ammo? and a sidearm? How are you going to fit that in your ammo pouches? If you're using standard USMC gear, you'll have 3 mag pouches for 2 mags each, and a speed-reload pouch for another mag. That makes 7. That also barely fits on the front of your flak (after you add the grenade pouches, which you only get two of btw). Where are you going to put the extra mags, extra grenades, etc. also aren't your forgetting first aid kit? Assuming it's standard USMC issue, thats another uncomfortable pouch to strap to your already overburdened flak. And then you have your NVG pouch, your dump pouch for spent mags....

You're not gonna feel well with all that on you, esp. when it involves lots of running around, jumping up and falling down, etc. And you still need to carry water on you. So be it canteens, or a camelback, it's extra weight. And if it's canteens, it won't be comfortable either (because you once again need to attach canteen pouches somewhere).
:) Now I'm imagine poor Spetsznaz running around with 150+ pounds of gear in the desert heat, bullets flying all around and random bits of webbing and kit dropping off.

GI-Gizmo

TAR-21, S&W .40, M67 Frag, lots of gear . . .

ESCAPING YOUR OWN CITY / AREA TO A SAFE ZONE 20 MILES AWAY . . .
Supposing the scenario is a temperate climate, mostly dry and warm during
the spring, that the terrain is everything from urban to woodlands and that I'm
alone so I would obviously be trying to avoid confrontation and make my way
to safety undetected. I'm also assuming I have no radio or air cover or arty and
that I know my general area and where I need to head to and that I'm not injured.

Clothing: US army digital pattern ACU army combat uniform, cargo carrier type.
Boots: Belleville tactical research "kiowa" sage green tactical boots.
Helmet: MICH modular combat helmet w/ digital camo cover, attachment point
in the front and netting to attach leafs, deris, etc. to break up silhouette.
Body Armor: MTV modular tactical best in digital camo.
Outer Wear: ILBE load bearing equipment. Imporved version to work
better with MTV armor. Front and side belt pouches arranged to accomodate
other gear. Multirole combat backpack in digital camo. Comfortable and light-
weight knee pads and elbow pads. Ballistic eyewear protection. Carry ear plugs.
Gear: Bladder water carrying system, water pruification tablets, 4-6 MREs,
protein energy bars, first aid kit w/ wound clotter, bandages, topical lidicane and
morphine, duct tape, waterproof matches, lightweight camo blanket, mag-lite w
extra batteries, extra pair socks, chalk, camo compact w 4-colors, signaling mirror,
bug spray, lightweight durable binoculars, compass, S&W tactical watch, extra
batteries for devices, leatherman multi-tool, secondary small red/white flashlight.
Night Vision: AN/PVS-14 monocular night vision device. Attch for MITCH helmet.
Knife: Pilot survival knife, 5" parkerized carbon steel blade w camo sheath.
Side Arm: S&W M&P compact .40 pistol w 3 extra mags
Weapon: TAR-21 assault rifle 5.56mm ITL mars sight w infared laser for NVG
w 7 extra magazines and w strap for carrying
Grenade: 2-3 M67 frag grenades, 1-2 AN-M18 smoke grenades in green

Now I'm definently not traveling lightly, some would say just bring the bare essentials
and try to make it quickly to safety. In this fictional scenario it would be better to start
prepared and then 'drop and grab' stuff along the way. Obviously starting w this much
stuff, most would be dropped along the way. I could drop everything except
water, food, first aid and rifle to move quick or could grab an enemy rifle and stock up
on as much ammo as I can carry along the way. Also in my fictional scenario I'm
daydreaming that I'm trying to escape out of my own city / area so that is why there is no
GPS or maps. That would be Springfield, MA area and I have to make it about 20 miles
to safety. As for the enemy force, I'll pertend they are mostly light infantry, un-trained
rebels on foot and driving pick-ups w attached weaponary, seizing the city and general
area and un-aware initially of my presence. As for other people, maybe 50,000 are still
left in the area trying to escape on foot if possible.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll take MARPAT cami's, USMC issue flak and kevlar, M4A1 with ACOG, 2 fragmentation grenades, 7 mags for the M4A1, one IFAK, and one camelback.

Spetsznaz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
:) Now I'm imagine poor Spetsznaz running around with 150+ pounds of gear in the desert heat, bullets flying all around and random bits of webbing and kit dropping off.
Oh crap your right

I think I will go with 7 Magazine like feanor said.

And I think I will leave the RPG-22, let some other poor guy deal with that:D

And now that I think about it, I will want to have night vision and a long distance "Spotting" Optic

And one HE round in the GP-30 and only ONE on backup:p:

I am currently debating with myself, whether or not have an AK-103 or Stick to the 5.45 AN-94, I do like harder hitting rounds and not at someone and have the cover stop the 5.45:(

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll take MARPAT cami's, USMC issue flak and kevlar, M4A1 with ACOG, 2 fragmentation grenades, 7 mags for the M4A1, one IFAK, and one camelback.
Fyi, our standard ammo load out is 9 mags, frags + smoke (different armies different contact rate assumptions) and our SAW gunners carry even more ammo in 100 round drum mags (similar ammo load-out to M249 gunners). There's a brief description of our infantry section here. The average Singaporean infantry conscript is smaller than guys in the US military and if you are taller (5 foot 8 and above - now everybody thinks we are short like Danny DeVito :D ), you are likely to be posted to the MG or the 84mm RR support weapons sections - as they need to carry even more.

The Australians (F88 AuSteyr), Brits (SA80) and Singaporeans (SAR-21) are carrying bullpups as a standard weapon - so no M4A1s for us (don't ask me to promote or defend the bullpup - each country has it's own set of evaluative criteria with different weights).

I have to admit that the ACOG is sweet. :)

Here's a video of some Americans shooting a SAR-21:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B93C8o4_aQ]SAR-21[/ame]

BTW, Danny DeVito (playing mini-me) in Austin Powers, Goldmember was also firing an Ultimax 100 with a drum mag. Here's another video of the same guy firing the Ultimax 100,with a 30 round mag (there's also a 100 round drum mag available).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9U6nRjA1Bo]Ultimax[/ame]

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Haha. No M4A1 for me either. M16A2. But if I got to pick it would be the M4A1.

I only got issued 5 mags (supply ran out). But there is definitly room for 7 with the way I have my flak set up right now. It would be problematic adding more mag pouches to it, because as it stands I'm out of room on the front. And on the left side is an IFAK and the dump pouch. so unless I wanna stick mag pouches right underneath the firing arm, there's not many places to put them. I'm not sure how you guys do it.

Though I suppose I could pull of 9 if I replaced the quick reload pouch with another full sized mag pouch, and then had one in the rifle.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Although I am not nor have I any desire to be an infantryman (I do respect the grunts, it's just not my cup of tea) I was just issued a brand new rifleman configuration set of MOLLLE II in the Army ACU pattern and I will say it is great set of kit and I'd keep it for myself if I could, for my end of times stash. ;) The set consists of the following:

1. Fighting load carrier
2. Three M4 two mag pouchs (holds 6 mags)
3. Two M4 three mag side by side pouches (holds 6 mags)
4. Two grenade pouche
5. One flash bang pouch
6. Two GP/canteen pouches with two, 2 quart canteens
7. One multi purpose waist pack
8. One M4 six mag bandoleer
9. One e-tool and e-tool cover
10. One assault pack
11. One camelback
12 One set (top and bottom) goretex

Note: As issued, this gives the rifleman a possible basic mag load of eighteen, 30 round mags or, 540 rounds total but I believe the 12 mag pouches on the FLC would be good enough for me.

This is great system, infinately adjustable with infinate configuration possibitlites and it carries a load pretty comfortably, I'm impressed.

The UCP pattern the Army currently uses is "okay". I think it works so-so in most environments but isn't particularly great in any. The ACU itself is a great uniform and leaps ahead of the old BDU for comfort and utility purposes so I'd keep it. I would add a woobie (poncho liner) to round out the basic rig.

After loading up with body armor, ammo and water the only thing I would want to add would be socks, a cleaning kit for the M4, a towel, first aid kit, modern one hand use tourniquet, a small mag lite, NVG's, spare bats for both, ballistic glasses, field stripped MRE's and a couple packs of Ramen noodles.

Now the fun part is actually humping all that battle rattle till it's no fun, no more..... and that, is but one reason I'm not interested in the infantry. :)

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
That riflemen set you were issued didn't include an IFAK?

Also where do you hang the 2 extra 3-mag pouches on the flak? On the right side? But then you're either hanging them awfull high (and it'll be awkward moving around with it) or you're placing them where the IFAK normally is, in which case you have to move that somewhere else.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
No I was not issued an IFAK. The user manual doesn't show that item as part of the "rifleman" configuration. For that matter, it's not shown as part of the pistol configuration (I would guess for MP's etc), the SAW gunner or the grenadier configuration either. This item may be treated as sensitive, they were out when I got my issue or??

This MOLLE II system is made to go over body armor which they caution can't carry the same load and doesn't distribute the same load well. Even as configured, there is tons of room/space to add more since the mag pouches and the 2 GP/canteen pouches only occupy the front half of the pistol belt area of the vest. As I said before I'm not a grunt so I can't comment on how it's actually being used by the guys in the field however, typically the basic arrangements for this type of gear were derived from alot of testing so the location of the basic items probably wouldn't deviate that much anyway.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmph. My card reader is busted right now. When I get a new card reader for my cell, I'll take a picture and post it on here. As it is, the entire front of the flak is occupied with the 2 grenade pouches, and 3 mag pouches.

On the left lower side of the flak is the IFAK. The dump pouch is supposed to be there too, but I typically wear it on my trouser belt, so it doesn't get in the way of the IFAK. Same for the NVG pouch, except I leave it on the right side (dump pouch on the left). So the only place for additional mag pouches is on the sides of the flak. The right side is out of the questions obviously (firing hand), and even on the left side putting more things there would be awkward, since it would be relatively hard to reach, since they would have to be above the IFAK, which would place them uncomfortably under your elbow, and would leave them only partially attached as there aren't enough loops left to fully attach mag pouches above the IFAK.

An IFAK, in the marines at least, is standard issue be it SAW gunner, riflemen, machinegunner, mortarmen, etc. I'm surprised it's different in the army.

Last edited:

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Feanor, are you a Gyrene? I'm curious, are you using the MOLLE II system and if so are you using your armor in lieu of the FLC as a personal choice or is that just how your unit rolls? The little booklet that comes with the FLC shows all the components etc and in the intro says that the MOLLE II system is an issue item for Army and Marines. I reallize the Marines would be using a MARPAT version but I assumed it was otherwise the same gear. Since the MOLLE II rig is designed to go over armor I'm surprised your putting your stuff directly on it still.

Don't know what to say about the first aid stuff. My survival vest is the latest gen MOLLE type and it's packed full of first aid kit but that's on a tray that slides into the vest. Maybe the Army figures I wont be wearing the regular stuff anyway? :)

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never actually been called a gyrene. But yes.

It's not the MOLLE, it's the ILBE.

ILBE MARINE PACK

So different setup. And from what I understand there is no separate vest or anything for attaching the pouches (the way ALICE had the LBV), they're just strapped on straight onto the flak.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never actually been called a gyrene. But yes.

It's not the MOLLE, it's the ILBE.

ILBE MARINE PACK

So different setup. And from what I understand there is no separate vest or anything for attaching the pouches (the way ALICE had the LBV, we weren't issued anything like it), they're just strapped on straight onto the flak.

Then again I'm a reservist, so we might just be on the back of the priority list for getting it.

Last edited:

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Well here's the MOLLE II I was issued. On the back is the waist pack, which has a built in belt and can be worn by itself, or attached to whatever MOLLE type pack you may have. Although it's probably hard to tell in the pic, there are 12 mag pouches on this. As you can see, plenty o'room to mount alot more if desired/needed. There's just 2 stiff tabs on the back pad/belt that you have to pop to change the size and it's made to go over body armor with trauma plates. I like it, they did a nice job with this design IMHO. As I said earlier in this thread, the instruction booklet said it's for Army and Marines so either you guys don't want em or they just haven't made their way through the supply system yet.

Last edited:

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Can't seem to get the pic to show up in the thread, it's my photo and site so if a mod wants to edit feel free.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Links are fine. I can see 3 mag pouches, 3 grenade pouches, and 2 canteen pouches.Where do you mount your IFAK? Where are the 2 additional 3mag pouches? And where would you put the dump pouch for empty mags? Thanks.

The reason I'm so curious is because I haven't exactly been in very long. Squad sergeant doesn't care how we set up our flaks and lets us customize (with the exception of the IFAK which has to be on the lower left side) but it seems kind of awkward to reach everything on moments notice. I also don't bother with the canteen pouches, and just use the camelback.

EDIT: Wait... are those things on the back the two extra 3-mag each pouches? Is that comfortable to reach for in combat? It certainly wouldn't work for a speed reload, but even a tactical reload seems awkward.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Between the zipper and the canteen on both sides, is a 3 mag pouch. If you look closely you will see the wide web tab with a snap for each cell peaking out. The two mag pouches are mounted on top of the 3 mag pouch which is 3 mags, side by side. It looks odd but it actually works out pretty good and there is plenty of room for more on the upper part of the vest. On the back side is just a waist pack that can be positioned anywhere you'd like or just left off, mine is there now just so that I can keep my stuff together.