What do you think of the Imbel Ia2 Rifle?

felelo

Hello, I'm from Brazil, and this year I'm serving in the military conscription, what got me interested in military topics in general.

Brazil has been using the FAL as its main assault rifle for around 50 years, and since 2012 it is slowly being replaced by the Imbel Ia2, wich uses the same operating system as the FAL.

I'd like to hear the opinion of people who actually know about guns(I have very little knowledge on the matter), on the general quality of this rifle over the FN FAL, and other widespread used rifles around the world!

Thanks very much!

PCShogun

I am a military arms collector, however, I do not have a FAL in my collection but have had opportunity to shoot them.

The FAL is a fine weapon and, as you state, has been manufactured for over 50 years in several countries. It is battle proven and it has inspired several variants such as the British L1A1 Chambered in the NATO 7.62*51 cartridge, it is a hard hitting weapon with excellent penetration at the target. A design doesn't last for 50 years without being reliable.

The Imbel Ia2, is new to me. I have never had an opportunity to hold one. Research says it is available in two variants firing 5.56mm or 7.62mm. One uses standard M14 mags while the other uses a FAL mag. To me, that implies it has a lower and upper assembly that are interchangeable. The cocking handle is on the left(?) which seems odd as most people are right handed. I find no comments regarding reliability, either good or bad, though my resources here at work ;) are limited.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I am a military arms collector, however, I do not have a FAL in my collection but have had opportunity to shoot them.

The FAL is a fine weapon and, as you state, has been manufactured for over 50 years in several countries. It is battle proven and it has inspired several variants such as the British L1A1 Chambered in the NATO 7.62*51 cartridge, it is a hard hitting weapon with excellent penetration at the target. A design doesn't last for 50 years without being reliable.

The Imbel Ia2, is new to me. I have never had an opportunity to hold one. Research says it is available in two variants firing 5.56mm or 7.62mm. One uses standard M14 mags while the other uses a FAL mag. To me, that implies it has a lower and upper assembly that are interchangeable. The cocking handle is on the left(?) which seems odd as most people are right handed. I find no comments regarding reliability, either good or bad, though my resources here at work ;) are limited.
The cocking handle on the FN FAL is on the left too.

Most people are right handed.

Having the cocking handle on the left means that the soldiers dominant hand stays on the control group - pistol grip/trigger/safety - while the weapon is cocked. The one I carried on and off for 9 years was an Australian L1A1 SLR but the rest are similar. In fact, the same applied to all the other personal weapons I fired during my service

oldsig127

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Having the cocking handle on the left means that the soldiers dominant hand stays on the control group - pistol grip/trigger/safety - while the weapon is cocked. The one I carried on and off for 9 years was an Australian L1A1 SLR but the rest are similar. In fact, the same applied to all the other personal weapons I fired during my service

oldsig127
Tilt the rifle down to the right while holding the pistol grip in your left hand, reach over and cock the weapon, easy did it that way for three years before I got my F-88C, though with the position of its cocking handle on the left front I was still required to tilt it. The only firearm I recall using where I didn't need to do that was the Browning HP but that had other problems for left handed shooters.

PCShogun

oldsig127
Yes, I should have made that statement with the FAL as well. It feels odd on the FAL also and I would assume an upgrade would have changed that, but perhaps it is just a 'Me' preference. I tend to hold the fore grip / barrel shroud with my left hand to make sure it does not inadvertently 'wander' while charging the weapon, plus my hand can't be on the trigger and holding the charging handle at the same time. On larger, crew served weapons, like the H&K23e, the charging handle on the left does not feel as awkward as the weapon is stabilized by the bi-pod. I guess it is just a preference and we could argue both points.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Yes, I should have made that statement with the FAL as well. It feels odd on the FAL also and I would assume an upgrade would have changed that, but perhaps it is just a 'Me' preference. I tend to hold the fore grip / barrel shroud with my left hand to make sure it does not inadvertently 'wander' while charging the weapon, plus my hand can't be on the trigger and holding the charging handle at the same time. On larger, crew served weapons, like the H&K23e, the charging handle on the left does not feel as awkward as the weapon is stabilized by the bi-pod. I guess it is just a preference and we could argue both points.
Australian training was to maintain control of the weapon through holding the pistol grip there was no preference involved.

Cadredave

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Hello, I'm from Brazil, and this year I'm serving in the military conscription, what got me interested in military topics in general.

Brazil has been using the FAL as its main assault rifle for around 50 years, and since 2012 it is slowly being replaced by the Imbel Ia2, wich uses the same operating system as the FAL.

I'd like to hear the opinion of people who actually know about guns(I have very little knowledge on the matter), on the general quality of this rifle over the FN FAL, and other widespread used rifles around the world!

Thanks very much!
Its very hard to give an opinion of a weapon when all you've got to go on is Wiki? unless you can get your hands on it fire it down range then there is no real point giving a honest opinion, this rifle wont make it into the ABCA/Nato club in which most of us on here are a part of or were a part of and we very rarely ever see Brazil on overseas operations. beside that it looks ok on Wiki.

CD