Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Army & Security Forces

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

United States Marine Corps

This is a discussion on United States Marine Corps within the Army & Security Forces forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Couldnt find a USMC thread and figured the marines deserved there own one, For now I have put it in ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old September 1st, 2016   #1
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
No Avatar
Threads:
United States Marine Corps

Couldnt find a USMC thread and figured the marines deserved there own one, For now I have put it in the army section but not 100% sure where it belong's considering the have similarities and ties to every branch (Air, Naval, Land).

Recently the USMC announced they would be experimenting with the squad size's which currently stand at 13, To my understanding the main experiment has to do with adding a 14th member that for the most part would be a dedicated UAV controller.

Personnaly I like the idea of that, A small man portable drone able to get intel quickly with out waiting on the chain of command is a very valuable capability and one that as an Aussie would like to see the ADF look at too.

My opinion aside, Is this a good or bad thing? I may have recently posted onto solomons SNAFU blog in regards to the future ACV and USMC squad sizes and set him off just a smidge

SNAFU!: USMC experimenting with Squad configuration. They're wrecking the ACV plan before its even selected!

Regards, vonnoobie.
vonnoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2016   #2
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnoobie View Post
Couldnt find a USMC thread and figured the marines deserved there own one, For now I have put it in the army section but not 100% sure where it belong's considering the have similarities and ties to every branch (Air, Naval, Land).

Recently the USMC announced they would be experimenting with the squad size's which currently stand at 13, To my understanding the main experiment has to do with adding a 14th member that for the most part would be a dedicated UAV controller.

Personnaly I like the idea of that, A small man portable drone able to get intel quickly with out waiting on the chain of command is a very valuable capability and one that as an Aussie would like to see the ADF look at too.

My opinion aside, Is this a good or bad thing? I may have recently posted onto solomons SNAFU blog in regards to the future ACV and USMC squad sizes and set him off just a smidge

SNAFU!: USMC experimenting with Squad configuration. They're wrecking the ACV plan before its even selected!

Regards, vonnoobie.
Just smudge you reckon more like foaming at the mouth, why would anyone want to comment if some say thing they don't agree with.

With only having been in second line transport and not at the coal face, I can see the benifits of a small uav cam copter or similar of such being of value for an quick eye in the sky over you location for a better appretiontion over the Immediate battlefield.but they have to be very robust as they would most certantly get knocked around a it, I reading some time ago can't remember where or who used it but they had something similar wasn't a cam copter looked like the length of a football and fly around dammed if I can remember where I saw that
t68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016   #3
Private
Threads:
US Marine corps. amphibious assault vehicle to get upgrades.

The final test models of the upgraded AAVP-7 amphibious assault vehicle will soon be delivered to the US Marine Corps. The upgrades are being carried out by the Science Applications International Corp. (SAIC), and a whole new model expected in the coming year.

US Marine corps. amphibious assault vehicle to get upgrades
Mig-29M2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016   #4
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by t68 View Post
Just smudge you reckon more like foaming at the mouth, why would anyone want to comment if some say thing they don't agree with.

With only having been in second line transport and not at the coal face, I can see the benifits of a small uav cam copter or similar of such being of value for an quick eye in the sky over you location for a better appretiontion over the Immediate battlefield.but they have to be very robust as they would most certantly get knocked around a it, I reading some time ago can't remember where or who used it but they had something similar wasn't a cam copter looked like the length of a football and fly around dammed if I can remember where I saw that
But it means 3 per platoon and that's quite a lot. Not only expensive, but how easy will it be for NCOs already directing 12 other marines in combat to also process and make use of this much live video feed. I can see the UAV operator becoming a regular riflemen with the UAV only seeing niche use in a few situations. Or possible one UAV per platoon being used regularly and the other two essentially being backups. I mean if it was my platoon, I'd say yes, all for it, I get 3 more bodies, and UAVs, that's great. But is it the best use of resources?

EDIT: Some more thoughts, I think it might be better to have a company-level UAV section that's attached to headquarters platoon (yes I know that's not supposed to be a thing, but come on they actually do exist). They could be used the same way weapons platoons are used, where they can be deployed together to provide extensive coverage or tasked out to platoons. Maybe have a section of 3 UAV teams, each with two operators and team leader. It would give you maximum flexibility, and the company level is rather close, so the UAVs would still be readily available.
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017   #5
General
Threads:
Bell Boeing are developing a RO/RO aerial refueling capability for the USMC MV-22 Osprey, however they are taking the attitude with the MV-22 that everything is an option. They are also looking at an AEW capability, amongst others, as well which may be of interest to the USN because they apparently no longer have that capability. Both these capability sets may also be of interest to other navies such as the JMSDF, ROKN and I would have thought the RN but apparently they are taking the paring knife to the RM in order to save the RN by cutting costs. Outside chance could interest the RAN. Personally I have thought that the MV-22 would be the better platform for ship based AEW rather than a helicopter, because it offers greater range, speed and altitude.
Old March 31st, 2017   #6
Private
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngatimozart View Post
Bell Boeing are developing a RO/RO aerial refueling capability for the USMC MV-22 Osprey, however they are taking the attitude with the MV-22 that everything is an option. They are also looking at an AEW capability, amongst others, as well which may be of interest to the USN because they apparently no longer have that capability. Both these capability sets may also be of interest to other navies such as the JMSDF, ROKN and I would have thought the RN but apparently they are taking the paring knife to the RM in order to save the RN by cutting costs. Outside chance could interest the RAN. Personally I have thought that the MV-22 would be the better platform for ship based AEW rather than a helicopter, because it offers greater range, speed and altitude.
I do recall also hearing about an ASW variant of the Osprey to fly off of the navy's flattops. The military also conducted self-funded tests of mounting a hydra rocket pods on the nose cheeks of the Osprey. I'm not sure how those two materialized, however, as it was a while ago. The platform does seem to be seeing a lot of consideration for a lot of different roles and capabilities.
Blue Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017   #7
General
Threads:
The USMC and US Army are testing the ability of suppressed rifles and machineguns (up to and including the M2 HB BMG) being standard issue for infantry. Apparently the suppressors cost around US$700 each so it would be expensive to kit out full battalions. Also they are testing to see how long the suppressors last ; apparently 1,500 -2,000 rounds is the average lifetime at the moment.
The new stealth infantry: How suppressors will change battlefield tactics
Old June 27th, 2017   #8
Defense Aficionado
Major General
No Avatar
Threads:
Thanks! That was very interesting reading.

In 'Fry The Brain: The Art of Urban Sniping and Its Role In Modern Guerrilla Warfare '' John West also mentions the possibility of equipping infantrymen [not just snipes and marksmen] with suppressors. He doesn't however look at the possibility of also fitting suppressors to GPMGs and HMGs as the USMC is doing.
STURM is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: