U.S. Join another countries Army?

W1ngz

I'm a U.S. citizen. I'm wanting to know if there's any hope for me in joining any sort of military. I've tried all branches in the U.S. and have been turned down due to juvenile charges. I'm a soldier at heart and that's all I've ever wanted. If anyone knows anything some help would be cool. Thanks. P.S. I'm not some sort of traitor or anything, I'm a fighter and will gladly give my life for a cause. The U.S. just won't take me.

First post, will probably decide if it's my last.

Jack Johnson

I'm a U.S. citizen. I'm wanting to know if there's any hope for me in joining any sort of military. I've tried all branches in the U.S. and have been turned down due to juvenile charges. I'm a soldier at heart and that's all I've ever wanted. If anyone knows anything some help would be cool. Thanks. P.S. I'm not some sort of traitor or anything, I'm a fighter and will gladly give my life for a cause. The U.S. just won't take me.

First post, will probably decide if it's my last.
Well there is always the french foreign legion. They do take nearly everybody, no questions asked, as long as you pass their tests.

The german army was at least very recently quite unconcerned about foreigners, as long as they aquired the german citizienship somehow. I remember many russians who came to germany served in the army, without even speaking the language properly.

But of course, they are both in europe, and even in the german army youd have to learn a new language. So the most "easy" one would be the canadian, followed by the british and australian.

The british army is very open for foreigners, as long as they come from on of their commonwealths states, but unfortunatly you dont. I dont know nothing about the canadian or australian army.

GermanHerman

The german army was at least very recently quite unconcerned about foreigners, as long as they aquired the german citizienship somehow. I remember many russians who came to germany served in the army, without even speaking the language properly.
Yes, the bundeswehr is still very open to imigrants, but what's about for example DynCorp etc.?
Have you concerned to hire at a company instead of an regular army?

Jack Johnson

Yes, the bundeswehr is still very open to imigrants, but what's about for example DynCorp etc.?
Have you concerned to hire at a company instead of an regular army?
Remember his charges. I mean not even the army would take him. I know the 70ths where you could walk with a needle in your arm into a recruitment office and still apply are over, but they tend to take what they can get.

So a PMC might be a problem, despite what the media tells us they arent ruthless mercenaries who dont care for ones background, their just business firms, and as such a criminal history is going to be a problem.

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
I dont know nothing about the canadian or australian army.
For the Australan Army you have to be or be willing to become an Australian permanent resident and later citizen as quickly as possible.

You might want to look into the effect that joining a foreign military would have on your american citizenship as well. I've heard a story on another forum that makes me think there could be issues on that front.

@ Jack, what are the entry requirements for the french foreign legion?

Jack Johnson

@ Jack, what are the entry requirements for the french foreign legion?
Well as far as I know, you must have basic knowledge in the french language, and pass their psychological and physical tests which take several weeks. The tests are quite difficult compared to the standart army ones. I once heard someone mention they are slightly more demanding than the ones the USMC have.

EDIT: Forgot one important thing: They might ask about a criminal history, and Wingz should tell the truth. It wont affect his recruitment, but the possiblity to get a fake identity (which every legionair has) will be denied, as long as the charges are very serious.

W1ngz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the reply's. I will move if need be being that I'm so serious about being a soldier that life is pointless without it. My charges consist of about 11 misdemeanors. The 2 most serious being battery on a person in a detained facility and attempted assault on a elected school official. I also have several violations of probation. All of which happened between the ages of 11 and 14.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
You might want to look into the effect that joining a foreign military would have on your american citizenship as well. I've heard a story on another forum that makes me think there could be issues on that front.
That is correct, service in a foreign military is one of the grounds for loss of US citizenship. For that matter, so is an oath of office or allegience to a foreign country/power and even the oaths customarily required for (foreign) security clearances could cause problems in terms of maintaining US citizenship.

While there is the potential for some "wiggle room", the only circumstance I am aware of where it might cause significant problems if someone was a dual-citizen of the US and some foreign nation which had mandatory national service. In such circumstances, if the nation is considered friendly to the US, it might not cause problems. Unless there is no concern about a loss of US citizenship, I would strongly recommend checking with the US State Dept before proceeding further.

-Cheers

citizen578

Surely the French Foreign Legion is the obvious one.

I believe they accept anyone, from any country, provided they've not committed ''blood crimes'' (e.g murder/rape).

Add to that the fact the the FFL is a world-renowned elite fighting force, it ticks the boxes.

W1ngz

Surely the French Foreign Legion is the obvious one.

I believe they accept anyone, from any country, provided they've not committed ''blood crimes'' (e.g murder/rape).

Add to that the fact the the FFL is a world-renowned elite fighting force, it ticks the boxes.
I read above you have to speak French, is this true?

citizen578

No. The little that you do have to know is taught to you (eg drill commands). Lots of legionairres go their careers without learning French. A large portion are English-speaking anyway.
If the US military is a dead end, I'd strongly suggest researching the FFL. There's plenty of books, websites, documentaries etc which would give you a good insight. Certainly not for the faint-hearted though.

Jack Johnson

Thanks for all the reply's. I will move if need be being that I'm so serious about being a soldier that life is pointless without it. My charges consist of about 11 misdemeanors. The 2 most serious being battery on a person in a detained facility and attempted assault on a elected school official. I also have several violations of probation. All of which happened between the ages of 11 and 14.
Hm between 11 and 14....didnt know the US Army where so strick. The German Army wouldnt mind, a german friend (he was born in bulgaria, so there you go) also had some issues in his youth conerning theft etc, and he was accepted. But he is with the medics, dont know if this makes a difference.

I read above you have to speak French, is this true?
You can trust me on that. Not fluently, but the basic stuff. And dont worry, you will be surrounded by foreigners who all are going through the same as you, you will be constantly "learning by doing", and after a year or so you should be fine.

No. The little that you do have to know is taught to you (eg drill commands). Lots of legionairres go their careers without learning French. A large portion are English-speaking anyway.
He must know the very basics. Of course he is getting tought the military drills, I mean how should he know, but if he just knows "Oui" or "Non" its going to be a problem. Officialy they might say they will teach the necessary stuff, but he has an advantage during the selection phase if he speaks some french.

W1ngz

If the US military is a dead end, I'd strongly suggest researching the FFL. There's plenty of books, websites, documentaries etc which would give you a good insight. Certainly not for the faint-hearted though.
Started doing research on everything as soon as it was suggested, narrowed it down to Canadian Army and FFL. The FFL seems easier to get into. I'm not worried about physical or mental tests. As long as they say I can join if I do this_____ Then I'm joining. I've got more heart than cupid and more courage than a loin. If it can be done then it's considered done. I have so much heart, drive, and willpower that if it's not given a direction it will kill me.

Thank you all for the comments, like I said first post will determine if it's the last, and this will not be the last.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The German Army wouldnt mind
Eh, that depends a lot on the individual. If a punishment for battery occured, they'll want to see the files. If they don't get the files from across the pond, they'll be... vary to say the least.

They'll want to see the files (or rather: will request the files from other authorities) for the following list of crimes, if you've been sentenced for them:

- disturbance of public peace (Landfriedensbruch)
- distribution or usage of symbols and media of banned unconstitutional organizations (nazis, neonazis & communists)
- forming or being a member of an armed gang, a criminal organization or a terrorist organization
- public hate speeches (Volksverhetzung)
- violation of Index rules for extremely violent media (distributing such banned media to minors, advertising them or showing them in public)
- battery (in any form)
- participation in violent brawls

Theft isn't relevant. Neither is substance abuse, but they'll test you for that anyway.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Think about security? There may be some middle ground, do these charges prohibit foreign travel? Most countries wipe juvi records clean.. If ok there is merc type experiences and money to be had if your not picky where you go. Blackwater? African oil security?

German army last time I checked doesn't pay big bucks. Its a conscript army so don't expect army wages. German citizenship isn't super easy to get anymore even with ancestory.

Legionairs would proberly get you. But honestly thats a pretty intense experience.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
While it is right that our conscripts are screwed the professionals earn enough.

When starting as a recruit one gets 1470 € net salary a month. Can be more for married people and people with children. And one gets a lot more during deployment.

Compared to other jobs you get with after the minimum of 9 years of school that's alot.

Last edited:

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
He means salary, not loan, just for clarification ;)

(it's not a Lohn in German either btw, it's Sold... there's a couple differences)

T.C.P

You could think about signing up for the British Royal Marine Commandos. They take about any body if you can pass their tests. There is a TV show named Royal marine commandos. They air it on Fox History and entertainment. There they video new recruits through out their training. There was one guy from the states who was on vacation to the UK got excited after seeing a poster about marine recruitment(yep its true) and decided to try and they allowed him to. I dont think it caused any problems for his American citizen ship.

But boy where their training regiments tough. Being a small force the Marine commandos take only the best so if you think you are up for it then you can try there.