Tactical Transportation Design Advice

CovUniGroup

Hello

Speaking on behalf of the group, we are a student based team from Coventry University studying Automotive and Transport Design and are currently working on a vehicle to replace the current British Snatch2. Any feedback on general vehicles of this platform would be appreciated, preferably from experience.

Still on the early stages and so the vehicle does not have a specific size or platform at the moment.

Any advice on the current issues would help shape the outcome and will update and upload the design as it progresses as a thank you!

Thanks in advance.

willur

Hello

Speaking on behalf of the group, we are a student based team from Coventry University studying Automotive and Transport Design and are currently working on a vehicle to replace the current British Snatch2. Any feedback on general vehicles of this platform would be appreciated, preferably from experience.

Still on the early stages and so the vehicle does not have a specific size or platform at the moment.

Any advice on the current issues would help shape the outcome and will update and upload the design as it progresses as a thank you!

Thanks in advance.
my opinion for any platform would be your white papers, then look at mission capabilites via addon packs to change the vehicle's primary mission.
not one vehicle will be the best at everything but if the base design can do alot well then addon mission packs enhance strengths and reduce/control weakness.
sooner than later a new design platform will have to be attained as using a landrover as a chassis is almost at its max in terms of loading, although for a light weight vehicle it is alot better than some.
If the replacement vehicle is for something like the snatch I would look at a few things.
1/road weight
2/acceleration and turning cirlce
as your road wieght will determine immediatly your base protection.

harryriedl

Verified Defense Pro
The problem I see with the eventual replacement is that one of the primary funtions of the Snatch I still believe is a Utility and Liaison role which donsn't require armor V hulls and a massive truck chassis and great expense.

You also have to be aware that UOR MRAPS and others have replaced the snatch on many of its most dangerous roles. But arn't used all the time due size look (a land rover is a lot less threatening looking than Mastiff) and commanders find uses for what is effectively a 1/2 ton which makes transporting much easier than heavier desgines .

so if you looking for a replacement it helpful to see what other armies are planning such as USA has huge MRAP programs but still has a huge fleet of Humvees in areas were their is no combat like CONUS and Germany and Korea. Even in Iraq there a few thousand same in A-Stan.

In my opinion you would struggle to find anything that was significantly better at a similar price. There's Humvee, G-Class's, and a load of others in the similar bracket of small car bases desgines. As I imagine going into truck based would be too expensive to be rolled out fleet wide.

CovUniGroup

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Firstly thank you for the replies.

They will be discussed in detail at tomorrows team meeting.

Just to clear something up, the design will start from the ground up. Meaning we are designing a new chassis altogether and working inside out. Aesthetics take a back seat, however it will look great.

Any ergonomics issues would be nice as well, ie. if there's an issue with the seats or embarking/disembarking.

Thanks, keep the comments coming and like i said we will update our project as we go!