Special Forces Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragoon95

Banned Member
This is my first thread so please correct me if I do something wrong.

I have been looking for some time at the equipment various American Special Forces use but have come up with little. Specifically I'm looking for the clothing they wear/use as well as their tactical vests and helmets.

BlackHawk is the only company I can find that makes similar gear but I don't know if the Special Forces units use their gear.

In terms of Tactical vests the only ones I can find are SFLCS (Special Forces Load Carrying System), RLCS (Ranger Load Carrying System) and Eagle Industries SOFBAV Aero Assault but I am not sure which one is predominantly used.

Aidan110

For the clothing side of things you should look into Crye combat pants and shirts. They are fairly expensive. As I recall it the pants are around $200.00. Generally most of the gear issued is from Eagle Industries. A lot of guys tend to run their personal gear.

Also a lot of guys are getting into the Crye jumpable plate carrier now as well.

Dragoon95

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For the clothing side of things you should look into Crye combat pants and shirts. They are fairly expensive. As I recall it the pants are around $200.00. Generally most of the gear issued is from Eagle Industries. A lot of guys tend to run their personal gear.

Also a lot of guys are getting into the Crye jumpable plate carrier now as well.
Thanks for the Information.

I'm currently working on a fictional Special Forces book and I just wanted to get a general idea for the gear they have.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the Information.

I'm currently working on a fictional Special Forces book and I just wanted to get a general idea for the gear they have.
My advice would be to concentrate on the narrative, not the specific brands of gear and clothing etc that special forces use. If you're writing fiction then it's not necessary at all to go in-depth with brand names of gear/weapons, and in some cases doing so can really alter the flow of the narrative, for the worst.

Just keep your descriptions consistent within the narrative and concentrate on what the story needs, not things like the clothing brands of a given special forces unit. All this is my opinion of course, but do think about it.

Dragoon95

Banned Member
My advice would be to concentrate on the narrative, not the specific brands of gear and clothing etc that special forces use. If you're writing fiction then it's not necessary at all to go in-depth with brand names of gear/weapons, and in some cases doing so can really alter the flow of the narrative, for the worst.

Just keep your descriptions consistent within the narrative and concentrate on what the story needs, not things like the clothing brands of a given special forces unit. All this is my opinion of course, but do think about it.
Don't worry I'm not going into the gear. I just needed an overall idea for American Special Forces gear becuase it's completely different to the likes of the SAS who wear combat fatigues and Bergens. I don't think I've ever seen a Navy SEAL of Delta soldier with a pack larger than that of average school backpack.
And there aren't that many sources out there on the gear!

Thanks for the advice! It's very useful.

Aidan110

Ask away if you have questions. Recent experience as of 1 month ago.

I can tell you that the pack size that you referred to directly relates to the mission. Why bring a huge rucksack if you are only planning on being gone a few hours?

To give you an idea, a basic issue of gear to a regular soldier will include 3 different sized rucksacks now. When you get into the special operations arena that number will balloon up to 5-6. Again all mission dependant.

Cadredave

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Don't worry I'm not going into the gear. I just needed an overall idea for American Special Forces gear becuase it's completely different to the likes of the SAS who wear combat fatigues and Bergens. I don't think I've ever seen a Navy SEAL of Delta soldier with a pack larger than that of average school backpack.
And there aren't that many sources out there on the gear!

Thanks for the advice! It's very useful.
That's because you never will hear about those missions, what makes you think the SAS wear gear that's different to there counter parts in the US Forces, have a closer look and your be surprised it is MISSION dependant.

STURM

What is the American equivalant term for what the British would call 'bergan', is it 'pack' or rucksack'? Do the Australians and New Zealanders use the term 'bergan'?

FormerDirtDart

What is the American equivalant term for what the British would call 'bergan', is it 'pack' or rucksack'? Do the Australians and New Zealanders use the term 'bergan'?
"Ruck" or "rucksack" would be the American equivalent.
or, the great green tick stuck to one's back, forever sucking the life force from you.

Dragoon95

Banned Member
To this day I still don't know if Bergen is a brand name of just a slang term.

In New Zealand the soldiers I have met refer to them as 'packs'. Some of them say Bergen when they are talking about it more formally but they are more likely to say "Go get your pack" instead of "Go get your bergen".

As for the American term I would go with 'pack'.

Dragoon95

Banned Member
That's because you never will hear about those missions, what makes you think the SAS wear gear that's different to there counter parts in the US Forces, have a closer look and your be surprised it is MISSION dependant.
I know it's mission dependant, you're obviously not going to wear the gear you have for a week long reconnaissance mission during a hostage situation. I'm just saying you sometimes see American Special Forces in civilian clothes while the SAS tend to stick to combat gear.

STURM

To this day I still don't know if Bergen is a brand name of just a slang term.
Its not a brand name, it is just a common term used, but it has been officially used to designate products, e.g Artic bergen [pictured below on the left ] and the PLCE bergen [pictured below on the right] - both made by companies which were not called 'Bergen'. Why and how the term was used remains a mystery; some have suggested that Royal Marines training in Bergen were the first to start using the term. Another mystery is the British 'Norwegian' thermal shirt.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I'm just saying you sometimes see American Special Forces in civilian clothes while the SAS tend to stick to combat gear.
nope, as cadredave said - it's mission driven

I've seen SAS/SASR/NZSAS in "alternative" clothing - ditto and vice versa for SOCOM operators

Cadredave

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I know it's mission dependant, you're obviously not going to wear the gear you have for a week long reconnaissance mission during a hostage situation.
Now your confusing two very different roles, LRP missions sets are classed as green role in the NZ Army, CRW (Hostage) is classed as black role two very different roles carried out by two very different Sabre Sqns.

I'm just saying you sometimes see American Special Forces in civilian clothes while the SAS tend to stick to combat gear.
And im informing you its mission driven, US are not the only ones who wear civvies NZSAS, SASR do as well totally dependant again on the mission.

PS we have never ever called our packs Bergen, it was either grab your FSMO or in 1RNZIR in Singapore was grab your Alice pack.

CD

Dragoon95

Banned Member
Now your confusing two very different roles, LRP missions sets are classed as green role in the NZ Army, CRW (Hostage) is classed as black role two very different roles carried out by two very different Sabre Sqns.

And im informing you its mission driven, US are not the only ones who wear civvies NZSAS, SASR do as well totally dependant again on the mission.

PS we have never ever called our packs Bergen, it was either grab your FSMO or in 1RNZIR in Singapore was grab your Alice pack.

CD
Thanks for the Information that helps me greatly! And I know different Sabre Sqns. do different jobs but thats talking SAS. However I do know I was talking about the SAS when I said that.

Some American Special Forces Units do both roles however.

Dragoon95

Banned Member
nope, as cadredave said - it's mission driven

I've seen SAS/SASR/NZSAS in "alternative" clothing - ditto and vice versa for SOCOM operators
Thanks. I've seen plenty of SOCOM operators in combat gear but I've only ever seen SAS in suits for VIP work. This will help a lot.

STURM

The SBS chaps shown in this video - taken during the Qala-i-Jangi breakout - were wearing civilian clothes.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amV0kMEKXU4"]SBS In Afghanistan - www.eliteukforces.info - YouTube[/nomedia]

Cadredave

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The kiwis also use MP's for CPP
They are first call for CPP over the boys in Pap do believe the Commandoes are making in roads which is making the RNZMP worry hence all the photo shoots in the Army News lately of CPP courses being conducted

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Thanks. I've seen plenty of SOCOM operators in combat gear but I've only ever seen SAS in suits for VIP work. This will help a lot.
you need to define clothing etc as well

"suits" refers to something very different to operators (uniforms) on the job in "non issued" clothing

Status
Not open for further replies.