South Korea launches Amphibious Tank XK2

SATAN

Korea's first domestically-made amphibious tank, featuring an auto-loaded 120mm cannon, rolled off the assembly line in Changwon, Friday (March 2).

The next-generation tank, code named "XK2" and nicknamed "Black Panther," will replace the older K1 and American M47/48 tanks starting in 2011, defense officials said.

The new model features an auto-loaded 120 mm cannon, can reach speeds of up to 70 km per hour, and can cross rivers as deep as 4.1 meters using a snorkel, according to its developer, the Agency for Defense Development (ADD).

At the launch ceremony for the tank, President Roh Moo-hyun stressed that Korea's development of a top-tier weapon such as the XK2 with its own technology testifies to the country's defense capability.

"The development of the world's top-level tank--in both mobility and firepower--with our own technology shows the world our commitment to self-defense," Roh said during the ceremony held at the ADD facilities in Changwon, Gyeongsang nam-do (South Gyeongsang Province).

Korea plans to commission the tank after preparations for mass production.

It also aims to export the tanks with the price tag of US$8.5 million per unit, with an adjustment for inflation.

SATAN

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Korea's first domestically-made amphibious tank, featuring an auto-loaded 120mm cannon, rolled off the assembly line in Changwon, Friday (March 2).

The next-generation tank, code named "XK2" and nicknamed "Black Panther," will replace the older K1 and American M47/48 tanks starting in 2011, defense officials said.

The new model features an auto-loaded 120 mm cannon, can reach speeds of up to 70 km per hour, and can cross rivers as deep as 4.1 meters using a snorkel, according to its developer, the Agency for Defense Development (ADD).

At the launch ceremony for the tank, President Roh Moo-hyun stressed that Korea's development of a top-tier weapon such as the XK2 with its own technology testifies to the country's defense capability.

"The development of the world's top-level tank--in both mobility and firepower--with our own technology shows the world our commitment to self-defense," Roh said during the ceremony held at the ADD facilities in Changwon, Gyeongsang nam-do (South Gyeongsang Province).

Korea plans to commission the tank after preparations for mass production.

It also aims to export the tanks with the price tag of US$8.5 million per unit, with an adjustment for inflation.

TrangleC

The use of a snorkel is enough for a tank to qualify as amphibious? Aren't most MBTs nowadays snorkel-compatible?

Manfred

If you are aproaching a beach in heavy surf, a snorkel would be a great thing to have; keeps the water out of the air intakes!

Are there any pictures?

SATAN

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you are aproaching a beach in heavy surf, a snorkel would be a great thing to have; keeps the water out of the air intakes!
Are there any pictures?

True, but it seems this tank is more suited for use in rivers or shallow lakes. I cant find any pictures yet but heres another article from AFP.com

S Korea unveils ‘underwater’ tank
SEOUL: South Korea on Friday unveiled what it calls the world’s best tank, capable of fording shallow rivers, defending itself against missiles and firing “smart” projectiles.

The XK2 Black Panther is a main battle tank of “the highest technical level all over the world,” said its developer, the state-run Agency for Defence Development.

Key features include an active defence system against incoming missiles and aircraft, automatic tracking and ammunition loading systems, an active suspension unit and high underwater manoeuvrability.

“We have stolen a march over other developed countries in developing ground weaponry. The Black Panther proves it,” agency president Ahn Dong-Mahn told journalists. Kim Eui-Hwan, the official in charge of the project, said the Black Panther has “more superb capabilities than any other existing tank.” afp

TrangleC

Funny. They make it sound as if a tank-snorkel would be something new.
I never heard any of the other tanks with that feature/ability being called a "underwater tank", hehe.

The quoted articles sound as if the Koreans would be aiming at the export market, but i doubt whether they will ever sell many of those tanks. The market is flooded with much cheaper russian and european tanks and there seems to be a trend of former potential customers like India, Pakistan or Turkey developing their own national tanks, so the market is shrinking.
Look at the japanese Type-90 tank. As far as i know it was developed together with the people who developed the Leopard 2 (which is easy to see), but it's more advanced (auto loader) and expensive and so they never sold any of them to customers outside Japan while the cheaper Leo 2 is the best selling non-russian tank in the world.
I wager that when the time has come for all the armies that recently bought variants of the T-80, T-90, Leo 2 or M1 to replace them, there will already be more advanced alternatives to the XK2. Besides the fact that more and more countries which could afford a expensive high tech tank, will develop their own one, so the international market for tanks will shift even more towards demand for cheap tanks that can be afforded by developing countries, i guess.

Besides, i thought the south korean M1K1 is relatively new (for a tank design which usually stays relatively "fresh" for 3 decades). Why did they need a new one already?

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I never heard any of the other tanks with that feature/ability being called a "underwater tank", hehe.

The quoted articles sound as if the Koreans would be aiming at the export market, but i doubt whether they will ever sell many of those tanks. The market is flooded with much cheaper russian and european tanks and there seems to be a trend of former potential customers like India, Pakistan or Turkey developing their own national tanks, so the market is shrinking.
Look at the japanese Type-90 tank. As far as i know it was developed together with the people who developed the Leopard 2 (which is easy to see), but it's more advanced (auto loader) and expensive and so they never sold any of them to customers outside Japan while the cheaper Leo 2 is the best selling non-russian tank in the world.
I wager that when the time has come for all the armies that recently bought variants of the T-80, T-90, Leo 2 or M1 to replace them, there will already be more advanced alternatives to the XK2. Besides the fact that more and more countries which could afford a expensive high tech tank, will develop their own one, so the international market for tanks will shift even more towards demand for cheap tanks that can be afforded by developing countries, i guess.

Besides, i thought the south korean M1K1 is relatively new (for a tank design which usually stays relatively "fresh" for 3 decades). Why did they need a new one already?
It is just a main battle tank capable of crossing streams which is a major issue in South Korea. It is funny I keep hearing of a roll out date of 2011 and from what I am hearing they havent even decided to accept it as of yet. The tank does use alot of influence of other tank designs that are out there.
The K1A1 has been around for quite awhile now, and you are right, what is the mad dash to get it replaced, the threat is just not there looking at what North Korea or China has at the present moment and this is what is being taken into account with the experimental XK2. Please do not get me wrong, this is not a biased opinion in-regards to South Korea and I am avid supporter of their capabilities in designing new weapons platforms and if they roll out the XK2 I will be cheering them on.

rrrtx

Japan has legal restrictions in place that prevent it from exporting weaponry.

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
Big shell pocket ain't it?

I too do not understand the rush to roll out a new design when the K1A1 is more than sufficient to counter anything operated by N.Korea. It's not about obtaining the most advanced piece of equipment, but rather one that suits you.

rickshaw

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Another factor telling against the sale of either South Korean or Japanese designed tanks to other nations is that they are designed with the smaller-statue Asian soldier in mind. This makes it nearly impossible for the average European to work in them. The Taiwanese fighter, the Chung-Kao (I think that is it's name) cockpit is the same.

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
Another factor telling against the sale of either South Korean or Japanese designed tanks to other nations is that they are designed with the smaller-statue Asian soldier in mind. This makes it nearly impossible for the average European to work in them. The Taiwanese fighter, the Chung-Kao (I think that is it's name) cockpit is the same.
I actually don't think that's too much of a problem since the average height of people in those countries has increased considerably due to better nutrition in recent years. On average they stand around 5'7" to 5'8", only about 1 or 2 inches shorter than the average European.

rickshaw

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I actually don't think that's too much of a problem since the average height of people in those countries has increased considerably due to better nutrition in recent years. On average they stand around 5'7" to 5'8", only about 1 or 2 inches shorter than the average European.
This would explain why the K1 is smaller than the M1 would it?

TrangleC

Hehehe, i think the size of the crew members is the least important factor that determines the all over size of a tank.

I don't know much about the K1, but doesn't it just have a lower turret than the M1?

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Hehehe, i think the size of the crew members is the least important factor that determines the all over size of a tank.

I don't know much about the K1, but doesn't it just have a lower turret than the M1?
I have been inside of a K1A1, and yes the turret is a little bit smaller versus a M1A1 but I had no issues prying my 6.1ft carcass inside of one. Try getting inside of a T-72 or T-80, that`s a tight fit.

Manfred

You guys confused me when you started talking about an amphibious tank with a 120mm gun, and then talked about a snorkel.
Too me, an amphibian can float. Snorkels allow a main battle tank to travel underwater for short distances, and the idea goes back to WW2.

The Tank itself looks great, and is a great credit to S. Korean industry. Not many nations can produce a machine like that.

The suspension was the most interesting part of the demo film. A vehicle like this could be modified in such a way to revive the Assault-Artillery concept.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
You guys confused me when you started talking about an amphibious tank with a 120mm gun, and then talked about a snorkel.
Too me, an amphibian can float. Snorkels allow a main battle tank to travel underwater for short distances, and the idea goes back to WW2.

The Tank itself looks great, and is a great credit to S. Korean industry. Not many nations can produce a machine like that.

The suspension was the most interesting part of the demo film. A vehicle like this could be modified in such a way to revive the Assault-Artillery concept.
It does have a suspension that the driver is capable or adjusting while in a hull down position, rather useful considering the terrian in that neck of the world, Japan`s Type 90 can be adjusted also.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Very nice.
You are right when stating that the suspension systems seems to be a really lovely toy. :)

The snorkel thing is indeed nothing spectacular.

TrangleC

Yes, that was my point. When i hear "amphibious tank" i think of something like the AAVP and not a normal MBT with a snorkel like almost all MBTs use it since a long time.

Is the suspension system really that useful? After all the old STRV-103 had that already (http://baike.baidu.com/pic/52/1159520749627313.jpg) and noone ever considered it worth copying in any tank design that came afterwards... till now or till the Type-90 if that one has this feature too.

Maybe to some extend tank designers that are operating within a tradition going back to WW2 shy away from "going too advanced" because everybody still has it in the back of the head how the rather simple but tough russian tanks in the end proved to be better than the more advanced but problem haunted german tanks. Best example are the overlaping wheels of the Tiger 1. They were a good idea on the drawing board because they provided a very stable platform for the gun, but they froze together in winter and because a lot of mudd virtually glued them together, the engine had to work much harder than it would have had to with normal wheels, which was a big problem for the already underpowered machine and increased the probability of overheating besides increasing the fuel consumption unnessesarily.
Especially the development of the Leopard 1, which in some way was the first one of that new generation of MBTs (you know, the first one that was definitely rather designed to be a agile predator than a rolling fortification) was especially influenced by WW2 experiences and memories. The premise was to achieve a maximum performance and reliability combined with a minimum of maintenance and a optimized "in-field-repairability" (fast exchangeable engine aso.). I think the big success of the Leopard 2 comes mainly from sticking with this principles (for example by using the reliable, traditional multi-fuel diesel engine instead of a more complicated gas turbine).
They didn't just develop a high tech tank out of the blue like the French did for example, but deliberately avoided the mistakes the german engineers in WW2 made and only then thought about how new technologies could be combined with that experiences.

I think that "better go simple and reliable"-attitude is one of the reasons why the Leo, the Abrams and the Challenger still got no automatic loader.

What i want to say with all this is that i could imagine "western" tank designers might shy away from using such fancy suspension systems because it feels a bit like one of those ideas that look good on paper but tend to cause problems in practise.
Of course it doesn't have to be unreliable, but usually you can assume that the more complicated a system is, the more liable it is to malfunctions, the more maintance it needs and the harder it is to repair. A advanced and complicated hydraulic system would certainly suffer more mobility kills from mines, if confronted with such, than the oldfashioned suspension systems that are used in most MBTs today, i wager.

@ rrrtx:
Are the restrictions that hard that they can't sell anything? Germany has pretty harsh restrictions too and still sells tanks and ships to certain customers.

Last edited: