Russia getting 'new' tank support vehicles

Preceptor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Merged Russian "new tank" and "new tank support vehicle" threads due to similarity of discussion.
-Preceptor

noseeum

I've seen that BMPT before. Interesting enough. It looks like a modified T72, which makes sense if you're going to have a bunch of them lying around in the near future. Similar to BMD in the forward weapons ports...I could be wrong but that is what they look like to me. Russia has been toying with the BMT concept for awhile, but this is likely cheaper and easier. Doesn't Israel do something similar? Which is the primary sight for the gunner? It looks like there are some elements of an APS on there, too.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I've seen that BMPT before. Interesting enough. It looks like a modified T72, which makes sense if you're going to have a bunch of them lying around in the near future. Similar to BMD in the forward weapons ports...I could be wrong but that is what they look like to me. Russia has been toying with the BMT concept for awhile, but this is likely cheaper and easier. Doesn't Israel do something similar? Which is the primary sight for the gunner? It looks like there are some elements of an APS on there, too.
Yes it does have a T-72 hull.
Yes to the weapons ports, they use either grenade launchers or MGs.
Yes they can place APS systems on it.
Here is a photo with the gunners and commanders sights, either person can fire the weapons systems. I have also displayed a photo of a IDF Namer which is the vehicle that you are most likely making reference to, it is only armed with a 50 cal MG and most likely will not get anything bigger.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
IIRC I read some news about the IDF thinking about building also a weapons carrier version of the Namer (Something with an autocannon and ATGMs) which will play together with the troop carrier version.

Would make Israel moving closer to the idea of mechanized infantry like it is used in many NATO and former WarPac countries.

noseeum

I'm wondering what it would be used for. There is no shortage of BMPs, BTRs, or BMDs. It's got to run double the weight. A heavy infantry carrier to accompany tanks? It has a weapons package that says it will be versatile. It does not look like a replacement for those above. Russia has a habit of maintaining a few formations with the latest equipment. Was it purpose built or just inspired and now looking for a mission? I suspect the latter.

Wait. That turret. In the picture from eckherl I see the placement of the laser warning recievers and the mast. That's not a BMT at all. The turret is remote and why not the forward weapons stations as well. Crew of 2 could run it despite 5 hatches. It's augmentation, a weapons platform for support. Looks like it will be rough on helicopters.

Last edited:

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
IIRC I read some news about the IDF thinking about building also a weapons carrier version of the Namer (Something with an autocannon and ATGMs) which will play together with the troop carrier version.

Would make Israel moving closer to the idea of mechanized infantry like it is used in many NATO and former WarPac countries.
There has been extensive testing with a auto cannon and ATGMs on the Namer, so you may be correct in the fact that there could be a change brewing within the IDF that there is the occasion that a IFV may have to fight independantly from tanks, which would be a change from their doctrine. They have tested/evaluated with a auto cannon on a M113 with some setups being issued.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I'm wondering what it would be used for. There is no shortage of BMPs, BTRs, or BMDs. It's got to run double the weight. A heavy infantry carrier to accompany tanks? It has a weapons package that says it will be versatile. It does not look like a replacement for those above. Russia has a habit of maintaining a few formations with the latest equipment. Was it purpose built or just inspired and now looking for a mission? I suspect the latter.

Wait. That turret. In the picture from eckherl I see the placement of the laser warning recievers and the mast. That's not a BMT at all. The turret is remote and why not the forward weapons stations as well. Crew of 2 could run it despite 5 hatches. It's augmentation, a weapons platform for support. Looks like it will be rough on helicopters.
They designed it specifically to fight in a urbanized setting due to the 2 chechen wars. and yes it does have some counter measures set up on the photo I posted. For the urbanized task I think it is a excellant vehicle. Heres a photo of a troop taxi.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
There has been extensive testing with a auto cannon and ATGMs on the Namer, so you may be correct in the fact that there could be a change brewing within the IDF that there is the occasion that a IFV may have to fight independantly from tanks, which would be a change from their doctrine. They have tested/evaluated with a auto cannon on a M113 with some setups being issued.
Not only that a mech inf unit might encounter enemy forces without tank support but these additional weaponry is also going to be usefull when working together with the tanks.

Up today the HAPCs of the IDF could do not much more than a little spray and pray with their .50 cals when conducting a mounted operation and hope for the Merks to take out or surpress enemy forces.
With such an additional fire support Namer the ability of a mixed force is going to have increased ability to touch enemies at longer ranges and while moving.

Maybe they looked at their Lebanon adventure and came to that conclusion.
There the HAPCs also were little more than additional targets when accompanying the Merks during their fast strikes into enemy territory.