Robo-Snipers, "Auto Kill Zones" to Protect Israeli Borders

dioditto

For years and years, the Israeli military has been trying to figure out a way to keep Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip from crossing over into Israel proper. The latest tactic: create a set of "automated kill zones" by networking together remote-controlled machine guns, ground sensors, and drones along the 60-kilometer border.

Defense News' Barbara Opall-Rome reports that "initial deployment plans for the See-Shoot system call for mounting a 0.5-caliber automated machine gun in each of several pillboxes interspersed along the Gaza border fence

http://blog.wired.com/defense/2007/06/for_years_and_y.html

Last edited by a moderator:

GeneralGuderian

Well, it will clear up some Isreali manpower. However I can see the day where a child goes in a zone, is killed, and Hamas has a fit over it, as well as the media.

Manfred

Hamas? I'm not caring what Hamas is saying anymore. And, since they use kids anyway, I'm not real worried about that either- they have played that card too many times.

Rich

Well, it will clear up some Isreali manpower. However I can see the day where a child goes in a zone, is killed, and Hamas has a fit over it, as well as the media.
"Having a fit" is a funny way to describe a terrorist organization that doesnt hesitate to strap bombs onto the bodies of children and send them to murder other children.

But I could see the rest of the world having a "fit" over the robo concept. Most of all the Europeans.

GeneralGuderian

"Having a fit" is a funny way to describe a terrorist organization that doesnt hesitate to strap bombs onto the bodies of children and send them to murder other children.

But I could see the rest of the world having a "fit" over the robo concept. Most of all the Europeans.
I meant them having a fit as in them using the system for propaganda purposes and such. I know the Western media doesn't much like how Hamas/ Hezbollag uses propaganda, but you know they will at least try to make a big deal out of it.

Rich

I meant them having a fit as in them using the system for propaganda purposes and such. I know the Western media doesn't much like how Hamas/ Hezbollag uses propaganda, but you know they will at least try to make a big deal out of it.

Ah yes. I see now. And a good point to be made, about propaganda that is.

funtz

Defense News' Barbara Opall-Rome reports that "initial deployment plans for the See-Shoot system call for mounting a 0.5-caliber automated machine gun in each of several pillboxes interspersed along the Gaza border fence
Excellent, even though this system might cost a lot of money the lives of the Israeli armed forces that will be saved more or less negates the costs.

As this system is
Connected via fiber optics to a remote operator station and a command-and-control center

There is still a human element involved, so they are not exactly robots with guns.

Last edited:

mattyem

interesting

Could be a next step in freeing up personnel for better use than sentry duty!

Im sure the human element is a must have otherwise things could just get out of control!

cheetah

You are right those dam Palestinians just wont die quietly. on the other hand palestinians can use satellite guided stones and hurt a some one in Israel.

cheetah

Hey Americans can always supply arms and fighter jets to Palestinians just like they supply to Israel iam sure given a choice and chance of a fair fight .but having a fair fight concept Israelis will have a ''FIT'' over the concept.

eaf-f16

Don't worry. The IDF doesn't need a "robo-sniper" to malfunction in order to kill Palestinian children.

The IDF's human snipers already do that. And on purpose too...

Read this article.

An Israeli army officer who repeatedly shot a 13-year-old Palestinian girl in Gaza dismissed a warning from another soldier that she was a child by saying he would have killed her even if she was three years old.

The officer...was charged this week with illegal use of his weapon, conduct unbecoming an officer and other relatively minor infractions after emptying all 10 bullets from his gun's magazine into Iman al-Hams when she walked into a "security area"...

A tape recording of radio exchanges between soldiers involved...contradicts the army's account of the events and appears to show that the captain shot the girl in cold blood.

The official [IDF] account claimed that Iman was shot as she walked towards an army post with her schoolbag because soldiers feared she was carrying a bomb.

But the tape recording of the radio conversation between soldiers at the scene reveals that, from the beginning, she was identified as a child and at no point was a bomb spoken about nor was she described as a threat. Iman was also at least 100 yards from any soldier.

Instead, the tape shows that the soldiers swiftly identified her as a "girl of about 10" who was "scared to death".
Here is the transcript of the radio recording.

Watchtower
'It's a little girl. She's running defensively eastward'
Operations room
'Are we talking about a girl under the age of 10?'
Watchtower
'A girl of about 10, she's behind the embankment, scared to death'
Captain R (after killing the girl)
'Anything moving in the zone, even a three-year-old, needs to be killed
Anyways, the US Army has automated "robo-killers" in Iraq that it won't use out of fear of killing soldiers or civilians by accident. IIRC, there was an accident in South Africa with automated anti-aircraft gun end with several soldiers dead and they couldn't stop it until it had run out of ammo. Such accidents will probably keep anything that kills in "automated" manner off the battle field for a while.

Last edited:

ROCK45

eaf-f16
Don't worry. The IDF doesn't need a "robo-sniper" to malfunction in order to kill Palestinian children.

The IDF's human snipers already do that. And on purpose too...

Read this article.
Quote:
An Israeli army officer who repeatedly shot a 13-year-old Palestinian girl in Gaza dismissed a warning from another soldier that she was a child by saying he would have killed her even if she was three years old.

The officer...was charged this week with illegal use of his weapon, conduct unbecoming an officer and other relatively minor infractions after emptying all 10 bullets from his gun's magazine into Iman al-Hams when she walked into a "security area"...

A tape recording of radio exchanges between soldiers involved...contradicts the army's account of the events and appears to show that the captain shot the girl in cold blood.

The official [IDF] account claimed that Iman was shot as she walked towards an army post with her schoolbag because soldiers feared she was carrying a bomb.

But the tape recording of the radio conversation between soldiers at the scene reveals that, from the beginning, she was identified as a child and at no point was a bomb spoken about nor was she described as a threat. Iman was also at least 100 yards from any soldier.

Instead, the tape shows that the soldiers swiftly identified her as a "girl of about 10" who was "scared to death".
It is a sad thing when a little ten year old girl is shot and killed. You fail to mention that other children have been used to carry out bombing attacks and that’s a sad fact. So is the guard supposed to do let her or somebody else in, in that situation?
I wasn’t there and didn’t see or know all the facts. What happens if she did have a bomb and those guards let her through and killed say kids at a pre-school or some horrible act like that?
If others or as you call them “proxy” groups didn’t send children, women, and others in the first place maybe there wouldn’t be the problem there is in the first place. The groups that send young people to their deaths are just as much the blame as the guards who shot this girl.
It’s just sad in the first place when little girls or other very young people are thrown away like useless disposable weapons for a cause. People actually tell others to kill themselves or send their young children while they live. The situation is so bad that parents actually do it and don’t realized there being used and don’t know any better.
In this case the soldier may have been wrong I don’t know but it’s because other bomber attacks happen like this is why this sad event happen. Don’t send the bombers and less sad events like this happens pretty simple or is that too black and white for you.

eaf-f16

It is a sad thing when a little ten year old girl is shot and killed. You fail to mention that other children have been used to carry out bombing attacks and that’s a sad fact.
Do you have source for that ever happening? That a child was sent to carry out a suicide bombing?

Give a credible source from a respectable international news agency not from an Israeli source. Such a story would surely gain sustained international news coverage.

Also, as you saw in that article, at no point in time during the whole incident was there ever a mention of a bomb. In fact, the Israelis even said she was defensively running towards an embankment scared to death.

IIRC, all instances with "children" were guys in their late teens. Not exactly a 10-year old girl.

The only other instance when an alleged "suicide bomber" was younger was an 11 year old kid who after being released said that the IDF had just arbitrarily arrested him so that they could tell the world that they were using child suicide-bombers. He said they wouldn't have let him out the very same day he was arrested if he was indeed carrying a suicide bomb.

Keep this in the context that the IDF is known to arrest kids caught with fireworks for weeks on end.

Last edited:

ROCK45

Source

eaf-f16
Do you have source for that ever happening? That a child was sent to carry out a suicide bombing?
I never said she was

I said
What happens if she did have a bomb and those guards let her through and killed say kids at a pre-school or some horrible act like that?

You throw crap out like this in the first place and make it sound the guards just go around killing kids because they have nothing else do. Kids and young people are used to carry bombs that's why this happen. She had a bag and a bomb could have been in it and/or the guard in this case might have a mistake, I don't know. Children and young adults are used so it's not like there just killing kids here, but that's how you make sound with your comment. People are sending them to their deaths from the "proxy side" as you call them but you make no mention of that I see in your come back. This is a two sided problem deal with it. Bad twisted people use these people and their kids and waste away their life's and you only see one side. There would be a lot less guards on the border if mainly outside people weren't sending these poor people to their deaths. I see in about three of these type posts that you never respond to "proxy folk" comments. I see you can't deal with at least one side of the problem. It's just easier blaming one or the other side all the time.

DavidDCM

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Uhm, ROCK, did you actually read the article? The soldier was punished for his actions by an Israeli court. It was wrong what he did, his comrades said that and a judge confirmed that. Your try to justify his murder is just bullshìt.

ROCK45

Guards

No I'm not I'm not justify the murder and should be punish for his crime. Sorry for my poor writing I'll try to be clearer. The other poster just makes it sound like these border guards kill Palestinian children for little reason. He's throwing it out like this but but overlooks the situation and that sadly children are used as bombers. In this case the guard was wrong but he was there on the border because of the bombers and part of the responsible overall should be placed on the people who send the bombers in the first place. The Palestinian children and others are being used which is what I'm trying to say. This is a very sad thing that happen but outside groups that pay the bombers, support, brainwash people to kill themselves help caused it. He leave that out it's a two-sided street if they didn't send the bombers the situation wouldn't be the way it is. I hope that a little clearer on what I'm trying to say.

Last edited:

eaf-f16

No I'm not I'm not justify the murder and should be punish for his crime...He leave that out it's a two-sided street if they didn't send the bombers the situation wouldn't be the way it is.
Yes, you are. A Palestinian girl who to the Israelis looked 10-years old and non-threatening was still murdered without reason.

What you are trying to say is that this is somehow still the Palestinians fault and that the IDF shot her because of their circumstances even though the tape recording says otherwise. You are trying to justify murder.

I wouldn't have even brought this up if it weren't for "Rich" (and later on you) claiming that they send child suicide-bombers and then saying that every action the IDF is just because of the circumstances. So, if the IDF does something bad to the Palestinians it is still the Palestinians fault. Why? Because the Palestinians are born to be bad and the Israelis are the awesome and flawless Good Guys.

Edit to ROCK45: I'm talking to you on PM as so we don't hijack another thread and/or get banned.

Last edited:

ROCK45

No your wrong

To be a 100% clear
The guard is at fault, ok I said it lets move past that point. Its not what I'm focusing on here it's the bigger picture.

eaf-f16
I wouldn't have even brought this up if it weren't for "Rich" (and later on you) claiming that they send child suicide-bombers and then saying that every action the IDF is just because of the circumstances.
I didn't say this girl was a suicide-bomber you missed quoted me. I never said every action the IDF takes is circumstance. What I'm saying is put some of the blame on the people who send the bombers they help make the situation what it is as well.

Why? Because the Palestinians are born to be bad and the Israelis are the awesome and flawless Good Guys.
I never said this but that's an interesting comment. The Palestinians are being used big time, tell me there not. And not facing up to that is as bad as half the crap you accuse me of. That's what I'm trying to get into you that at least half the blame or fault of this horrible situation are the people using the Palestinians to begin with. When will people like you and from your region address this part of the situation? That's what I'm trying to make you understand not that Israel's perfect I know there not, I wasn't born under a rock.

Accepting things as they are, or turning one's back, just because it's happening to Israel or to Americans is wrong. In a general sense your supporting these very bad people who in a sense are bring down the good people from your region. I hope I made myself a little clearer.