the REAL way to make a silent kill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddo36

There is a myth going on about slitting somebody's throat with a knife is a silent kill. It is anything but silent. The enemy will gurgle and thrash around until his brains run out of oxygen, creating a lot of noise in the process.

No, if you want a silent kill, you gotta put your blade at the indent at the base of your enemy's skull (bone is thin there) and slam upward at a 45-degree angle. You'll scramble his medulla oblongata and the motor senses are cut off immediately. Now THAT's a silent kill.

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
There is a myth going on about slitting somebody's throat with a knife is a silent kill. It is anything but silent. The enemy will gurgle and thrash around until his brains run out of oxygen, creating a lot of noise in the process.

No, if you want a silent kill, you gotta put your blade at the indent at the base of your enemy's skull (bone is thin there) and slam upward at a 45-degree angle. You'll scramble his medulla oblongata and the motor senses are cut off immediately. Now THAT's a silent kill.
Just wondering...Have you personally confirmed this method works?

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Which is why that is not the Commando technique, there are some subtle additions to ensure the kill is silent. But I don't think I well elaborate...

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Actually, for a truly 'silent kill', have someone in a sealed container/room and evacuate the atmosphere.

As for the thread in general... Does the original poster have knowledge and training as to real/effective ways to kill quietly (since there is no such thing as a silent kill), or is this something they have hypothesized themselves based upon other knowledge?

-Cheers

merocaine

No, if you want a silent kill, you gotta put your blade at the indent at the base of your enemy's skull (bone is thin there) and slam upward at a 45-degree angle. You'll scramble his medulla oblongata and the motor senses are cut off immediately. Now THAT's a silent kill
Wow, thats reeaal interesting....(slowly reaching for the phone, Hello police, yes I'm on this forum right...)
:shudder

Last edited by a moderator:

lobbie111

Exactly... poor bunny rabbits... everyone knows thats what captured insurgents are for :D
One mans insurgent is another mans freedom fighter, think of people in other countries before you say something like that, I know you diddn't mean any harm but you may be offending some of the middle eastern members (or any country outside of yours in fact) on this forum.

On topic, crossbows as I understand have been used by conventional and Special Forces since the inception of the rifle, how silent are they as a killing method?

F-15 Eagle

Well this is a very gruesome topic but if you want to kill someone quietly you can use a suppressed pistol, .22 LR would be best because it has the smallest amount of gunpowder possible so it would just sound like a click and no bang or find a way to chop the head off instantly so there will be no noise like with a sword or something.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well this is a very gruesome topic but if you want to kill someone quietly you can use a suppressed pistol, .22 LR would be best because it has the smallest amount of gunpowder possible so it would just sound like a click and no bang or find a way to chop the head off instantly so there will be no noise like with a sword or something.
Iirc a cut off head lives for 30 seconds after being removed. Not so silent. Plus I'd imagine it would get very very messy. I personally like Todjaegers atmosphere method better. :p:

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
.22 LR would be best because it has the smallest amount of gunpowder possible so it would just sound like a click and no bang
As long as the bullet is subsonic (and .22 LR in its normal loading is) then any decent suppressor will ensure the round makes no noticeable noise. Attention to the firing mechanism by retarding the reloading system ensures that the mechanical noises of the silenced weapon is almost imperceptible. This is the case with the .22 'Hush Puppy' pistols.

You don't need to down load a .22 LR to make it quieter in a silenced weapon this will just have the effect of so reducing bullet velocity that it will bounce of someone's skull.

The kill to a 'silent' kill is controlling the target even if you shoot with with a silenced weapon in the temple or stick a knife into the base of their skull there may be involuntary noise from the dying body. Small amounts of noise from the weapon is the least of the problem.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I was involved with a small arms project a few years back where we were developing silencers for a range of small arms.

the test site involved an old airfield with acoustic sensors set up around the perimeter. basically we were clearing roos with a variety of subsonic rounds.

btw, at one stage the preferred professional roo shooter round was a .177 (same as some early target match weapons). You won't hear a subsonic .177 go off unless you're almost on top of it. It's like hearing a muffled involuntary emission in a restaurant :)

F-15 Eagle

I was involved with a small arms project a few years back where we were developing silencers for a range of small arms.

the test site involved an old airfield with acoustic sensors set up around the perimeter. basically we were clearing roos with a variety of subsonic rounds.

btw, at one stage the preferred professional roo shooter round was a .177 (same as some early target match weapons). You won't hear a subsonic .177 go off unless you're almost on top of it. It's like hearing a muffled involuntary emission in a restaurant :)
Oh is the .177 enough to kill a human? You might need a hollow point but those can't be used in war.

lobbie111

Oh is the .177 enough to kill a human? You might need a hollow point but those can't be used in war.
A well placed shot from even an Air Rifle will kill someone, the question is will a .177 go through body armour I thunk not I found a video a while back on an M14 with subsonics really crazy...(also suppressed) here is another video of an AK47 cycling subsonics.

[ame="http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=PEoh-MmpJNM"]Supressed M14 Cycling Subsonics[/ame]

[ame="http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=5fioU94E86w&feature=channel_page"]Supressed AK Cycling Subsonics[/ame]

The last video was showing you something that cycled as most subsonic ammunition does not cycle because the cycling action often gives troops away.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
A well placed shot from even an Air Rifle will kill someone, the question is will a .177 go through body armour
If you look at roo shoters, then they are not going for body shots - they're head shots. We used to have problems with mobs on the familys cattle station and often the stockmen would go out with the local aboriginals and go and make some money (and food) on the side. head shots kill, and save the pelt. Similarly marksmen and target shooters who used the .177's are match shooters - they're aiming for specific spots.

That's not to say that all marksmen and snipers will take head shots - but I'm talking in the context of what can and is achieved. So, I'm talking in relation to considered shots within their mission role.

Obviously a .50cal AI or Barrett will bust body armour - but it's also going to sound like a whip going off down range.

silenced .177's therefore are going to be better if you're looking at covert progressive events. Whether they're always relevant is another topic.

lobbie111

If you look at roo shoters, then they are not going for body shots - they're head shots. We used to have problems with mobs on the familys cattle station and often the stockmen would go out with the local aboriginals and go and make some money (and food) on the side. head shots kill, and save the pelt. Similarly marksmen and target shooters who used the .177's are match shooters - they're aiming for specific spots.
I am a keen roo sooter myself and I have always preffered the neck because it is often the most exposed spot and it is easy to place a shot on the spinal cord with a .223 up to .308

Headshots would have to be front on if the target is wearing a ballistic helmet so wouldn't the fastest most convienient way to kill someone with a .117 is straight through the neck into the spinal cord, not the head.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I am a keen roo sooter myself and I have always preffered the neck because it is often the most exposed spot and it is easy to place a shot on the spinal cord with a .223 up to .308
My point was in relation to using a .177 etc... I guess the best consistent shooters I've ever come across were our stockmen - and they always went for the head - each to his own. :) Me, I only ever went roo shooting with a ruger 10/22 or a sako .223. I did have a ruger mini, but that was not that useful as a station gun. I was also not that good at long range (hence the ruger)

Headshots would have to be front on if the target is wearing a ballistic helmet so wouldn't the fastest most convienient way to kill someone with a .117 is straight through the neck into the spinal cord, not the head.
Again, the .177 was in context to how low cal subsonics have been used in our own silencer trials. As soon as you up-armour someone then the academic side shifts again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.