The RDF or ODF (For the older members)

Mick73

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Are you online or off?
That was the question for who got what and who went where!
During any given year we had 1 Infantry Bn on standby for possible deployment.
At the Bn level you had one rifle coy with attachments on higher readiness. They rotated this Coy IIRC each month, with this came guard duties and the like. This kept the Coy on barracks as much as possible. Before this online Bn was put online it went through typical shake down exercises starting at Platoon, Company to Battalion levels throughout the first part of the year. Ending with a Bn live fire ex.
For most of the time, equipment that was short in supply was moved from one Bn to the other (such as flak jackets and helmets).
With this Bn was a 2nd line support unit based from 3BASB (now 3CSSB) which provided 2nd support in the form of a:
1 Transport troop (RACT)
1 Treatment Section (RAAMC)
1 Dental detachment (RAADC)
1 Field Supply Detachment (RAAOC)
1 MP det.
1 FFR det (RAAEME).
The name of this was....BSG (Battalion Support Group).
These sub units were designed for deployment with the online Bn.
Arty, Sappers and Signals were supplied by the parent units and these units never really change. IIRC 108Fd Bty supported 1RAR most of the time etc. and they put FO parties down to Coy level alone side the Coy's MFC.
I don't remember how 3/4Cav did it support but every year the RDF had a parade at the begining of each year with all pers and equipment ready for deployment. So, for example you had 2RAR+the BSG online and ready for deployment plus Bde assets from 3CER, 4Fd Regt, 103 Sig Sqn and B Sqn 3/4Cav Regt on shorter notice to move.
Aviation Support was on an as needed basis as these were not part of 3Bde they were 1Div assets.

So battle groups etc have been done for many year and I am sure 1 Bde would have their version on paper in the same way.
All I know is 5/7RAR had an extra medical unit from 1CCSB in East Timor, as they had , Treatment section minus (a few female medics and a nurse) attached to them but no BSG like sub units. 5/7 also supported the SASR with Catering and Tpt.

Anyone else got more for this. Its been a while since I had thought about this stuff.