RASigs Training

dweezil.comm.op

hey, could anyone tell me what to expect when i go to comm operator training???do i have to have any proir knowledge in radios & that stuff???

A

Aussie Digger

dweezil.comm.op said:
hey, could anyone tell me what to expect when i go to comm operator training???do i have to have any proir knowledge in radios & that stuff???
You'll be fine mate. After basic training you will attend an "advanced" basic course (assuming you are joining the regular army). During basic and this you will undergo "basic ratel" (radio telephone) procudures and learn how to use the Army's basic VHF/UHF radio's (Marconi PRR, Raven, Wagtail etc, plus a few "secure" devices that attach to them).

You will have a basic understanding of using radio's from that. When you move to Sale in Victoria for your IET(initial employment training - School of Signals) your knowledge will be greatly expanded (antennae theory and all sorts of nonsense :D ). You will learn to use HF radio's and establish radio networks (nets), along with (I presume, not ever being of the Sigs Corps) computer networks and probably a bit about tactical data-links.

It's an interesting time to join sigs. Things like ARH Tigers and the new Elbit UAV's are going to require extremely robust signals capability and there's a new battlefield communications project that is about to replace our entire "legacy" communications capability and will greatly expand our comms capability, particularly with respect to digital security and "frequency hopping" capability...

Anyway, don't get too concerned, Army courses are not designed to fail people...;)

dweezil.comm.op

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
cheers alot mate, i already learnt some stuff on a few of the army combat radios in cdts, i had a notebook of info them....
i cant remember wat this radio was called but it weighed around about 11.5-12kg, not easy to carry for a 13yr old along wit a 23kg burgen....lol
thank anyway for that info, greatly apprieciated(cant spell..lol):)

A

Aussie Digger

dweezil.comm.op said:
cheers alot mate, i already learnt some stuff on a few of the army combat radios in cdts, i had a notebook of info them....
i cant remember wat this radio was called but it weighed around about 11.5-12kg, not easy to carry for a 13yr old along wit a 23kg burgen....lol
thank anyway for that info, greatly apprieciated(cant spell..lol):)
No worries, it was probably an old "77 Set". Otherwise it would have been a Raven or Wagtail radio set. I doubt you would have seen any others in Cadets...

Best of luck for your time in the ADF.

AD

RonnyMarl

AD - sorry to disappoint you but you have some information wrong.

dweezil.comm.op - I am ex-RASIGS and you will not be going to Sale once you have left Kapooka. Sale is an Air Force base (RAAF Base East Sale). Where you will be going is the Defence Force School of Signals at Simpson Barracks located in the Melbourne suburb of Macleod (although it is universally called Watsonia by the members of the Corps even though Watsonia is the next suburb). That's where you'll do your IET. Use the links below to find out about the different operator trades available to you:

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/default.asp?p=645#831

and

http://www.defence.gov.au/army/stayarmy/RASIGS_files/RASIGS.html#ECN266

As a member of the Corps, and depending on what Unit you are posted to during your Army career, you can expect to spend a lot of time away from home. As an example, on Exercise K81, I was away for over six weeks but the Exercise itself was only 10 days long. Sigs are often one of the first in and one of the last out. Why? - because other Corps often go in early to prepare for the exercise such as Engineers and Ordnance and they require the comms provided by RASIGS. These days with so many operational deployments, time away might be extensive.

Use the links to look at all the operator trades and keep in mind that there is a life after the Army so even at this stage consider what might interest you in 6, 10 or 20 years time and pick a trade that will help you get there.

You'll find Kapooka tough and possibly a culture shock but once you get through it, you'll look back on it with pride.

Good luck in achieving your aim and have a great career in RASIGS - I know I did.

dweezil.comm.op

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
RonnyMarl said:

dweezil.comm.op - I am ex-RASIGS and you will not be going to Sale once you have left Kapooka. Sale is an Air Force base (RAAF Base East Sale). Where you will be going is the Defence Force School of Signals at Simpson Barracks located in the Melbourne suburb of Macleod (although it is universally called Watsonia by the members of the Corps even though Watsonia is the next suburb). That's where you'll do your IET. Use the links below to find out about the different operator trades available to you:

and

As a member of the Corps, and depending on what Unit you are posted to during your Army career, you can expect to spend a lot of time away from home. As an example, on Exercise K81, I was away for over six weeks but the Exercise itself was only 10 days long. Sigs are often one of the first in and one of the last out. Why? - because other Corps often go in early to prepare for the exercise such as Engineers and Ordnance and they require the comms provided by RASIGS. These days with so many operational deployments, time away might be extensive.

Use the links to look at all the operator trades and keep in mind that there is a life after the Army so even at this stage consider what might interest you in 6, 10 or 20 years time and pick a trade that will help you get there.

You'll find Kapooka tough and possibly a culture shock but once you get through it, you'll look back on it with pride.

Good luck in achieving your aim and have a great career in RASIGS - I know I did.
thanks for that, im gonna start applying in a yrs time, im getting used to waking up at 5am now....lol & finally can run the 2.4km in 12mins....lol....:cool:

A

Aussie Digger

RonnyMarl said:

and

I'm getting old... Sheesh.:D

RASigs aspirant

Pre-Assessment

Hi,
I am an applying for the Corps Signals Officer. I just attended the JOEs session and looking forward for my Assessment this 21st of May. At this stage, I would like to speak to someone at the Defense Force School to secure . My defense recruiter as well as Melbourne Regiment informed me to go/speak directly with anyone at the Simpsons Barracks. Who do you recommend that I talk to or just direct me to a certain group that may be able to handle my queries. I am just checking if anyone here may be able to direct me to the appropriate individual / group. I will try to contact Macleod as well.
Cheers!