People's Liberation Army news and updates

alexkvaskov

Thread for discussing all things PLA related.
I'm not much of an expert on the PLA, so feel free to post for general enlightenment. :)

Sorry to necro, but only place.

Huge Chinese miliatry parade kicks off tomorrow to celebrate the end of WWII. The DongFeng (Eastwind) DF-21D (fabled carrier killer) will be on display, along with the YJ-12 supersonic air-launched cruise. Obviously, this is more than just a celebration of the anniversary itself.

China to parade DF-21D - FT

Ranger25

Staff member
A few parade shots. It's interesting how much their vehicles resemble other nations'.

Gur Khan attacks!: ЧудеÑа китайÑкой техники
The PLA has become an international expert I copying and reengineering western military tech. Either reverse engineering or cyber theft has been a preferred method of development for over a decade. The Russians are still strained over the copies of the SU30 built for the PLAF.

What I found more interesting is XIs announcement of the reductions of another 300,000 troops from the PLA. Can be considered one of two things IMO, economic decision, or a move toward a western style professional military. Most likely a combination of both

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/03/w...-town-as-it-gears-up-for-military-parade.html

Ranger25

Staff member
The PLA has become an international expert I copying and reengineering western military tech. Either reverse engineering or cyber theft has been a preferred method of development for over a decade. The Russians are still strained over the copies of the SU30 built for the PLAF.

What I found more interesting is XIs announcement of the reductions of another 300,000 troops from the PLA. Can be considered one of two things IMO, economic decision, or a move toward a western style professional military. Most likely a combination of both

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/03/w...-town-as-it-gears-up-for-military-parade.html

Another example of PLA knock offs

New China Drone: Looks Like A Reaper But… « Breaking Defense - Defense industry news, analysis and commentary

Blue Jay

So the Chinese have made their own version of a dual-barrel carbine/airburst grenade launcher after the fashion of the XM29 and K11 called the ZH-05.

I can't find much about it but as far as I can tell it's a QBZ-03 modified. So it has a 5.8mm KE component along with a 20mm HE component. The overbarrel grenade launcher is single-shot bolt-action. Makes the weapon itself lighter, which was a big problem for the XM29. The 20mm smart munition apparently has less electronics and more explosive so its lethality is adequate.

I don't know much about Chinese weaponry so forgive me...anybody out there with more insight on this? Sorry I can't post links or images of this yet. Two posts to go...

Ranger25

Staff member
So the Chinese have made their own version of a dual-barrel carbine/airburst grenade launcher after the fashion of the XM29 and K11 called the ZH-05.

I can't find much about it but as far as I can tell it's a QBZ-03 modified. So it has a 5.8mm KE component along with a 20mm HE component. The overbarrel grenade launcher is single-shot bolt-action. Makes the weapon itself lighter, which was a big problem for the XM29. The 20mm smart munition apparently has less electronics and more explosive so its lethality is adequate.

I don't know much about Chinese weaponry so forgive me...anybody out there with more insight on this? Sorry I can't post links or images of this yet. Two posts to go...
PLA TO&E places it similarly to the U.S. M203, two grenadiers per rifle squad. Not sure what units its designated for yet

China Defense Blog: ZH-05 OICW

Blue Jay

PLA TO&E places it similarly to the U.S. M203, two grenadiers per rifle squad. Not sure what units its designated for yet

edited out url
I'm not surprised. I wonder if the Chinese will have it complement more traditional grenade launchers in each squad or flat out replace them? The Koreans have two K11s per squad but retain the two underslung 40mm grenade launchers in the squad as well. I'd expect the Chinese to do similarly.

I can't get over the ingenious ideas of having the single-shot bolt-action for the grenade launcher and simple variations of different shells instead of a complicated variably programmable smart shell. And how they integrated the fire control into the weapon.

I think this is the first time I've been genuinely impressed by a Chinese weapon. I just hope it doesn't get spoiled when more info becomes available.

CheeZe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCfdGzXPN_w

The full parade in variable degrees of English proficiency. I also suspect some of the reporters were nervous about screwing up.

I consider the reduction of military numbers to be political. It's a simple outward sign to try to tell other countries "Hey, we're de-escalating here by reducing our military so relax a bit!"

It doesn't even mean very much since all China needs to do is wait until enough of its conscripts finish military service and in the next round(s), draft fewer. This, in turn, means that more of its young men can theoretically go to college or the work force after finishing their schooling. That result strengthens China's economic foundation.

Ranger25

Staff member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCfdGzXPN_w

The full parade in variable degrees of English proficiency. I also suspect some of the reporters were nervous about screwing up.

I consider the reduction of military numbers to be political. It's a simple outward sign to try to tell other countries "Hey, we're de-escalating here by reducing our military so relax a bit!"

It doesn't even mean very much since all China needs to do is wait until enough of its conscripts finish military service and in the next round(s), draft fewer. This, in turn, means that more of its young men can theoretically go to college or the work force after finishing their schooling. That result strengthens China's economic foundation.
My understanding is the downsize is really more of a shift, moving numbers into "internal security police type forces"

Toblerone

Banned Member
TASS: Military & Defense - China makes advance payment for S-400 air defense system delivery

According to the article an advance payment for S400 systems has already been made but they will get them in 2017.

According to media reports, the deal involves no less than six S-400 battalions worth a total of $3 billion.
Maybe they will then stick one of them at the contested islands, 400km of radius is nothing to scoff at :p:

Maybe in 7-8 years we will also see some chinese copypastas being sold to USA's enemies.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe in 7-8 years we will also see some chinese copypastas being sold to USA's enemies.
Can you even be bothered to read the basics? The US and China are not enemies. They may compete for influence but are certainly not enemies. And who are US enemies any way?

Please reconsider your mode of discussion. It is borderline trolling and certainly motivated by a racist attitude towards certain ethnic groups. Any violation of Rules 12, 15 or 16 of the Forum Rules will lead to an immediate ban without further warning.

You will not last much longer in this forum, if you don't know what you are talking about. Do you want to motivate other members here to show up your lack of knowledge? If not, why would you want to talk to others like a trash-talking troll? You have over a hundred and sixty posts and yet you have not learnt, something from other forum members? I am constantly humbled by what I have learnt from other members over the years and a little humility goes a long way.
Maybe they will then stick one of them at the contested islands, 400km of radius is nothing to scoff at :p:
I hope you know that that most of the islands in the South China Sea are small despite the land reclamation done by China. That being the case, the tactical significance of this is not to be overstated in any war time scenario beyond the first 2 to 3 days. Are you aware that there is an existing thread on South China Sea thoughts?

China is developing some significant military capabilities that is worth watching and what is interesting in these developments (in relation to developments in the South China Sea) is not just the acquisition of advance SAM systems from the Russians. It could be interesting if you bothered to look below the surface and report to us, how China is trying to develop their maritime domain awareness beyond the first island chain (and try to peel back the onion layers of their air defence systems being developed). The US and all of ASEAN are all concerned about the latest excuse used by China for developments in the South China Sea. And it is possible to study these developments professionally without coming across as a troll.

Please school yourself on the basics, like Air Power 101 for New Members, instead of posting just an opinion - kindly also provide the basis for the opinion. It would help aid the quality of your posts.

Last edited:

Toblerone

Banned Member
My very simple post was firstly about the news regarding the S400 contract, which is a significant factor in the area, since it is considered very advanced and has an impressive nominal detection range.

And also about the chinese reverse engineering russian technology, as is well known. And then propagating semi-advanced equipment to USA potential enemies, like Iran. For example the Misagh series of MANPADS. Also the info here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China–Iran_relations#Military

Where you saw this, I don't know:
borderline trolling and certainly motivated by a racist attitude towards certain ethnic groups
Also the rules you pointed me to refer to racial slurs, racist remarks, inflammatory threads and terrorism support.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
My very simple post was firstly about the news regarding the S400 contract, which is a significant factor in the area, since it is considered very advanced and has an impressive nominal detection range.

And also about the chinese reverse engineering russian technology, as is well known. And then propagating semi-advanced equipment to USA potential enemies, like Iran. For example the Misagh series of MANPADS. Also the info here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China–Iran_relations#Military

Where you saw this, I don't know:

Also the rules you pointed me to refer to racial slurs, racist remarks, inflammatory threads and terrorism support.
Mate, Wikipedia is not that good a source and hence regarded as unreliable because it is not reviewed prior to publication. An good source is one from a recognised authoritative publication such as Janes etc.

Secondly, regarding OPSSGs warning, my advice is to accept it, not dispute it and learn from it. In my experience he is astute, quite fair in his moderating dealings and one not to issue warnings lightly. Therefore I would suggest that you take onboard what he has said otherwise he or one of the other moderators may curtail your activities here.

Toblerone

Banned Member
The wikipedia article has credible references every other sentence for that section. I am not a military analyst nor do I have time for extensive research into simple non-inflammatory statements, noone can expect such a high level of discussion in a public forum.

In case it is not apparent from my writing style, I am not actually arguing with anybody. There is no drama here.

I will contribute less from now on.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The wikipedia article has credible references every other sentence for that section. I am not a military analyst nor do I have time for extensive research into simple non-inflammatory statements, noone can expect such a high level of discussion in a public forum.

In case it is not apparent from my writing style, I am not actually arguing with anybody. There is no drama here.

I will contribute less from now on.
That's your choice regarding how often you contribute. However regarding Wikipedia's credibility, it fails to meet longstanding criteria here and elsewhere.

Last edited:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Publicly backchatting, challenging, questioning a direction or a request from a Mod is not going to end well

If you disagree with a Mods response then PM that PM first

Forum Rules also imply a spirit of intent re expected behaviour - they shouldn't need to be empirical in detail.

Waseb Al-Qisuin

NORINCO details VT5 lightweight MBT | IHS Jane's 360

Not directly PLA related as NORINCO developed this 'lightweight MBT' reportedly for Export and the PLA started to field the ZTQ Light Tank (which is in a comparable class) very recently. So it is questionable if a version of this new VT-5 will enter the PLA. But as the ZTQ is said to have been made from scratch, I strongly believe that the new VT-5 draws heavily from the Type-88C/Type-96 as the overall appeareance and quite a few details suggest that. The PLA did almost the same with their Type-62s which were basically Type-59s (with a downsized maingun and less armour), an interesting approach to develop a light tank.

xinhui

Wanted to see what is your take on this important PLA reform.

Facts and Figures on China's military reform
Source : Xinhuanet
Editor : Zhang Tao
Time : 2017-12-19

BEIJING, Dec. 19 (Xinhua) -- This winter marks the second anniversary of the launch of China's reform of its armed forces.

Here's a list of facts and figures on the historic breakthroughs.

-- Four general departments at military headquarters were reorganized into 15 agencies within the Central Military Commission (CMC). One-third of the personnel were cut.

-- Five theater commands were established to replace the previous seven military area commands.

-- A new military structure has been established with the CMC exercising overall leadership, while the theater commands are responsible for military operations and the services focus on developing capabilities.

-- After remarkable downsizing of the ground forces, the army now accounts for less than 50 percent of the armed forces.

-- Over 1,000 units at the regiment level or above and 30 percent of commissioned officers were cut during the reform.

-- Seventy-seven military education institutions were regrouped to 43, including a strengthened National University of Defense Technology.

-- New laws and regulations on military issues have been introduced or amended, including a revised regulation on civilian personnel in the military released on Nov. 10, 2017.

Facts and Figures on China's military reform - China Military