Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Army & Security Forces

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

New Zealand Army Organisation

This is a discussion on New Zealand Army Organisation within the Army & Security Forces forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by 40 deg south Excellent find, TRD. https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/d...uthern-katipo/ The link is here. Info on the two drones mentioned ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1381
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 deg south View Post
Excellent find, TRD.

https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/d...uthern-katipo/

The link is here. Info on the two drones mentioned is below.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/11/4/1...e-review-price

https://www.aeryon.com/aeryon-skyranger

Is the intent to replace the entire Pinzgauer fleet, or just the armoured variant? There certainly seems to be wide dissatisfaction with the latter.
Whilst the armoured versions need replacing ASAP imo due to not being fit for purpose and seriously limited in operational terms the GS versions still perform well but I guess if you are replacing a large chunk of the fleet anyway then you may as well explore your options while you have the chequebook out.

In NZDF terms the pinz fleet is still relatively young but maybe (hopefully) the days of running fleets well past their LOT, for decades extra and essentially running into the ground until they become museum peices is itself a thing of the past. These projects sometimes go through a notoriously long aqquisition and implementation phase anyway so could still be a way off despite recent success stories like the MANs straight from UK stocks.

Bushmasters would be relatively straightforward via Aus, perhaps hawkei as well or iveco lmts from UK lines again. The g wagons would be another obvious favourite for commonality and logistical benefits regionally.

I can see it going the way of the unimogs ie armoured portion soon with spec and GS fleets at later dates in tranches so we could still be waiting awhile depending on certain factors. Either way a good time for a fleet shake up and some more suited and practical platform soloutions.
RegR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1382
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegR View Post
Whilst the armoured versions need replacing ASAP imo due to not being fit for purpose and seriously limited in operational terms the GS versions still perform well but I guess if you are replacing a large chunk of the fleet anyway then you may as well explore your options while you have the chequebook out.

In NZDF terms the pinz fleet is still relatively young but maybe (hopefully) the days of running fleets well past their LOT, for decades extra and essentially running into the ground until they become museum peices is itself a thing of the past. These projects sometimes go through a notoriously long aqquisition and implementation phase anyway so could still be a way off despite recent success stories like the MANs straight from UK stocks.

Bushmasters would be relatively straightforward via Aus, perhaps hawkei as well or iveco lmts from UK lines again. The g wagons would be another obvious favourite for commonality and logistical benefits regionally.

I can see it going the way of the unimogs ie armoured portion soon with spec and GS fleets at later dates in tranches so we could still be waiting awhile depending on certain factors. Either way a good time for a fleet shake up and some more suited and practical platform soloutions.

Never been in one but I hear they are quite noisy to ride in, the GS fleet is still quite young as you mentioned they would still commanded a good resale value in private hands.
t68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1383
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by t68 View Post
Never been in one but I hear they are quite noisy to ride in, the GS fleet is still quite young as you mentioned they would still commanded a good resale value in private hands.
Yes, you're supposed to wear earmuffs in them. I agree, they would get alot of interest in civilian circles, even around the world, if sold due to their "renowned" capabilities.

Be interesting to see what becomes of the armoured variants as well, could suit a smaller nation or constabulary role such as in Timor Leste where they served.
RegR is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: