Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Army & Security Forces

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

New Zealand Army Organisation

This is a discussion on New Zealand Army Organisation within the Army & Security Forces forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Of course, given the manning problems of most units at the moment, 2/1 isn't far away from being a Cadre ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.
Old March 19th, 2006   #31
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
Cadre

Of course, given the manning problems of most units at the moment, 2/1 isn't far away from being a Cadre at the moment either!
Rocco_NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006   #32
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco_NZ
You mean apart from the NZDF Annual Report, the NZD Briefing to the Incoming Government and the Ministry of Defence Briefing to the Incoming Government?

3/1 is maintaned as a cadre, but it does exist.
Are you sure? I downloaded those reports and unless the Adobe PDF search function has somehow failed the words 3/1 and Cadre do not exist in those documents. Nor do they exist when veiwed in the listed army force structure or other relevant part of those documents.
Could you post the relevant page number or copy paste the relevant text where it is mentioned?
Stuart Mackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006   #33
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
documents

I'll see if I can locate the document again. In the mean time, have you tried the Parliamentary Written Question Database? There is some very interesting information in there that hasn't found its way in to mainstream circulation.
Old March 21st, 2006   #34
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco_NZ
I'll see if I can locate the document again.
Defence force and the MOD websites have the ones you mentioned.

Quote:
In the mean time, have you tried the Parliamentary Written Question Database? There is some very interesting information in there that hasn't found its way in to mainstream circulation.
No, I havent. I confess I didnt know there was one. I shall eagerly look it up and see what half truths our public servants have been foisting on each other
Stuart Mackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006   #35
Private First Class
No Avatar
Threads:
New Zealand soliders

How well trained are the New Zealand soliders? I have heard they are one of the best in the world?

Thanks in advance
NZLAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006   #36
Grumpy Old Man
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZLAV
How well trained are the New Zealand soliders? I have heard they are one of the best in the world?

Thanks in advance
They're a very good outfit - and they've always had a very good and solid reputation as level 1 operators.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
http://cofda.wordpress.com/

gf a.k.a. ROBOPIMP T5C
gf0012-aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006   #37
Banned Member
Major General
No Avatar
Threads:
They just need more of them.
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006   #38
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Question

What exactly do you mean by the term 'level 1 operators'
Mr Waka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006   #39
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
Threads:
New Zealand soldiers have always been considered some of the best in the world all the way back to WW1 where we first made our mark. NZ also have one of the most admired armies in the world because of the effort our guys make to get to know the people of the areas they get deployed to (eg look at how the people of East Timor have welcomed the soldiers from the NZ army). What lets us down is our lack of equipment and numbers.
stryker NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006   #40
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Threads:
Re: NZ Land Forces.

Yes our soldiers are very good, however we are in danger of letting the Doctrine of Peacekeeping prevail over our war fighting ability. If we keep training them to the level they are today and have them function on the same level as the Australians then they are very good.

Its a pity we cant get our LAV into action and deployed to ET to work it through its paces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker NZ
New Zealand soldiers have always been considered some of the best in the world all the way back to WW1 where we first made our mark. NZ also have one of the most admired armies in the world because of the effort our guys make to get to know the people of the areas they get deployed to (eg look at how the people of East Timor have welcomed the soldiers from the NZ army). What lets us down is our lack of equipment and numbers.
Markus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006   #41
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Threads:
Re: More.

Yes more retainability is needed. There are too many soldiers and personell running off to higher paid jobs overseas with better opportunities. This was brought around by low moral due the Army being left without proper equipment in the past and the Army thinking they were into peacekeeping duties which seems to be the direction of this party. I hope due to changes in the military that this will change from here on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-E
They just need more of them.
Markus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006   #42
Defense Professional / Analyst
Lieutenant Colonel
Threads:
having worked closly with2/1 RNZIR , i can say they are the equal with any other infantry that i have worked with, and much better than most. (also very good beer drinkers!). Their bush skills and ability to adapt to conditions that are much different to what they are used to was impressive.
old faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006   #43
Honorary Moderator / Defense Professional / Analyst
Major
No Avatar
Threads:
The Govt is currently engaged in a 10 year exercise to rebuild the strength of the NZDF. With a target of 2000 extra personnel, 1500 for the army. It is to cost an extra NZ$4.2b and increase the pay and conditions of personnel. Kicked off this year so it will be interesting to see how it goes.
Whiskyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006   #44
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Could someone please answer my question. I had go at searching about the web and did not seem to find anything that helped me out.
Mr Waka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006   #45
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Waka
Could someone please answer my question. I had go at searching about the web and did not seem to find anything that helped me out.
In this context section, platoon and company level. The basic stuff. Not surprising really - battalion sized exercises a rare. While we maintain a brigade framework in theory, in reality it is hardly ever tested and we lack many of the assets you would expect to find at brigade level.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: