Militaries Recruiting Foreigners

JoshN

Greetings, everyone,
I am an 18 year old from the United States. All my life I wanted to be in the military, but was DQ'd due to epilepsy, as you have to be 5 year seizure and medication free to enlist and I am still on medication. Yet, I still felt a strong desire to serve in a military, so, I was wondering, if I can't serve in the US military, who else would allow me to enlist. I've spent a long time looking into Militaries that accept foreigners and the final results were: French Foreign Legion, first choice, I would be DQ'd, too. Israel Defence Force would accept me, only problem is my closest tie to Judaism is my great-great grandmother who was allegedly a closet Jew in a Christian community. New Zealand and Australia would disqualify me, and I do have no special qualifications they need right now. Ukraine said yes under the condition I learn their language prior to enlisting, which is the same as Russia's policy, but there is no way I'd go there. I was wondering if anyone knew of anyone else. I was wondering if anyone knew of other Militaries, and what your opinions are on the various paramilitary organizations in Syria and Ukraine, and I was also wondering about how hard it is to work for a private military contractor. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do? Thanks!

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Gidday Josh, my own view, having served myself, is that if you have a health problem disqualifying you from active service, it may be for the better in the long term because that problem can become a liability for the military. Therefore I suggest that you look into an similar field where you may find that your health issues will not be a hindrance. Something like EMS or similar.