kapooka 28/7/08 any tips

King Comm

Are you going to the full 13 week reg course or the 4 week choco course?
Regardless, if you are used to get up at 6 in the morning everyday, you don't enjoy tallking to your family, you don't go to the pubs, you don't drink much sugary bubbly drinks, and your parents never hugged you or gave you any compliments, then Kapooka isn't going very hard, if not, it might be a bit hard to cope when you are yelled at all the time and there is noone to display any affection towards you. Just keep in mind that nothing there is intended to hurt you or fail you, nor do the instructors have anything against you. Wagga is going to be cold in July, but the good thing is that the lines have air condintioning now.

I found Kapooka alright since I normally get up early, I am not really close to my family, I don't go to the pub, I don't drink much sugary bubbly drinks, and my parents never hugged me or gave me any compliments. So I didn't receive as much of a shock when I got there as some of the others. Well, that was when I went there, I heard that they've gone soft over the years.

.:macca:.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sounds good then im pretty much the same as you, my family compliments me and stuff but I don't need it when the corporal has finished screaming at me.

I had it a bit tough at highschool and just started to take things on the chin and not take it personaly.
Don't mind getting up early did plenty of that for highschool have no problem with that.
Love the cold.

why they gone soft on recruits though, that's crap but it allsounds like paradise to me I've waited many years for this and I can't wait to get there.

Last edited:

Goknub

Kapooka

I'd say expect the absolute worst and "be the greyman".

I found those who expected new-age "gentle" training took it the hardest. If you expected to be f@#t over every waking minute then you'll get through and wonder what the fuss was all about.

The insight (if you'd call it that) is that most skills could be taught in a weekend, its mostly about "toughening mentally".

One of the blokes in my Platoon was slicing inch-wide strips of flesh off his face every morning with his razor because he couldn't take it. Psych discharge after 2 weeks. Expect to be mind-fuct.

The Infantryman

There is a DVD called Surviving Kapooka which our company shows every potential new recruit. If you're a reservist it's your unit's responsibility to teach you nav & 1st aid BEFORE you attend Kapooka. You must be competent in these areas 1st.

After you've done your 28 days you then do your mods to get your quals in the corps you're joining, i.e. infantry or infantry support (being those not in THE corp...lol...sorry, couldn't resist some esprit de corps). For infantry you have 2 X 2 weeks of IET training. You can do these seperately or back to back. It's during these courses that you'll do most of your weapons training. You'll only learn the basics at Kapooka.

Kapooka is the hardest 4 weeks of your military career. Everything after that is a breeze. If you're physically fit before you go it'll help you mentally, i.e. be able to do the 2.4km run in under 10.30, min 40 pushups & min 100 situps.