Indian soldier of the future.

dabrownguy

Army unveils plan to equip infantryman for tomorrow's wars

The plan, termed 'F-INSAS' (Future Infantry Soldier as a System), is based on the prevailing trends which indicate 'infantry-centric' pattern of warfare will predominate in the present and even for the foreseeable future at all strategic, operational and tactical levels, the Director General Infantry Lt Gen K Nagaraj said here.

'F-INSAS' is designed to enhance the survivability, lethality and the mobility of a soldier,' he said, n a presentation on the concluding day of the Army-Industry Partnership Meet-2003 here yesterday.
A modular weapon system, an integrated helmet assembly, a portable computer-radio, protective clothing and other individual equipment form the components of the F-INSAS, Lt Gen Nagaraj said, stressing that a basic postulate of the plan is the soldier's interest.

''We do not intend to burden the soldier. We are looking at a maximum total weight of 20 to 25 kg for all this equipment,'' he pointed out.

Listing the other infantry modernisation programmes being undertaken globally like the US 'Land Warrior: the First Integrated Soldier Fighting System for Dismounted Infantrymen,' the German 'Future Infantryman System' (IdZ), the French 'Fassin a equipment et liasons integres' (FASIN) and the British 'Future Integrated Soldier Technology' (FIST), which differs from the previous in focussing on an infantry section in the dismounted close combat role than an individual soldier, he said all these sought to use 'cutting edge technologies' for the automated, electronic battlefield of the future.
Scientific advisor to the defence minister has indicated that a project to implant chips on soldiers will be demonstrated in two years.

He said this entire kit would not cost very much and would enhance the performance of the soldier operating in low intensity conflict scenario and save his life in case of injury.

This would be achieved by a vest, fitted with communication systems and mini-radio network, now being developed by the DRDO.

Similarly, the US had shown keen interest in learning from India's experience in bio-medical sciences and environmental physiology.

India was perhaps the only country in the world where its soldiers performed military operations in as varied terrain as burning deserts and freezing glaciers.

The two countries had also agreed to cooperate in the development of a vaccine for biologicial warfare.

The DRDO had developed the expertise in countering chemical warfare, including detection kits and personal and collective protection for soldiers in a nuclear environment.

A high-powered Government body had given the go-ahead to the DRDO to store such chemical agents at designated spots all over the country. However Dr Atre refused to divulge details about their exact location.

Elaborating upon the advances made by the DRDO in the field of life sciences Dr Atre said the DRDO would offer 18 pharma products to the country's pharmaceutical majors on Wednesday with free technology transfer.

These products include carbogen, a mixture of oxygen and carbon dioxide gas to minimise adverse effects of noise on the hearing system, herbal protector against radiation and processed food products, he said.
ndian troops to go hi-tech soon

April 07, 2004 22:13 IST

Under an "aggressive" modernisation drive, the army is acquiring latest gadgets so that it can be on par with the armed forces of developed countries.

Ballistic helmets, equipped with infrared night-vision devices and strong torchlights, are currently under trial and can soon become a part of the soldier's dress, Director General of Ordnance Services Lt Gen R S Shahrawat said in New Delhi on Wednesday.

The army is also contemplating equipping soldiers with global positioning system on watches, which will help in identifying soldiers' locations.

The overall uniform and footwear of the troops will also be upgraded, Gen Shahrawat said.

"Some of the equipment planned to be inducted is under trial to check their performance and see whether these meet our requirements," he said.

The government has also cleared acquisition of more bullet-proof jackets and helmets for troops involved in counter-terrorism operations in Jammu and Kashmir and the Northeast, he added.
http://in.rediff.com/news/2004/apr/07army.htm

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Your thread is going all over the place, with wrong link.

The least you can do is format the link properly so it does not stretch for miles across the screen!

lamdacore

I usually don't trust the rediff. I think they fire their gun in one direction. BUT if the source is true, then we are about to see another technological race in south asia

adsH

lamdacore said:
I usually don't trust the rediff. I think they fire their gun in one direction. BUT if the source is true, then we are about to see another technological race in south asia
Indo link seams to be very neutral some of the Pakistani news source happen to be very untrust worthy (a common problem with south east asian news websites)

mysterious

My money would be in the opposite direction though as far as Indian and Pakistan websites are concerned but yeah Rediff is quite ok (after all, they were the ones to post the news of George Fernandes helping out Tamil Tigers which I used in my thread "India's Terrorist Minister"). :smokingc:

Roger Smith

Today, I saw on TV Zee news about Indian army changes for its soldiers with night vision, computerized mapping, light sleeping bag, lighter weapons, better uniform etc., everything is compact and lighter equipment for future soldiers of the century. :smokingc:

adsH

Roger Smith said:
Today, I saw on TV Zee news about Indian army changes for its soldiers with night vision, computerized mapping, light sleeping bag, lighter weapons, better uniform etc., everything is compact and lighter equipment for future soldiers of the century. :smokingc:
What i find irritating is why Countries full of bureaucracies make a big deal out of this i mean yeah you need better weapons may be light if you have weak soldiers but just handing them sleeping bags thats Stupid if India cannot provide shelter to there forces (on the battle feild) then it shouldn't have so many Soldiers look at other western countries (appart form US) they all have Small Armies that they can train and regualry provide new Equipment. by spending on improving Soldier Living conditions on the feild has to be a priority (its like you shove them out in the feild on rainy cold area and expect them to be happy risking there lives and at the same time make them feel Not important!! becasue A superior Officer has a mobile tent or a cabin with heating/ Air condtioning!! And after all that you would Expect that the soldier to fight to his maximum. Its easy for people on TV to show that MR Happy Soldier has a sleaping bag a new gun and a small battle scren to keep him wondering what it does!!! but its actually realy hard when your out there risking your life trying to defend your nation. And not be appriciated Physically. I am sure the TV channels would have loads of messages from Film stars Ministers and Cricket star saying we admire your courage and support you and all, but those people are at there homes and they are sending that messages from there lavish palaces!! Words are empty Gestures !!!!

A

Aussie Digger

Many countries are trying to develop "next generation" soldier combat systems based on the similar idea of enhancing the infantry soldier as a complete integrated weapon system rather than just a soldier. Australia has it's own Soldier Combat System that itis been working on for years. The biggest problem to date has been the weight of the equipment. It is simply not possible (yet) to integrate all the separate elements of this system, (including personal weapons, body armour, ballistic helmets, communications devices, day and night sighting systems, thermal imaging systems, support weapons [grenade launchers etc] command and control systems, health monitoring systems etc) into a package that still provides the infantry soldier with the mobility needed for his job.

Here's some pics of early Australian trials for this type of equipement.

adsH

Hey i can see the soldier with a guidance site (atleast i call it instead of you looking in through the guns view finder you just aim the weapon and fire i was plaaning to build one of these for my finale year project so i guess i just threw me back down (so i am no the only one who thought of that. in my design the LCD is in the form mini screen infornt of the eye to acquire a target as quickly as possible!!

A

Aussie Digger

Sorry Adsh, you are not the only to have thought of this idea. Indeed it has been used operationally in helicopters for years. It will exist in most fighter aircraft within a few yeas too, most predominantly with the US Joint Helmet mounted cueing system. It has yet to make it into the field for normal infantry use as far as I know, but it won't be long, 5-10 years for most "major" army's I suppose.

adsH

Aussie Digger said:
Sorry Adsh, you are not the only to have thought of this idea. Indeed it has been used operationally in helicopters for years. It will exist in most fighter aircraft within a few yeas too, most predominantly with the US Joint Helmet mounted cueing system. It has yet to make it into the field for normal infantry use as far as I know, but it won't be long, 5-10 years for most "major" army's I suppose.

Aussie my mate no problem i will think of something new i still have some time to plaan. lol :? :D

A

Aussie Digger

What about designing a weapon that only has a stoppage when it runs out of ammunition, instead of having stoppages for all sorts of reasons?

adsH

Aussie Digger said:
What about designing a weapon that only has a stoppage when it runs out of ammunition, instead of having stoppages for all sorts of reasons?
like a fully automatic self diagnostic weapon interesting !!±!

A

Aussie Digger

Self diagnostic would be okay. The firing rate could be or should be selectable by the operator, with single round, 3 round burst and full automatic fire being the optimal settings for an assault rifle in my view. Single shot for those nice aimed shots at long range, 3 round burst for general engagements and full auto for those "whites of the eyes" close quarter combat scenario's, where the first to hit usually survives... The weapon should have at least 30 rounds in it's magazine, be of compact and lightweight design, yet rugged enough to survive prolonged operations in the bush. It should be designed to operate equally well regardless of environmental condition (Jungle, desert, snow or maritime conditions). It should be capable of accurate aimed fire up to around 400 metres, and should possess little recoil. It should possess an integral sighting system, to which enhancements (such as torches, laser aiming devices, thermal imagers or passive night sights, etc) can be easily attached, without requiring re-zeroing. It should be able to mount a bayonet or alternatively a 40mm grenade launcher or a short barrelled 12 gauge shot gun (for close quarter combat). This weapon should balance well and be simple in design (appearance) and operation. It should be easy to shoot and to learn to shoot and operate. The weapon should be able to be simply and quickly stripped and reassembled (even in darkness) and should not require significant attention to cleaning/maintaining etc. This weapon should be designed aspart of a series of weapons including a carbine/sub machine gun version, a normal assault rifle and a "light support weapon" (LSW) (Minimi type weapon). The LSW, should however possess a "belt fed" capacity, in addition to it's ability to use "normal" magazines. The LSW should also be accurate to around 800 metres and be capable of providing significantly higher volumes of fire than the other versions. The LSW also requires a "quick change barrel" facility, due to the problems of overheating, due to the extra firing capacity and may well require a heat shield in the fore grip area, to enable operation of this weapon for extended periods. The LSW should be available with a shortened barrel for Parachute or Special Forces operations This weapon should be cheap enough to mass produce, yet display a high level of quality, to inspire confidence in potential users. Now if you can fit all that into one weapon system you'll be doing very well...

adsH

Aussie Digger said:
Self diagnostic would be okay. The firing rate could be or should be selectable by the operator, with single round, 3 round burst and full automatic fire being the optimal settings for an assault rifle in my view. Single shot for those nice aimed shots at long range, 3 round burst for general engagements and full auto for those "whites of the eyes" close quarter combat scenario's, where the first to hit usually survives... The weapon should have at least 30 rounds in it's magazine, be of compact and lightweight design, yet rugged enough to survive prolonged operations in the bush. It should be designed to operate equally well regardless of environmental condition (Jungle, desert, snow or maritime conditions). It should be capable of accurate aimed fire up to around 400 metres, and should possess little recoil. It should possess an integral sighting system, to which enhancements (such as torches, laser aiming devices, thermal imagers or passive night sights, etc) can be easily attached, without requiring re-zeroing. It should be able to mount a bayonet or alternatively a 40mm grenade launcher or a short barrelled 12 gauge shot gun (for close quarter combat). This weapon should balance well and be simple in design (appearance) and operation. It should be easy to shoot and to learn to shoot and operate. The weapon should be able to be simply and quickly stripped and reassembled (even in darkness) and should not require significant attention to cleaning/maintaining etc. This weapon should be designed aspart of a series of weapons including a carbine/sub machine gun version, a normal assault rifle and a "light support weapon" (LSW) (Minimi type weapon). The LSW, should however possess a "belt fed" capacity, in addition to it's ability to use "normal" magazines. The LSW should also be accurate to around 800 metres and be capable of providing significantly higher volumes of fire than the other versions. The LSW also requires a "quick change barrel" facility, due to the problems of overheating, due to the extra firing capacity and may well require a heat shield in the fore grip area, to enable operation of this weapon for extended periods. The LSW should be available with a shortened barrel for Parachute or Special Forces operations This weapon should be cheap enough to mass produce, yet display a high level of quality, to inspire confidence in potential users. Now if you can fit all that into one weapon system you'll be doing very well...
thats alot to-ask from a single weapon but i don't think i can do that on my own i was looking to join the MOD research dept they have research plans i might be able to get access (when i am chosen to work with them) to a MOD design or a rifle and then mod that with software and hardware but i would think the thing MOD has problem with is the fact the weapon that they use heats up too much so i guess cooling would be a priority. but i will see what i can do cheers for the list. hey while were going out with the sense why not add gps LCD eye-wear and Current generation communication useing wirless connectivity with each component.

A

Aussie Digger

True but if somebody could design such a weapon, they'd sell millions... All of your suggestions and mine plus a powerpack of some sort basically makes up a soldier combat system doesn't it?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Aussie Digger said:
True but if somebody could design such a weapon, they'd sell millions... All of your suggestions and mine plus a powerpack of some sort basically makes up a soldier combat system doesn't it?
Some of the functionality you talk about is achievable in weaps such as Metalstorm.

ie dial up, rate of fire, a capacity to go to a larger round through barrel swap out (as the barrel defines rounds used - not the trigger mechanism)

BruteGorilla

lamdacore said:
Which are the other tech races in S. Asia?

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
BruteGorilla said:
lamdacore said:
Which are the other tech races in S. Asia?
Nuclear Race, Missile Race, The Arms Race etc. etc.

Now please stick to the topic of "Indian soldier of the future" because usually such questions start invoking nationalistic emotions in some of our right leaning members :roll . Thanks.

BruteGorilla

shamayel said:
BruteGorilla said:
lamdacore said:
I usually don't trust the rediff. I .......another technological race in south asia
Which are..in S. Asia?
Nuclear .....Race etc. etc.

Now please stick to ......nationalistic emotions in some of our right leaning members :roll . Thanks.
Check the HTML quotes here. There is no technological race in S. Asia. Any why is it quoted that it happens only in S. Asia. Rest of the S. Asian neighbours are pathetic in technology. be it defence or any other sector.

Like all good militaries Indians too are trying to modernaise its forces. Once upon a time armoured and artillary regiments were modernised. Subsequently interactions with other armies in UN and Home IA takes steps to bring down the soldiers burden. Its hardly an south asian context. Why people see IA through the myopic S.Asian angle? IA is heavily involved worldwide. A light soldier is an internal descision and not based on other S. Asian prespective.