Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Army & Security Forces

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

IDF's Trophy active defence system saves tank in combat

This is a discussion on IDF's Trophy active defence system saves tank in combat within the Army & Security Forces forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; IDF armor-defense system foils attack on tank for first time The Me'il Ruach (Windbreaker) system, marketed abroad under the name ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old March 1st, 2011   #1
Just Hatched
Private
Threads:
IDF's Trophy active defence system saves tank in combat

IDF armor-defense system foils attack on tank for first time
The Me'il Ruach (Windbreaker) system, marketed abroad under the name Trophy, successfully stopped an antitank missile fired from Gaza.

By Amos Harel

The Israel Defense Forces Armored Corps successfully operated its new armor-defense system for the first time on Tuesday, defending a tank from an antitank missile attack on the Gaza border.

On Tuesday afternoon, an antitank missile was fired at a Merkava 4 tank on the border with the Gaza Strip, near Kibbutz Nir Oz in the western Negev. The tank crew then activated the new defense system, Me'il Ruach (Windbreaker), and successfully foiled the attack.

The "Windbreaker" armor-defense system first made its field debut two months ago, after antitank missiles were seen used by Palestinian militants from Gaza, as well as following a strike on an IDF tank with an antitank missile.

Produced by Rafael, "Windbreaker" is an active armor defense system that is being marketed abroad under the name Trophy. The system employs sensors and radar to identify an incoming missile, and dispatches interceptor missiles which neutralize the hostile weapon before it can strike the tank.

The decision to develop the system followed the experience of the Second Lebanon War, in which a number of tanks were damaged by advanced anti-tank missiles fired by Hezbollah guerrillas.

Several groups in the Gaza Strip are known to hold hundreds of different antitank missiles, and the growing ability of Gaza militants to use these missiles may force the IDF to change its combat doctrine on the Gaza border, in order to reduce its exposure to the antitank missiles.

Quoted from Haaretz dot com (don't have enough posts to place a direct link)
published 20:11 01.03.11

Last edited by WebMaster; March 3rd, 2011 at 02:49 AM.
ARI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011   #2
Just Hatched
Private
Threads:
As far as I know, this is tank warfare history - the first time that a tank mounted active defence system has been used in battle.
Old March 3rd, 2011   #3
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARI78 View Post
As far as I know, this is tank warfare history - the first time that a tank mounted active defence system has been used in battle.
According to a quick a quick wiki search, the Soviets deployed the hard-kill Drozd system in Afghanistan during the 1980s. Apparently, it scored some successes versus Muhajedeen RPGs.

Feanor would probably know more about this, assuming it's true.
Kilo 2-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011   #4
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Yeah i heard bout it .(i live in israel lol).
We just gotta wish that Hamas\Hezbollah will not get the Russian RPG-30 .
Lol.
ItsEden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011   #5
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
any photos or videos? I'd be nice to see it in action.
Avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011   #6
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid View Post
any photos or videos? I'd be nice to see it in action.
Write at youtube Rafael Trophy Active Protection System

sorry cant give you a link, i have only 8 posts.
ItsEden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011   #7
Private
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo 2-3 View Post
According to a quick a quick wiki search, the Soviets deployed the hard-kill Drozd system in Afghanistan during the 1980s. Apparently, it scored some successes versus Muhajedeen RPGs.

Feanor would probably know more about this, assuming it's true.
Russians made asystem called (Arena E) ,it was ahard kill system..

the RPG30 considered as antitrophy technique....
destructivetouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011   #8
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedfire View Post
Russians made asystem called (Arena E) ,it was ahard kill system..

the RPG30 considered as antitrophy technique....
Drozd was the spiritual predecessor to Arena, and to the best of my knowledge, it predated the ARENA both in design and in deployment.
Kilo 2-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011   #9
Private
Threads:
Quote:
Drozd was the spiritual predecessor to Arena, and to the best of my knowledge, it predated the ARENA both in design and in deployment.
yeah,it's right

about trophy ,i read somewhere that americans may put it on abrams...
Old March 20th, 2011   #10
Just Hatched
Private
Threads:
Quote:
Do you know if those systems scored any kills? I am curious as to how efficient the older systems were.

Anyway it looks like Hammas are running QA tests The system is now two for two:

Gaza: IDF tank shield intercepts missile
By: Ron Ben-Yishai
'Windbreaker' defense system intercepts missile fire on Merkava 4 tank; IDF responds with artillery fire; Palestinian injured. Hamas: Reaction will be severe if attacks on Gaza continue

Exchanges of fire between IDF soldiers and Palestinians were reported at around noon Sunday near the Al-Bureij refugee camp in Gaza.

During the fighting, Palestinians fired an anti-tank missile at a Merkava 4 tank, which is equipped with the "Windbreaker" defense system. The system intercepted the missile, and IDF forces responded with artillery fire.

Published: 03.20.11, 12:32 / Ynetnews dot com
Old March 20th, 2011   #11
Private
Threads:
The RPG-30 has a simple solution against trophy . A small rocket is fired micro seconds before the larger rocket..

attach...
abrams_rpg.jpg

rpg30_21229076826.jpg

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: