Idea for future tank/apc

Seanbtwo

I'm an aspiring writer of military science fiction, so I often dream up new weapons systems used by future soldiers. I'd greatly appreciate any and all comments about this particular weapon system.

The idea I had was to begin with a Stryker M1128 Mobile Gun System. The topside cannon would be completely removed. Inside the Stryker there would be two or three stations. Each station would have a helmet that gives the user a heads up display and allows for 360 degree vision and control of the sight lines for the robotic arms. Then, each station will have a pair of gloves that are linked to one set of the robotic arms.

The robotic arms themselves would each end in some type of heavy weapon system (mini guns, rockets, cannons, ground to air missiles, flamethrowers or heavy automatic shotguns). The arms would fold into armored compartments when not needed. I can also see variants of this Stryker being modified to use the robotic arms for search and rescue operations, among other things.

Because each set of arms is operating independently it would allow for multiple targets to be engaged simultaneously, thereby greatly increasing the combat effectiveness of the system.

This idea could also be scaled up and used on a greatly modified tank chassis.

Respond and tell me if this idea has any merit!:sniper

My2Cents

1. What is the proposed purpose/mission of this vehicle? It sounds overly complex (i.e. expensive) and does not make much sense.

2. How many robotic arms? 2, 4 (in 2 pairs), or 6 (in 3 pairs)? What is the length and load bearing capabilities of each arm? Located at opposite ends of the vehicle or superimposed? Will they be attached to the sides, roof, or connected to a torso section (centaur style)?

3. From a weapon firing standpoint a telefactor style control system is inherently impossible to stabilize so it cannot fire accurately while on the move. Effective one handed aiming range probably the same as for a pistol, about 50m.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm an aspiring writer of military science fiction, so I often dream up new weapons systems used by future soldiers. I'd greatly appreciate any and all comments about this particular weapon system.

The idea I had was to begin with a Stryker M1128 Mobile Gun System. The topside cannon would be completely removed. Inside the Stryker there would be two or three stations. Each station would have a helmet that gives the user a heads up display and allows for 360 degree vision and control of the sight lines for the robotic arms. Then, each station will have a pair of gloves that are linked to one set of the robotic arms.

The robotic arms themselves would each end in some type of heavy weapon system (mini guns, rockets, cannons, ground to air missiles, flamethrowers or heavy automatic shotguns). The arms would fold into armored compartments when not needed. I can also see variants of this Stryker being modified to use the robotic arms for search and rescue operations, among other things.

Because each set of arms is operating independently it would allow for multiple targets to be engaged simultaneously, thereby greatly increasing the combat effectiveness of the system.

One of the problems with having articulated arms is they are far more complex and harder to effectively protect than a conventional turret. So the turret provides a simpler and more secure method of mounting weaponry than robotic arms with lots of complicated, moving parts that must be armoured against enemy action.

In addition you have to ask what sort of scenarios would you envision where a Stryker would make an effective director of three separate types of weapons, and where this could be used without putting the Stryker at extremely high risk?

Say you take a conventional turret with, for sake of example, a 25mm cannon on it. This is a general purpose weapon that can be used on a range of targets, and then you could add, say, a remote controlled weapon system atop the turret with a 7.62mm machine gun. These weapons complement one another and can engage a range of targets in a variety of scenarios without compromising the inherent relative stability, security and simplicity of a conventional turret design.

The system you're proposing is interesting, but very complex, in terms of not just the robotic arms themselves but the amount of computer systems necessary to make effective use of them and the difficulty of armouring such systems against enemy fire. For these reasons I'm unsure of whether it would achieve a benefit over a conventional turret with a general purpose primary weapon complimented by a secondary weapon like a machine gun.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts, maybe I'm off base on some things. There are other more qualified people in here who could give you a better opinion. :)

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The robotic arms idea seems strange and out of place. In terms of an AFV with tons of differing weapons systems, and multiple weapon operators, I'd check out the BMPT, including the earlier prototypes of it.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Just controlling two different weapons with both arms is more than just challenging.
Everyone who has tried to fire two pistols at once knows that one hits sh** while doing it.

All the other problems already got adressed.

Overcomplicated, diffuclt to armor, expensive and without a clear role.

My2Cents

I think we should look at upgunning the 1128 Mgs with a 120mm main gun.
They have enough trouble with the recoil from the 105mm, the weight of the vehicle, and that it only carries 18 rounds on board. It would probably be a better idea to see if a 90mm or 75mm Ares cannon could do the job. :sniper

NICO

I would look into developing/using new types of ammo compared to new sci-fi platform. Just a thought.

hasty_d

Wheeled Vehicles

I used to work with Strykers- Just remember to consider the weight of your modifications. The maximum practical weight for a wheeled vehicle is about 19 tons. Anything higher and you have to switched to a tracked chassis, else you will get stuck in the mud. The Strykers are generally already at that weight and exceed it with the add on armor. This appears to be okay in the desert, but I wouldn't bring an uparmored Stryker into a woodland environment

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
19 tons is not the maximum usefull weight for wheeled vehicles.

A VBCI comes in at more than 25 tons, a Boxer at 33 tons and IIRC a Piranha III with turret is also heavier than 19 tons. Sure they cannot compete with a tracked modern AFV in heavy terrain but they are not less mobile than lighter Strykers and LAVs on their older Piranha chassis.

Not that the idea with these arms doesn't remain weird...;)

hasty_d

Thank you Waylander, I stand corrected. After further research- the 19 ton maximum requirement for the Stryker was to meet Air Force transportability capabilities. The 30 ton mark is considered to be about the practical limit for wheeled vehicles.

Corsair96

I remember the M551 being Airdroppable, but are their any other tanks that still have this capability? Is it a viable use for actual combat? or is it a completely worthless use. I think it wold be pretty useful for RDF's and for sites without a big airstrip

Corsair96

It would look cool as hell
but you probably wouldnt have as much degree of control over their weapons and if one broke then your sitting in water? Also, consider how many motors it would take to give you a good degree over control for 6 separate moving "arms"

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I remember the M551 being Airdroppable, but are their any other tanks that still have this capability? Is it a viable use for actual combat? or is it a completely worthless use. I think it wold be pretty useful for RDF's and for sites without a big airstrip
The Sprut-SD is. The Russians call it a self-propelled anti-tank gun, but basically it's an air-droppable light tank with a 125mm main gun.

SteelTiger 177

What should also look at is artillery and light tanks.Currently the U.S. is fielding two new systems the M777 towed howitzer and the HIMARS rocket system and so far nothing new in the way of self-propelled guns.In the last decade two Spg-systems were looked at the Crusader and the N-LOS cannon both of which were cancelled.A new Sp-Howitzer is needed simply because the the currrent system the M109A6can't keeep pace with the Abrams MBT.When the Paladin entered service in the 1960s the M48/60 tanks were the current mbts in the US arsenal .When the M1 entered service we something unique in tank combat a tank that can move fast(and furiously) and hit its targetss straight and true from great distances.A new Spg is vital as well as light tanks and breaching and bridging systems

vivtho

Have you thought about the weight and volume aspects of this loadout? Protecting multiple weapon mounts like you have described will significantly increase the weight of the vehicle. Even if the scenario of the book accepts reduced armour in place of firepower the loadout will still be too heavy. At a stretch I can imagine the Stryker mounting an additional minigun, cannon or flamethrower. But the other systems you described all require dedicated platforms and cannot spare the volume and weight for multiple systems. All the heavy weapons you describe weigh several tonnes. Robotic arms that can carry such loads would look more like that of an excavator than something like a scaled up Wall-E. You would also have to consider ammunition. Assuming that you have all the weapons mentioned, you wouldn't be able to carry a useful load of rockets, missiles and grenades.

I do like the idea of synthetic 360 degree vision though. Also you might want to consider a weapons platform with just the robotic arms and a truckbed-type chassis which could load one heavy + one light weapon system which could then be operated by the arms. While still not realistic, I think it does not stretch reality too far.

Seraph

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I believe what OP was envisioning is essentially a Stryker with multiple CROWS mounts - an updated version of the Vietnam-era gun trucks, as it were.

Browning M2 machine guns have served admirably in CROWS mounts and can replace many of the OP's envisioned weapons. of course, this would mean sacrificing the ability to actually transported personnel (due to additional weapons stations and ammunition requirements) inside the Stryker, which is a rather big downside.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I don't really see the advantage of such a vehicle. The only thing you essentially get is the ability to fire into multiple directions. I assume one would be hard pressed to get more than 2 of the .50s onto the same target area. So for most situations you get a 50% increase in fire volume compared to a normal Stryker.

How many situations are there were one needs the all around firepower of such a vehicle?
I think that a version with another heavier weapos setup is much more usefull as I expect there are much more situations where one needs more bam than more volume. Like an autocannon (+ATGM) or heavy calibre gun (Just like the MGS).

Twinblade

On a slightly different note, my idea of a future tank is more like a light, air dropped unmanned armored vehicle for infantry support. The vehicle can be controlled by infantry by either using helmet mounted displays or PDAs. Since it won't be having any crew, a lot of armor can be done away with, making it very light with a very low profile, maybe even doing away with tracks for mechanisms similar to mars rovers. It can be mounted with a L55 or L44 gun with a reliable auto loader, a couple of mortar tubes for laser guided mortars, a couple of ATGM tubes and a 20mm autocannon. The powerplant can be a battery of fuel cells similar to in development "Bloom Box" combined with electrical drives (I am hardly being eco friendly here, the benefits would be lower heat and acoustic signatures, enhanced endurance and drastically reduced maintenance as compared to a diesel or gas turbine power plant). Most of the technology is in place today, or in advanced stages of development, so this idea is not entirely unfeasible.

Just my 2 cents.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't really see the advantage of such a vehicle. The only thing you essentially get is the ability to fire into multiple directions. I assume one would be hard pressed to get more than 2 of the .50s onto the same target area. So for most situations you get a 50% increase in fire volume compared to a normal Stryker.

How many situations are there were one needs the all around firepower of such a vehicle?
I think that a version with another heavier weapos setup is much more usefull as I expect there are much more situations where one needs more bam than more volume. Like an autocannon (+ATGM) or heavy calibre gun (Just like the MGS).
You could have multiple coaxial weapons slaved to a single FCS, like the Bakcha-U module. There is some advantage to that.