Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Army & Security Forces

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Help needed: current use of T-34's

This is a discussion on Help needed: current use of T-34's within the Army & Security Forces forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by Crunchy Currently Vietnamese People's Army uses the remaining T-34s as targets for exercises. And not only for ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old March 20th, 2009   #31
Banned Member
Lieutenant Colonel
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
Currently Vietnamese People's Army uses the remaining T-34s as targets for exercises.
And not only for targets. Someone I used to know saw some from a car at a training base 4 years ago. They were sitting under covers painted in fresh glaringly green paint with something written on the turrets and huge white numbers on them (full turret height). When he asked a guide, he was told this is the parade training unit! This guy reckoned there were at least 3-4 rows of sheds with maybe a dozen spaces each, but he could not tell if they were all with a T-34/85 in them because all he could see was the 3-4 of the end sheds. They even had edges of everything painted in white like the Soviet Army used to for Victory parades in the Red Square.
FutureTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009   #32
Private
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTank View Post
And not only for targets. Someone I used to know saw some from a car at a training base 4 years ago. They were sitting under covers painted in fresh glaringly green paint with something written on the turrets and huge white numbers on them (full turret height). When he asked a guide, he was told this is the parade training unit! This guy reckoned there were at least 3-4 rows of sheds with maybe a dozen spaces each, but he could not tell if they were all with a T-34/85 in them because all he could see was the 3-4 of the end sheds. They even had edges of everything painted in white like the Soviet Army used to for Victory parades in the Red Square.
Sorry,but if forum-members check around the mil sites in the last few weeks you will see that the T-55s are going through upgrades, while the few T72 are reserved for best units. There are no T34/85 in active service.
But usually Vietnamese military parades include some "historic components/gear", so what is mentioned, might be those units, which are kept in "proper" condition for some parades, but not for service.
Crunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2016   #33
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
This is thread necromancy most foul, but the Houthis in Yemen are using T-34's in combat. Which is pretty impressive.

Т-34 в Йемене остаются в строю.. - Юрий Лямин
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2016   #34
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
This is thread necromancy most foul, but the Houthis in Yemen are using T-34's in combat. Which is pretty impressive.

Т-34 в Йемене остаются в строю.. - Юрий Лямин
I notice that they don't fire the gun from inside the turret though having cut a hole through the turret wall and using a lanyard. I wonder if that is due to the quality of the ammo that they are using and maybe one or a few have blown up in their face. It is impressive though and they were an impressive tank in their day. Certainly gave the Wehrmacht a very good shellacking.
Old November 18th, 2016   #35
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngatimozart View Post
I notice that they don't fire the gun from inside the turret though having cut a hole through the turret wall and using a lanyard. I wonder if that is due to the quality of the ammo that they are using and maybe one or a few have blown up in their face. It is impressive though and they were an impressive tank in their day. Certainly gave the Wehrmacht a very good shellacking.
Hmmm I don't think so since low quality ammo would rather build up less pressure. If the "remote control" is a safety thing I'd rather assume they don't trust the breech all too much. Don't know if breech failure is a thing with these guns though. Then again, I hear (never been there) it is a hot place down there and most probably it is not very comfortable inside the tank. When they are using it as a more or less stationary direct fire arty piece, why not control it from the outside?

Makes me wonder, especially if this is a war veteran tank, since it is probably around 70 years old, at some point there have to be problems with fatigue.
Falstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2016   #36
Defense Aficionado
Major General
Threads:
Talking

Yes, 70 years should raise concerns about fatigue. Good point about the heat though. Canada's Leo 1s first used in Afghanistan were so hot inside that jury-rigged AC systems had to be added. This and other problems resulted in a rush delivery of Leo 2 tanks that had bespoke AC. Don't think AC was ever envisioned for T-34s!
John Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2016   #37
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fedup View Post
Yes, 70 years should raise concerns about fatigue. Good point about the heat though. Canada's Leo 1s first used in Afghanistan were so hot inside that jury-rigged AC systems had to be added. This and other problems resulted in a rush delivery of Leo 2 tanks that had bespoke AC. Don't think AC was ever envisioned for T-34s!
Or proper ventilation to evacuate those powder gases.
Old November 18th, 2016   #38
Banned Member
Sergeant
Threads:
I found these: https://historygeek.co.nz/2012/05/19/last-of-the-t-34s/
https://rbth.com/defence/2014/07/07/...ght_37987.html

I doubt we'll see much of their use in the future other than in parades, target practice, or as artillery or for roadblock duty. It's also possible to remove the turret & install AA guns/ AT rockets; if feasible, install a tractor cabin & attach a plow to make it a bulldozer, or make into a combat armor retriever.
Tsavo Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2016   #39
Banned Member
Chief Warrant Officer
No Avatar
Threads:
I think the way the yemenis are using it is the most practical, as a direct fire artillery piece. Or you can dig out a hole and drive/tow it inside in a fully hull down position, camouflage it and use it as a gun emplacement to overlook a road or something. Then you only maintain the gun.

Anyway, literally anything will work against the saudis, let's be frank.

Yemen photos:

http://m.imgur.com/a/j3eAL
Toblerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2016   #40
Defense Aficionado
Major General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblerone View Post

Yemen photos:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
To be expected when all the hi-tech kit is placed into the hands of minor surplus royalty with minimal concerns as to their skill-sets.
John Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2016   #41
Defense Enthusiast
Chief Warrant Officer
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblerone View Post
I think the way the yemenis are using it is the most practical, as a direct fire artillery piece. Or you can dig out a hole and drive/tow it inside in a fully hull down position, camouflage it and use it as a gun emplacement to overlook a road or something. Then you only maintain the gun.

Yemen photos:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
The first image in that link - the armoured vehicle looks almost Hetzer like, although the fixed turret doesn't look to go all the way back as would a Hetzer's, also hard to tell if the canon is offset. My knowledge of post war soviet armoured vehicles is poor, but I'm guessing something of that ilk?
rb
rossfrb_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2016   #42
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Threads:
it looks to be an Su-100 of Soviet origin.
SASWanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2016   #43
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASWanabe View Post
it looks to be an Su-100 of Soviet origin.
Yep, it is. That's an old photo though. The one of the T-34 firing seems to be new.
Old October 28th, 2017   #44
Defense Professional / Analyst
Sergeant
Threads:
Necroing to put some fun links, but anyway, it looks there are a few people who are still using the T-34.

First off, I should note that this is all coming from this website: https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/
Which has a lot of fun and kind of random posts about various pieces of WW2 gear that was being used after V-J Day (some times long after, some times until now)

Wikipedia gives the sourceless list for current operators as Mali, Somalia, Syria, Yemen, and North Korea. I think we can cross Mali and Somalia off the list, as I can't find anything that says they've actually been seen in those two countries recently (and Mali had to dig pretty hard to hold out against Islamist attacks, so I think we would have. For Somalia, I just can't believe we haven't seen them after 25 years of war. There may be some derelicts hanging around in the country side). And surprisingly (considering everything else that showed up, including a bunch of StG-44s and German WW2 era artillery)...T-34s did not make an appearance in Syria. They have been seen in action in Yemen, but it's not sure if any are still doing so.
North Korea: as noted, had at least one operational T-34 filmed in an exercise in 2013. I'd feel comfortable thinking they probably have more in reserve of unknown quality/condition. Additionally, a number of their patrol craft and gunboats for their Navy use T-34 (and IS-2/3) turrets in lieu of actual naval guns onboard...which, totally counts for the purpose of this discussion, I guess?
Vietnam: moved the last of their units into reserve in 2010, apparently. With one big exception: some are located in their garrisons in the Spratly Islands, and the Vietnamese lack the logistical capability to move them, so have left them there in operational order.

There are probably a few other countries which have some (different sources give different lists), but that appears to be a decent one as of 2017.
Blackshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017   #45
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshoe View Post
Necroing to put some fun links, but anyway, it looks there are a few people who are still using the T-34.

First off, I should note that this is all coming from this website: https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/
Which has a lot of fun and kind of random posts about various pieces of WW2 gear that was being used after V-J Day (some times long after, some times until now)

Wikipedia gives the sourceless list for current operators as Mali, Somalia, Syria, Yemen, and North Korea. I think we can cross Mali and Somalia off the list, as I can't find anything that says they've actually been seen in those two countries recently (and Mali had to dig pretty hard to hold out against Islamist attacks, so I think we would have. For Somalia, I just can't believe we haven't seen them after 25 years of war. There may be some derelicts hanging around in the country side). And surprisingly (considering everything else that showed up, including a bunch of StG-44s and German WW2 era artillery)...T-34s did not make an appearance in Syria. They have been seen in action in Yemen, but it's not sure if any are still doing so.
North Korea: as noted, had at least one operational T-34 filmed in an exercise in 2013. I'd feel comfortable thinking they probably have more in reserve of unknown quality/condition. Additionally, a number of their patrol craft and gunboats for their Navy use T-34 (and IS-2/3) turrets in lieu of actual naval guns onboard...which, totally counts for the purpose of this discussion, I guess?
Vietnam: moved the last of their units into reserve in 2010, apparently. With one big exception: some are located in their garrisons in the Spratly Islands, and the Vietnamese lack the logistical capability to move them, so have left them there in operational order.

There are probably a few other countries which have some (different sources give different lists), but that appears to be a decent one as of 2017.
I have seen a photo of a defense line in Syria with T-34 tanks used as stationary guns. I don't recall the source and it was hard to tell whether they were operational or not.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: