H & K 416

USNavySEAL3310

I just watched something on the new H & K 416 and was really impressed. It has various attachments to convert a sniper to an M203 launcher, a shotgun to a compact rifle, etc. It is also extremely reliable when it comes to burying the gun in sand or completely submerging it in water, so similar in reliability to the AK. I did however have a few questions as it was the first time I'd seen it.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience firing this weapon? Is it as easy to use and reliable as it appears to be? Is it a serious future weapon? Will it be a a mass produced infantry assault rifle or reserved for SFs? Will there be a civilian design (obviously w/out full auto)?

I'd appreciate any additional light you can shine on this topic.

Thanks.

Border Man

Are you sure bt photos are of the H&K? The second weapon has the bolt assist, basic receiver shape, dust cover and pistol grip of an M16. Is it an M16 derivative?

A

Aussie Digger

Are you sure bt photos are of the H&K? The second weapon has the bolt assist, basic receiver shape, dust cover and pistol grip of an M16. Is it an M16 derivative?
The H&K 416 IS an M16. It's only modified internally...

USNavySEAL3310

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A few more questions...

So if it has the same basics as the M16, was the making of the 416 a type of joint or semi-joint project between Colt and H & K?

I'm not too familiar with gas operated rifles. Can anyone sum up how it works in one sentence and how it differs from other types of rifle systems in another sentence?

Does anyone here have any personal experience firing it? I've seen it shoot but can't judge the recoil or its accuracy from seeing someone else shoot. I've shot the AR-15 and CAR (both civ versions) if you can judge it in those terms.

Expanding from the above, any chance this will be modified (no full) for the civilian world?

Thanks.

DavidDCM

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
A few more questions...

So if it has the same basics as the M16, was the making of the 416 a type of joint or semi-joint project between Colt and H & K?
No, on the contrary. HK developed it on their own, combining the G36/XM8 short stroke piston system with the outer appearance of the AR-15 family (probably for better marketing in the US, as well as being able to use the broad range of additional equipment available for AR-15s). In the beginning they even called it "HK M4", but were sued by Colt name copyrights, so renamed it into HK 416 (which is basically a combination of M4 and M16 without the "M", not very creative).

I'm not too familiar with gas operated rifles. Can anyone sum up how it works in one sentence and how it differs from other types of rifle systems in another sentence?
Well, one sentence? Difficult :D
I maybe could explain it, but not in english... :( You don't understand german, I guess?

Does anyone here have any personal experience firing it? I've seen it shoot but can't judge the recoil or its accuracy from seeing someone else shoot. I've shot the AR-15 and CAR (both civ versions) if you can judge it in those terms.
No, I'm sorry. My only experience is with the G36, and I don't think that it is all too comparable to the 416. And I'm being far from being an expert on the G36, too.

Expanding from the above, any chance this will be modified (no full) for the civilian world?

Thanks.
That's a bit complicated. The 416 upper is treated as part of a machinegun due to US laws (don't ask me why! ) and therefore is is not allowed to be imported. It's only Law Enforcement agencies (and the military, of course) who are allowed to buy it. But, as far as I understand the story, there were Law Enforcement agencies who bought (or could buy) complete 416s and then scrap the Lower, afterwards selling the uppers to civilians. But that's really a complicated juristic mess, in which I'm not really adept.

9ak

H&K 416 is nothing more than M4. Difference is that upper of 416 is piston driven. Lowers are the same. I believe that Colt is or already have made their piston driven upper for M4.

9ak

H&K 416 is nothing more than M4. Difference is that upper of 416 is piston driven. Lowers are the same. I believe that Colt is or already have made their piston driven upper for M4.
Is designing or already have made. Sorry for bad sentence.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
And exactly that gives the HK416 an advantage when it comes to replacing the M16s and M4s in US service.
The US only has to buy the upper part and can go on using the old handles.

Makes it a cheaper solution than buying a whole new weapon.

merocaine

I believe that Colt is or already have made their piston driven upper for M4.
they certainly took there time about it, only got there ass's into gear when they felt the competiton breathing down there neck.

9ak

ht*p://www.smallarmsreview.com/pdf/POF416.pdf

Although it is not H&K 416, it´s designation 416 would point on that that it is same design, at least I believe that.

I liked 9000 rounds before stoppage fact, they didn´t clean it (pretty AK-ish don´t you think). Clearly better mechanism than of M-16 series, concerning reliability.

IHCrusader

ht*p://www.smallarmsreview.com/pdf/POF416.pdf

Although it is not H&K 416, it´s designation 416 would point on that that it is same design, at least I believe that.

I liked 9000 rounds before stoppage fact, they didn´t clean it (pretty AK-ish don´t you think). Clearly better mechanism than of M-16 series, concerning reliability.
I think the POF P415 is exactly what I'd want to fill in the hunger for an H&K 416 type AR and since this carbine/rifle has been well reviewed I plan on acquiring my own in the near future after I return from deployment. I am still debating whether or not to buy the 16" version or opt for the 18" rifle version. I am only familiar with the standard issue Colt M-16A2 service rifle so how much would the 16" barrel hurt my marksmanship? I am used to shooting targets at distances ranging from 200, 300, and 500 yds. I want the added ability to accurately engage targets from 500 yds, will the shorter barrel keep me from this?

Rossiman

Banned Member
I think the POF P415 is exactly what I'd want to fill in the hunger for an H&K 416 type AR and since this carbine/rifle has been well reviewed I plan on acquiring my own in the near future after I return from deployment. I am still debating whether or not to buy the 16" version or opt for the 18" rifle version. I am only familiar with the standard issue Colt M-16A2 service rifle so how much would the 16" barrel hurt my marksmanship? I am used to shooting targets at distances ranging from 200, 300, and 500 yds. I want the added ability to accurately engage targets from 500 yds, will the shorter barrel keep me from this?
Go with the shorter barrel. My dad has a M16A4 with a 16'' barrel, and he has a AR-15 with a 18"barrel. The 18" barrel has little to no advantages over the 16''. Go with what you like, and what you are used to using. If you are using a 16" go with it, if a 18" then go with that. It's all about the type of target shooting you are doing.
Hope i helped.

martitrmartitr

The long barrel is the obvious choice for target shooting. It gives you better accuracy at longer ranges.
The only reason for a short barrel is for better weapon handling.
That means if you don`t expect to be jumping in and out of vehicles in a hurry, or doing any FIBUA, go with the long barrel!

DavidDCM

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Double post? Sorry, i seem to have made a mistake. Look beneath for the correct post: