Egyptian GH-52 gun howitzer

Gollevainen

the corporal
Verified Defense Pro
I've long tryed to gain some additional info of the Egyptian purchase of Finnish made Patria GH-52 155mm towed gun-howitsers. The gun is in effect very similar as the 155K98 used by finnish armed forces without APU and associset electronized fire control systems. The system is said to be manufactured with licence in Egypt.

I've only seen some very brief articles about the deal which happended in 2003. Also i have this book about finnish artillery were is mentioned that patria was planning to sell the system to Egypt. Now, i'm looking some additional info over the whole issue, are the guns already in egyptian service, or is there been some sort of delay? Also i would like to know if anyone knows the egyptian experience with the gun also if they are interested of aquiring more advanced version of it (with all the "goodies" as the 155K98 have)?

But most importantly, does anyone have any pictures of the gun in egyptian service (or links to them)? Also the book that i mentioned above had an interesting Self-Proppeled variant of the gun said to be developted for egybtian use. The system was basicly the GH-52 gun in 360 angle rotating open turret onboard T-55 tank hull. THe system is very interesting and unlike any other SP system that i've come agross. It featured quite unique armoured covers to the gun when the system was mobile. The armour then opened like a shell case providing working pad for the guncrew. Sadly i haven't find any image over this project and as i have no scanner at the moment, i cannot provide any pics.

But can anyone help me with this matter?

Gollevainen

the corporal
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: Egyptian GH-52 gun howitser

thanks, but i've seen that article before and it didn't satisfy my needs....:cool:

And i was asking pics for the EGYBTIAN gun, not finnish one (i've seen enough of it in reality:kar :D ) and that is the 155K98 in your picture, just take a look of the backround...

...that backround thing reminds me of those pictures taken when we sold the egybtian guns forefather to Israel back in the 60's and seventies...everyone here asked why is there so much sand in the pictures? Ööhh, hmmm, It were taken on the beach of niinisalo? ....you see it wasen't so cool to sell weapons to any warfighting country back then. And israelis asked the same about the promo pics, why does the sand look so pale and why it covers all the trees?

heso10

about the howitzer

Egypt has completed an agreement to manufacture artillery systems under license from Finland.

Industry sources said the Egyptian Army has launched a project to produce the 155 mm towed howitzer by Finland's Patria Vammas. The agreement calls for the production of Patria's 155 GH 52 155mm towed howitzers.

The contract calls for Egyptian production to take place at the Abu Zaabal Engineering Industries Co. The London-based Jane's Defence Weekly reported that the artillery would be designated the E52 and that Egypt would obtain technology to produce the system.

The Patria 155 GH 52 has a range of 41.3 kilometers. The howitzer is a 155 mm and 52 caliber system.

Gollevainen

the corporal
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How about the SP system that i mentioned? Any news wheter it will be fielded by Egyptian army?

heso10

all i know that egypt is going to develop 155mm GH 52 apu but no evedence about self proppeled produced in egypt

ALBANHAWY

Gollevainen

How about the SP system that i mentioned? Any news wheter it will be fielded by Egyptian army?
egypt made the patria howitzer sp by loading it on t 55 chasea or loading it on m 109 turret & its in servise in the egyption army .
EGYPT replace the aging 122 &130 mm howitzer with patria ghn 155 mm calibre 52 & m109 a1,2,2,3,4,5 howitzer 155 mm 39 calibre .