Doing research - Questions on Indian Army

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavan

Hi i'm Pavan. I'm writing a screenplay and am currently in the process of Character development. My protagonist would have joined the Indian Army after school aged 16. After training he would have been posted to Kashmir. Where he would have been involved in counter-terrorist operations. For example there is intelligence that Terrorists have taken refuge in a rural village. The Army then goes to investigate, possibly resulting in an encounter. I'm not sure whether my protagonist should be an officer or a regular infantry soldier.

If he is an officer, and having joined the Army at 16, how long would it take after training to be posted to Kashmir and engage in such operations? Also the same question if he is regular infantry.

What type of traumatic incidents would my protagonist encounter serving in Kashmir to develop symtoms of PTSD Post-traumatic stress disorder. Any incidents where a sane soldier could develop a personality change, changing from a cool, calm, collected person and upon being discharged returning home into being constantly on edge, prone to violent outbursts, etc..

For what reasons can the pratagonist leave the army, say after 2-3 years service?

I would really appreciate any help from this community.

dragonfire

Hi i'm Pavan. I'm writing a screenplay and am currently in the process of Character development. My protagonist would have joined the Indian Army after school aged 16. After training he would have been posted to Kashmir. Where he would have been involved in counter-terrorist operations. For example there is intelligence that Terrorists have taken refuge in a rural village. The Army then goes to investigate, possibly resulting in an encounter. I'm not sure whether my protagonist should be an officer or a regular infantry soldier.

If he is an officer, and having joined the Army at 16, how long would it take after training to be posted to Kashmir and engage in such operations? Also the same question if he is regular infantry.

What type of traumatic incidents would my protagonist encounter serving in Kashmir to develop symtoms of PTSD Post-traumatic stress disorder. Any incidents where a sane soldier could develop a personality change, changing from a cool, calm, collected person and upon being discharged returning home into being constantly on edge, prone to violent outbursts, etc..

For what reasons can the pratagonist leave the army, say after 2-3 years service?

I would suggest you watch a malayalam movie starring Mohanlal, which shows the lives of NSG operators engaged in Anti-Terrorist activities in Kashmir. The movie was directed by Major Ravi (rtd.) who himself was an NSG operator. The movie has several of the elements you are looking for. - Keertichakra

p.l.rue

A few notes in general.
The condition of which you are investigating can occure in any army at any time in any theatre of conflict. Why did your subject decide to join the millitary was it for economic reasons or adventure loyalty to the flag? The equation is then what is it worth in times of stress, am I paid enough for what he is doing or home and hearth. Special forces try to find the limits of integrity for eg. Its easier to determine how dedicated an unfit person is by the abillity to keep going no matter what the physical impacts suffered.A fit person may cover a greater distance through physical training but lack the moral fibre to continue in adversity, in other words whats it worth. Other issues can be level of expectancy,if you have nothing you have nothing to lose. If your subject is living below subsistance level a regular food source will be an improvement. This then brings in the dimension of irregular forces the taliban or mercenaries of all colours. This can be covered by the previous stated. Other issues can enter such as situational awareness or stupidity quotent, this depends on the sensitivity of the subject. The aforesaid is an simplification of a complex emotion tolerance to combat suffering battle fatigue personal emmotional state. A US publication "the manual of millitary neuro psych" will expand on the above.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
There is already a thread on Indian Army on this forum. These questions can be asked there. On the other hand the topic also needs to be reviewed whether it qualifies to be discussed here.

Status
Not open for further replies.