Colombia says FARC rebels fire mortars from Ecuador

ROCK45

Colombia says FARC rebels fire mortars from Ecuador
Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:11pm EDT

BOGOTA (Reuters) - Colombia's army on Saturday said FARC guerrillas opened fire on its troops with home-made mortars from across Ecuador's border in the latest incident to test frayed relations between the Andean neighbors.

Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa broke off diplomatic ties with Colombia last month during a regional crisis when Colombian troops killed a top FARC commander in an attack on a base hidden over the border inside Ecuadorean territory.

Army Commander Gen. Mario Montoya said rebels had launched gas cylinder mortars from the Ecuadorean side of the frontier to attack Colombian soldiers in southern Putumayo province, where armed groups often grow coca to make cocaine.

"These bandits from FARC have once again fired five cylinders filled with explosives from Ecuadorean territory against Colombian troops who were providing security to an oil company," Montoya told reporters.

One soldier was wounded in the attack, he said.

Border incidents and a flurry of accusations between Bogota and Quito have kept tensions high between the two countries since March when Colombian troops attacked a FARC base over the border to kill rebel chief Raul Reyes.

Colombia's President Alvaro Uribe said the attack was legitimate because Bogota had warned Ecuadorean officials repeatedly about Reyes's camp and received no help. But Ecuador and Venezuela reacted by sending troops to their frontiers with Colombia and cutting ties with Bogota.

Colombian authorities say computers found at Reyes camp in Ecuador contained files revealing deep FARC ties to Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and Correa, but both leaders dismiss those charges as part of a smear campaign against them by Uribe's government.

The crisis has underscored political divisions in the Andes where Correa and Chavez promote a leftist agendas and oppose U.S. policies while Uribe is one of Washington's staunchest allies in Latin America.

Colombia's conflict has eased under Uribe, who has received billions of dollars in U.S. aid to help counter the insurgency. The FARC, labeled a cocaine-trafficking terrorist group by U.S. and E.U officials, has been pushed back into remoter regions.

(Reporting by Patrick Markey in Bogota, Editing by Sandra Maler)

Link
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsMaps/idUSN2642445120080426

Sea Toby

If Ecuador cannot or won't control its area around the border, I would cross it to clean it up if I were Colombia. If the other government won't help stop a rain of mortars from their territory, in my opinion they are harboring terrorists, its that simple. If Ecuador wants a war, they shall have one. If Ecuador does not want a war, they should clean up their area of the border. Safe havens should not be allowed.

PullerRommel

Im sure Ecuador will claim it has no allegiance with FARC and that they are looking for the culprits. Colombia will back up Ecuador and be like typical capitalist lingo all they want is our natural resources or something of the sort.

ROCK45

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ecuador

The speed and manor in which Ecuador responds is everything in this situation. They were pretty fast before and we all know a few hours time is all that's needed to get troops there by helicopter or less so were see.

ROCK45

No news

I have a friend who scans the South American press for me (Spanish) says Ecuador said "the attack couldn't be possible". Ecuador said the home made mortars don't have the range to be fired from across some river at the Colombians. I really couldn't find any other information on this. If it went down like this to me it's a little lame compared to quickly Ecuador rushed troops in helicopters to the area. Seems like Ecuador didn't or doesn't care but in all fairness I have nothing to really go by.

Do you think there's a chance of some cargo ship unloading 77 tons of small arms at some Ecuadorian port at night? (smile face)

ROCK45

Arms

I never saw the movie.

I just have this feeling can't back it up with proof that if China gets the former US air base in Ecuador and with Venezuela being Chinese friendly that things may open up in South America. Ecuador has oil and natural gas so it already has the basics China would need to be interest. I read on this South American web site that Ecuador sells the US west coast market 190,000 barrels a day. What happens it Ecuador decides to sell that to China instead? Ecuador's weapons base is a little dated right could use some some new equipment. Ecuador AF I think has a few Kfir C-3 or C-7, some Mirage F1-C/E, A-37, and off the top of my head Strikemasters, hope I got that right? I always wondered if the K-8 could be turn into a little COIN or light attack? Anyway Ecuador might be a good second customer for the FC-1/J-17, I know that reaching a little bit but stranger things have happen. Nobody thought China would have made so many arm sales Africa right but they have isn't like eight countries now that buy arms? Plus around 4,000+ troops in Sudan and one would think that number to be growing. I guess what I'm saying badly is South America is a huge untapped market.

IrishHitman

I never saw the movie.

I just have this feeling can't back it up with proof that if China gets the former US air base in Ecuador and with Venezuela being Chinese friendly that things may open up in South America. Ecuador has oil and natural gas so it already has the basics China would need to be interest. I read on this South American web site that Ecuador sells the US west coast market 190,000 barrels a day. What happens it Ecuador decides to sell that to China instead? Ecuador's weapons base is a little dated right could use some some new equipment. Ecuador AF I think has a few Kfir C-3 or C-7, some Mirage F1-C/E, A-37, and off the top of my head Strikemasters, hope I got that right? I always wondered if the K-8 could be turn into a little COIN or light attack? Anyway Ecuador might be a good second customer for the FC-1/J-17, I know that reaching a little bit but stranger things have happen. Nobody thought China would have made so many arm sales Africa right but they have isn't like eight countries now that buy arms? Plus around 4,000+ troops in Sudan and one would think that number to be growing. I guess what I'm saying badly is South America is a huge untapped market.
The US won't sit there and let China gain a foothold in South America.
The legacy of the Monroe Doctrine is too strong.

ROCK45

China's foot might be in the door

I must have ESP powers or something I had the country wrong but aircraft right. I know this isn't in stone yet but it's a start maybe Venezuela will be there gateway in.

Venezuela's Chavez to buy Chinese K-8 planes
Sun May 11, 2008 5:52pm EDT

CARACAS (Reuters) - Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said on Sunday the OPEC nation will buy Chinese military training planes, expanding recent arms purchases and further cementing a growing relationship with China.

Chavez in recent years has stepped up purchases of weapons and planes. Washington accuses the self-styled revolutionary of carrying out an arms spending spree that could destabilize the region.

Venezuela and China on Friday signed an accord to build a refinery on Chinese soil as part of a broader plan to reduce Venezuela's reliance on U.S. energy markets.

"We're going to buy Chinese K-8 planes," Chavez said during his weekly Sunday broadcast, calling them "excellent planes for the boys."

"We continue working on the issue of military equipment, even though they accuse me of launching an arms race," he said. "I'm not launching an arms race. Military expenditures are necessary for the country's defense."

Venezuela has also bought 24 Sukhoi fighter jets and 100,000 Kalashnikov AK-103 assault rifles from Russia.

Top White House officials have questioned the arms purchases given there have been few military conflicts in the region.

(Reporting by Brian Ellsworth and Patricia Rondon; Editing by John O'Callaghan)

Link
http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSN1156151320080511

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Venezuela has been on a buying spree recently. I made a thread about this purchase (it was announced along with a purchase of 10 Il-76 transports, 2 Il-78 tankers, and unknown number of Mi-28NE combat heli's.

Now Chinese in Sudan? Actual PLA troops on the ground? Are you sure about that? Or are we talking private and unofficial security forces around the pipelines? An actual PLA force in Sudan would be news to me :) I thought the closest they had to that was the engineers battallion deploying with the UN peacekeepers.

ROCK45

Troops

Feanor I am hunting for article right now about the Chinese troops. If I can't find in a little while I'll remove/change that part of the post. I posted a article I found that quoted 4,000 combat troops it was about the half way down of the story.

ROCK45

4,000 troops

I knew I could find it
A quote
A Chinese state-owned company owns 40% of the oil concession in the south of Sudan, and there are reportedly 4,000 Chinese troops there protecting Beijing's oil interests.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1576831-4,00.html

It's mentioned on these other links as well
This one is interesting it accuses the French of selling "ban arms" to China but it's from 2004 so the info is dated.
http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2004/3/18/82202.shtml

What a coincidence that Sudan - the largest country in the African continent - with land as far as the eye can see without a twig in sight - is having a whole load of trouble and 4,000 Chinese troops concentrated within one area involving Block 6 on the map of South Darfur (the same area I refer to above re Uranium discovery in Hofrat Al Nihas).

Note the Daily Star report about the 4,000 Chinese troops was not via a top news agency: it was authored by Gerald Butt, Gulf Editor of the Cyprus-based Middle East Economic Survey, who writes a regular economic analysis for The Daily Star. The report says it is from Nicosia in Cyprus (the Turks occupy half of Cyprus). The French are flying their Mirage jets around the Chad border, checking their 200 troops are OK

Full story
http://meandophelia.blogspot.com/2004/08/oil-china-genocide-in-sudan-and-south.html

The bottom two might not be the best sources I grant you but there's more out there to find. All three of these aren't even the one I knew about. I'm reading tons of stuff about China and Sudan from my search hits on Google.

Back to topic
It's only a feeling but I thing China will use Venezuela as a spring board to get into South America's arms market. There are some old jets flying in South America in which Chinese made replacements would do well. Take away Chile's 10 Block-52 Vipers and Venezuela's Flankers and there aren't any high end fighters flying. A FC-1 or mid level J-10 would be near the top of the fighter chain in SA currently.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It seems to me like the troops might not necessarily mean PLA forces. It might be the special security forces (possibly even semi-private security forces) that I mentioned earlier.

As for current SA airforces, Brazil is in the middle of a tender to get new aircraft. Venezuela and Chile are already flying relatively modern. So while J-10s would not be the bottom of the scale, I wouldn't say they'd be the top either.