British infantry/Warrior AFV

t68

Since the British army thread is still closed i have a small question to ask.
Does the typical British infantry section consist of an eight man section or the old ten man section?
Regarding the Warrior AFV it consists of a crew of three plus seven troops in the rear fully equipped with gear for forty-eight hours, do they sacrifice store’s to fit the extra section member or are they using two AFV to move a section around?

Maeda Toshiie

Does the typical British infantry section consist of an eight man section or the old ten man section?
Regarding the Warrior AFV it consists of a crew of three plus seven troops in the rear fully equipped with gear for forty-eight hours, do they sacrifice store’s to fit the extra section member or are they using two AFV to move a section around?
8 man squads.

They probably do as the US does, break the squads up to fit into the AFVs. The armoured vehicle platoon consists of 4 vehicles. Enough seats for a platoon: 3 rifle squads and with spare seats.

Last edited:

saracen

British forces sections of 8
Vehcle Cmdr is normally the section cmdr
most kit for the troops is strapped on the outside of the vehcle such as Begans
only Assault/Patrol order (Kit needed to fight!)is in the vehcle
hope this helps

saracen

It's kind of confusing. Why not design IFVs to fit the squad size?
The section cmdr by also being Vehcle cmdr has eyes's on giving him situational awareness and can de-buss issuing orders straight away rather than a delay while getting his bearings ,
The Warrior then becomes 9th member of the section providing fire support .

hope this makes sence ?.

t68

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I read in one of the UK online newspaper but cannot remember which one that BAE lost out to General Dynamics in building the replacement for the FV107 Scimitar but it did not elaborate to what it was being replaced with, can some one point me in the right direction.

Mods any idea when you are going to unlock the British army thread?

citizen578

I read in one of the UK online newspaper but cannot remember which one that BAE lost out to General Dynamics in building the replacement for the FV107 Scimitar but it did not elaborate to what it was being replaced with, can some one point me in the right direction.

Mods any idea when you are going to unlock the British army thread?

There's a dedicated thread on the subject, FRES.

The vehicle which won is the so called ASCOD SV, a heavily modified ASCOD2 vehicle with a brand new turret an systems. See dedicated thread.

DavidDCM

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It's kind of confusing. Why not design IFVs to fit the squad size?
Often this is due to technological limits. An AFV shall be able to transport a certain number of soldiers with a certain amount of equipment, yet it shall not exceed a size and weight limit and still retain a certain level of protection. This is simply not possible, so at one point the engineers are forced to either reduce the number of men or the protection level or to increase the size and weight. The Western armies have decided that reducing the number of men is the best trade off.