BMP-3s for Venezuela

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apparently Russia and Venezuela are on the verge of singing a contract on BMP-3 IFVs. Also allegedly in the works are MLRS and artillery systems.

http://arms-tass.su/?page=article&aid=61393&cid=25

Additionally a Russian service center for the Flankers, and pilot training facilities are being constructed.

To be honest I didn't see this one coming (though it was mentioned earlier that Venezuela was looking at BMP-3's). I expected the Tor deal to be signed before anything else, and potentially another plane deal. But I guess the Venezuelans are waiting for the Su-35BM to finish testing.

ROCK45

BMP-3s

I didn't see anything about Venezuela interesting in BMP-3s either so your not alone, I follow South American topics pretty closely. I wonder if T-90s will follow since the AMX-30 must getting old by now.

I'm going to look up Russian MLRS systems I don't know too much about them.

On a side note Venezuela's pilots must just be getting to know their Flankers pretty well by this point, I think is the end of the forth year.

I found a article about the same and a few other items thrown in English below:
Russia, Venezuela may sign infantry vehicle deal within month

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20081015/117751009.html

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think that they will sign the BMP-3 deal alone. There are several deals that are in the works. More Flankers (most likely Su-35BM), Tor M1, submarines (Amur class allegedly), Il-76 and Il-78 (10, and 2 to replace boeing equivalents), and Mi-28N helos. I'd expect another package deal to be signed possibly not within the month, but within the next little while.

nevidimka

Wow, venezuela has really impressed me. In terms of military Modernization, i believe Venezuela is on the top of the list. Their modernization drive is thorough!
Amazing. new fighters, including yet to receive Superflanker SU 35, Tankers, transport planes/helicopters, T90's, BMP's, towed artillery, Tor SAM, AK 101's, Submarines, warships.. wow.. I'm jealous.

By 2013 Venezuela would have the most potent and most modern military in South America if the rest of countries there do nothing.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
By 2013 Venezuela would have the most potent and most modern military in South America if the rest of countries there do nothing.
Nah, not if some of the rumours about Brazilian modernization come true. Everyone's waiting for their new defense procurement plan.

ROCK45

Venezuela

On paper yes I agree with you but remember most of that stuff hasn't been delivered yet and the Su-35 just launched it's second test flight so we have time.
Russia didn't do well with the Il-76 and Il-78 tanker aircraft delivers to China a few years back so time will tell. Most of the other equipment takes two to three years to build then add in training time, then deployment to active units.

I always thought they should have doubled up on their fighter order already it takes time to build fighters and train up pilots and ground personnel.

To me the make or break thing is the training it's still a very big learning curve for Venezuela to take on. Remember before this equipment their most modern weapons were F-16 A/B's so they still have a lot to learn. I don't know how Venezuelan personnel is taking to the Russian equipment and training? I assume everything is going alright and Chavez sure has the money to fix things if things aren't.

By 2013 if the military still gets the funding, support, and training then yes they should have a modern military and very well equipped. I don't think Chavez will let the military get to powerful it's just a feeling.

Do you know much about their military now? I found stuff saying they were pretty good as far maintenance and training but years back when they were American friendly.

Thanks

Last edited:

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Wow, venezuela has really impressed me. In terms of military Modernization, i believe Venezuela is on the top of the list. Their modernization drive is thorough!
Amazing. new fighters, including yet to receive Superflanker SU 35, Tankers, transport planes/helicopters, T90's, BMP's, towed artillery, Tor SAM, AK 101's, Submarines, warships.. wow.. I'm jealous.

Amazing what can be bought when you are swimming in oil. BUT fancy toys are not the only aspect of a potent defence force. Training, quality of leadership, tactics are all part of the equasion.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The fighter order definelty needs to be ramped up, as they still have their F-5s to replace. I think they're waiting for the Su-35BM for that. The main reason that the F-16's needed to be replaced ASAP was because of maintenance issues. I suspect that F-5 maintenance is far easier both in terms of the maintenance, and in terms of spare parts (for example Iran reverse engineered ones, or other sources), but they're getting close to the point where they will be falling apart in mid-air from old age. Hence why they can afford to wait some for the more advanced plane, but not much longer.

As for training, leadership, and maintenance, about the only thing I can add is that a service and maintenance center for the Flankers is being built in Venezuela by Russia.

EDIT: And following up on the earlier BMP-3 request, Venezuela is now consider a T-72 purchase to replace the AMX-30s. Allegedly 100-500 tanks.

http://arms-tass.su/?page=article&aid=61506&cid=24

Last edited:

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
It used to be Peru that had a ton of russian equiment (while Venezuela had western equipment)...

ROCK45

Chavez

Feanor- T-72s wow I would have thought something newer but AMX-30 is pretty old by itself.

tatra - You are correct about Peru use to be the one with the Russian equipment but that was the 70s, they still have it. T-55 still rocks on in sunny Peru and if I'm not mistaking I think they still fly their Su-22s.

I wonder if China might offer the type 96 tank or others wouldn't they be a bit more modern then a T-72?

Last edited:

nevidimka

What? why T 72's? Why not T 90's? I thought I read somewhere that they've shown interest on T 90's. Or perhaps they are starting to hit their limit on their budget.

Even the SAM systems were bought with Russian credit.

Perhaps they are keeping their backup dough's for the new SU 35BM's.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
They didn't buy any SAMs yet. That's rumors and speculation. Officially they expressed interest in them as far as I know. Most likely if they are T-72s, they will be from Russian Army reserves, as a cost saver. They are likely to go for T-90S in my mind because it's been effectively delivered to India and Algeria, and on a 500 unit deal they could get licensed production to sweeten the pill. Anyway time will tell.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
...... right...... they're interested in buying SAMs. The Tor M1's have been on their "wishlist" for years. So have the Amur class subs. Until we see a contract or at least an announcement that they're negoatiating a contract, it's all speculation.

macman

Thought that was what the loan was about:

_http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Venezuela_To_Spend_One_Billion_Dollar_Russian_Loan_On_Air_Defense_999.html

I'd also heard that Belarus was contracted to train them up with them, but don't have a laink.

nevidimka

So what do you suppose this 1 bil credit loan will b used for Feanor? IMO using it to buy and network their SAM protection is must.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think that the credit will be used up with the BMP and tank buy. If they buy is part of a larger deal, then that will take the entire loan and more.