BMP-3M..... for Whom?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
A contract has been signed with an Arab country for an unspecified number of BMP-3M IFVs. However we don't get to know which country or how many units, because the contract has not yet begun.

http://arms-tass.su/?page=article&aid=66674&cid=25

Any guesses? More orders from the UAE? The Saudi Arabian order finally materializing? Or something else?

lobbie111

A contract has been signed with an Arab country for an unspecified number of BMP-3M IFVs. However we don't get to know which country or how many units, because the contract has not yet begun.

http://arms-tass.su/?page=article&aid=66674&cid=25

Any guesses? More orders from the UAE? The Saudi Arabian order finally materializing? Or something else?
I thought it indicated a new buyer, possibly Saudi Arabians...they do take a lnog time to get the ball rolling

Tavarisch

Probably Saudi Arabia. They have around a hundred of these things and are probably want to expand their current inventory.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He's referring to the earlier rumors about a Saudi purchase. I don't think he realizes that the rumors never materialized. I was hoping you'd know something eckherl since you seem to be on top of these things.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
My bad. I assumed you were referencing the persistent rumors about a Saudi purchase of ~150 BMP-3s.

dragonfire

I think its the KSA (Saudi), there were some reports which suggested the same at the begining of the month, i was able to find only this article now which talks about the possible sale of 100 BMP-3s for Saudi

The arms talks between Saudi Arabia and Russia are reported to be now focusing on a contract for at least 100 BMP-3 infantry combat vehicles. Note that the talks also focus on 150 Russian-made helicopters, including Mi-17 transport helicopters and Mi-35 attack helicopters, as well as on 150 T-90C main battle tanks and 20 medium-range Buk-M2E air defence systems. The following 226-word report focuses on the issue and tells why there is now a focus on a BMP-3 deal.
http://www.tacticalreport.com/articles.php?pid=2&art_id=488

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does either UAE or Kuwait have needs for a follow-on order?

For the Saudis 100 would be a trial run so to speak. Realistically they need many more then that if they hope to replace any of their serving APCs.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Does either UAE or Kuwait have needs for a follow-on order?

For the Saudis 100 would be a trial run so to speak. Realistically they need many more then that if they hope to replace any of their serving APCs.
I know that UAE is interested in placing the BMP 3 turret on a 8X8 wheeled platform called Patria.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well the Bakcha-U firing module (I'm assuming that's what you mean) is already available on the BTR-90A. I don't know how likely our gov. is to agree to a joint project. Do you happen to have any articles on the matter? Google didn't come up with anything good, only some speculations about them being ordered with BMP-3 turrets. Nothing about Rosoboroneksport actually receiving the request.

Btw here's another photo: http://www.armyrecognition.com/moye...mages/IDEX_2007_Dynamic_Demonstration_006.jpg

You know, now that I think about it, could the potential BMP-3 deal include some BMP-3 delivered fully, and in addition just a number of Bakhcha-U modules? I would imagine it would require ToT to integrate it into the Patria AMV, which would once again imply need for some serious negotiations.

Tavarisch

Feanor, can the Bakcha-U module be fitted on NATO APCs?

I'd very much like to see a Stryker or an Adnan with a Bakcha-U. :)

Almaleki

Why didnt any body thought about Iraq as Almaleki is Going to Mosocow in the next weeks and he will surley look for Weapons as Novesti ( An Russian MOD Internet Channel ) said that Iraq is the Biggest Importer in the Year 2008 for Weaponary We bought Weapons equal for 20 Billion between 2004 to 2008 and in Just 2008 we bought with 12.98 Billion (read that on Iraqi Newspaper will look for it soon ) as the Ambossador of Iraq in Russian in an Interview with Novesti said that Iraq May look for Russian Made weapons and that 90% of the EX-Iraqi Army Weapons was Russian and as Almaleki is looking for putting back the At least Half of the ex-Army who was trained on the Russian Made Weapons ,, Iraq is going to see some Made iN Russia Stuff in His Army ,, But NOT OLD STUFF as MOD Minister is Looking just For New or refuirbished weapons ... So Iraq is Not bad Choice and more of that we Have Egypt and Syria that i think they may look for that Vehicle

Almaleki

Important Point :

Iraq Declined BMP-3EI Before 2 Years from American Company which was very Indeed not good Price and a theft in the Daylight ( just like the 2000 T-72M TANKS FOR THE SAME COMPANY ) ,, the Vehicle was just about to be accepted but Congress stoped it ,, and i think Iraq is impressed about the APC and is looking to buy it

Almaleki

Important Point :

Iraq Declined BMP-3EI Before 2 Years from American Company which was very Indeed not good Price and a theft in the Daylight ( just like the 2000 T-72M TANKS FOR THE SAME COMPANY ) ,, the Vehicle was just about to be accepted but Congress stoped it ,, and i think Iraq is impressed about the APC and is looking to buy it