Australian Army Reserve and Asthma

Hey, I'm 18 years old and planning on enlisting in the Australian Army Reserve over summer as a rifleman. I have really mild asthma and for about two years I've been on a low dosage preventer. I know this is a medical issue that I'll have to take up with the medical guys in recruiting but does anyone think this'll disqualify me? I exercise heaps and never need any asthma medication aside from the preventer, it's like I don't even have asthma at all cause I don't need to worry about it.

Thanks for your comments.

Cooch

For what it's worth, and that probably isn't much as it's more years than I care to admit since I went through the enlistment medical......

The attitude at that time was that as long as you could pass the physical standards, such minor medication would not disqualify you. This was confirmed by a serving member whose requirement to carry a puffer at all times was considered no different from the requirement of those who needed vision correction, to wear spectacles.

I strongly suggest that you start the enlistment process, answer honestly when the medical examiner asks whether you've ever had asthma.... and let them take it from there.

Good luck.............. Peter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks mate, that's terrific!

Does anyone know what the situation with asthma's been like recently?

NewArmyWriter08

on the same note i was wondering.
i have chrone's disease i dont think i'd be allowed in does anybody know of anyone already in that has it ? just curious